Fees increasing?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
A lot of folks say let their wallets do the talking,from the reaction to this thread,it seems that is exactly what will happen.If Dish starts losing customers,customers lowering packages,or customers downgrading equipment,in a large enough volume they'll clearly get the message.

Would be intresting to see if folks follow through. I know I am looking at dropping BB@home with this increase

The times I've talked about switching from dish back to dtv to the csr's online they respond with well dtv increases fees yearly and their packages are over 80 bucks.

I will be dropping bb@home and maybe drop from 250 also. This is really getting out of hand. Really no point of being a loyal customer anymore, may have to look at new customer options elsewhere.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Would be intresting to see if folks follow through. I know I am looking at dropping BB@home with this increase

For me, it is not an idle threat. I love the hoppers but I personally can not justify $100+ for TV, plus Internet, plus Netflix, plus amazon, ect when the content seems to overlap. I've gotten fond of saving money where I can, even if we can afford it, this is just one more area.

I will be cutting something (be it equipment, programming, or both) , swapping early for a lower price, or cutting all pay tv and going Internet options and ota only, which would really get me most of what we watch, just maybe a day later, which to be honest, dish has trained me to do on some shows with Ptat and auto hop.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I just did an online chat and followed up with email informing Dish that that day the announcement is officially made I will drop the PP, drop a Joey and switch from the AEP to AT250 with 2 premiums, a $33 savings to offset the $11 increase.

Ohhh now I get it the fee hikes are to pay for the inevitable Autohop lawsuits... I don't even use Autohop!!!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

That was the justification several years ago when they changed the DVR fee to per account to per receiver, as they had to start banking money if they lost the TIVO lawsuit.

Looks like this is whats happening here, as they are probably getting ready to have to pay a licensing fee or something to the networks to be able to use auto-hop.

Uhhhhh whatever you call it it's still $14 for that first Hopper!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Uhhhhhh....just to make sure some newcomers don't think it's $14.00 (WH) + $14.00 for first Hopper.

Fixed.

Wish I had Fios in my area.
Meh, nevermind, I just checked the internet/TV bundle price at my parents' address to compare what I currently have with Dish and Comcast separately. After the 12 month $25 discounts, the total price is at least as much as I'm currently paying now for similar services and similar TVs. In fact, what puts Fios price up there is their monthly receiver fees are even higher ($26-31) than Dish for 2 TVs, depending on which DVR I select. And their recording space is dismal (80 hours SD, 20 hours HD). Even with all these fee increases Dish is still competitive.

While thinking about this increase, this thought popped into my head. Why didn't Dish increase these fees in Feb? Being a cynical person two thoughts came to me. The obvious one that others have alluded to was to get more two year contracts with the HWS. But Dish might be preparing to release a six tuner Hopper next year. If they are (I don't really know), this would encourage a lot of two Hopper subscribers to upgrade and then Dish would be getting another round of $100/$200 upgrade fees to go with it.

Meh, nevermind, I just checked the internet/TV bundle price at my parents' address to compare what I currently have with Dish and Comcast separately. After the 12 month $25 discounts, the total price is at least as much as I'm currently paying now for similar services and similar TVs. In fact, what puts Fios price up there is their monthly receiver fees are even higher ($26-31) than Dish for 2 TVs, depending on which DVR I select. And their recording space is dismal (80 hours SD, 20 hours HD). Even with all these fee increases Dish is still competitive.

This is why I ALWAYS recommend to people going to cable to go with either Windows Media Center or a Tivo as your dvr. They are both well worth the upfront costs. Cabelco equipment is primitive and over-priced.

I have to say I am nearly speechless after reading this announcement. I have been a loyal Dish customer for 17 years and have been one of their loudest supporters. I have also been against switching providers every 2 years to get the new customer discounts because I feel that behavior raises prices for us all, especially the loyal. That said, I feel really betrayed by this news. I remember when the first big fee increase came a few years back prior to the release of the Hopper and how the justification was that Dish froze their package prices for 2 years. It was a big hit but we sucked it up. Then they announced the Hopper and I remember clearly when Scott broke the news to us that the first Joey on an account was not going to be free essentially because it was giving you HD on 2 TVs. It also added the whole home DVR fee which raised the price even further. So I held off upgrading for about 8 months because my bill was going to go up $28 a month with the H/J fees. But I finally caved and upgraded 7 months ago only to see the package prices raised shortly after so my bill went up more than expected. Now I find out that the whole home fee is going up ANOTHER $4 and the second Hopper is going up 100%! That is more than outrageous, it is absolutely ridiculous to pay $14 for a reciever that only feeds 1 TV! I have to say for the first time since I have been with Dish for 17 years I am actually considering switching to Direct when my 2 year committment is up. I never thought I would think of it. Did I mention I have been with Dish for 17 years? I started at $19.99 a month and now pay over $130 a month. I can't bear much more and feel really betrayed bottom line.

Shhhhhhh! Nobody wants to hear that.;)

A lot of folks say let their wallets do the talking,from the reaction to this thread,it seems that is exactly what will happen.If Dish starts losing customers,customers lowering packages,or customers downgrading equipment,in a large enough volume they'll clearly get the message.
Don't worry, the vast majority of those threatening to switch/cancel/etc will do ... nothing.

Sure they are competitive but,that goes against everything the little company that could,was based upon.We could always count on Dish to be the low price leader.Not anymore.The way I see it,if they are going to charge as much as everyone else,then they need to offer as much as everyone else.What I mean by that,full time rsns,the full suite of Disney and ESPN in HD,NFL Sunday Ticket,and MLB Extra Innings.The sport packages are the very thing that always made DTV more expensive,now Dish is practically the same price,yet they don't have the content to justify it.If your going to be a premium content provider,and charge premium prices,then you have to have premium content.

Just boggles my mind how easy it has become for Dish to raise rates these days.A $2 increase wouldn't be so bad but minimum of $4 on top of a $5 increase in Feb?Not a sound business model imho.

Don't worry, the vast majority of those threatening to switch/cancel/etc will do ... nothing.

60/40 is my bet.:D I can tell you this,I have been a pretty loyal Dish supporter for many years,if I had an $11 increase slapped on top of a $5 increase,there would be no threats.Dish would be history in this household.I'm just waiting for them to raise the dvr fees on vips next.

Well downgrading or cancelling has been on my mind lately because I have a dog whose seizures are getting closer together and I have to purchase medication for her and have blood work done that'll cost $1000/year so this only makes it easier to cancel the day my 2 year contract expires or the total ETF becomes lower than my current DISH bill.

Here is a question; Do I have to keep all of my Joeys when my 2 year contract is up? Can I just call DISH and tell them to send me a box and take two of their Joeys back ? (if I did decide to keep DISH)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)