Fees increasing?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Again, the source of confusion. Whole Home fee up $4.00. Not first Hopper.
The problem with that is my one and only hopper (no joeys in the house) required a "whole home" fee. I shouldn't have to pay a whole home fee at all because there was only one device in my home. So no matter what Dish calls it, it really is a "first hopper" fee.

The problem with that is my one and only hopper (no joeys in the house) required a "whole home" fee. I shouldn't have to pay a whole home fee at all because there was only one device in my home. So no matter what Dish calls it, it really is a "first hopper" fee.

I agree. Just do away with the "Dvr fee and whole house dvr fee" and just link it to the hopper. Much simpler to say it is $14.00 per hopper and $7.00 per joey. But I am sure that if DISH did this , they would soon link this idea to the VIP Series and start charging $17.00 for each Vip 622/722/722k on your account too. They tried something like this before when they charged a $6.00 dvr fee PER DVR on your account in the past. This backfired on them and they tried to hide their dvr fees into the additional receiver fees for the VIP series back in February of 2010. That is when they went with the outrageous $17.00 additional receiver fee that forced many, like me,to have to get rid of all additional Vip dvrs on their account. I had 3 Vip dvrs and had to get rid of two and go with two 211ks with dvr software and my external hard drives to get around the extra $20.00 a month I would of had to pay. Now History is repeating itself with the new $14.00 hopper fee. DISH never learns from it's past mistakes.

Yes, I suspect you are not alone. But, with the constant march of inflation and provider programming fee increases, Dish will have no choice but to raise prices. Eventually other alternatives like internet video will eventually be the low cost alternative.
Of course, as Internet video becomes the norm, and TV's & set top boxes develop to take advantage of it, "they" will find a way to start charging more and more for it. And I think the charges will come faster and steeper than Satellite or cable because we have much more technology today then we had when satellite and cable started out. They had to develop everything while competing with free TV. Internet TV has been able to quietly develop what is needed, while satellite & cable were trying to "one up" each other.
Ghpr13

The other day in the installer zone 1 of the inhouse dish guys said he had to meet a $2500 deductible on his med ins before it would cover anything. Yet dish has $25 billion to offer sprint. :confused:

Most company health insurance is going this route, I'm sad to say. I'm on the health insurance board for my company, and that is exactly the type of plan we offer. The other option is to make employees pay huge premiums, which no one (including myself) wants to do. With costs soaring we have no choice. It's not greed, it's reality. Just wait until the ACA ("Obamacare") regulations kick in. There are so many regulations employers must now comply with, it's staggering. There's so much more to health care than anyone realizes. I wish we could just socialize it and get it over with. (let the flame wars begin!!) ;)

Last edited:
My employer gives us an option for an HMO or a high-deductible PPO plan with a $3000 deductible. The high-deductible plan actually is the better deal because it is $4800 less in annual premiums, and there is a $5000 out-of-pocket maximum.

My employer gives us an option for an HMO or a high-deductible PPO plan with a $3000 deductible. The high-deductible plan actually is the better deal because it is $4800 less in annual premiums, and there is a $5000 out-of-pocket maximum.

You're right, the high deductible plans are usually cheaper in the long run, especially when you use an FSA or HSA with the plan. The difficult part is educating the employees so they see the long-term savings.

OK, I'm really confused by the discussion in this thread. I just ordered new Dish service last week but have yet to have it installed. My invoice, as far as I can tell, doesn't show a "whole home" fee. I see a $10 "DVR service" fee and a $7 Joey fee. Is it this "DVR service" fee that is going to go up $4? And even though I'll be signing a contract for two years, they're not notifying new customers about this yet?

OK, I'm really confused by the discussion in this thread. I just ordered new Dish service last week but have yet to have it installed. My invoice, as far as I can tell, doesn't show a "whole home" fee. I see a $10 "DVR service" fee and a $7 Joey fee. Is it this "DVR service" fee that is going to go up $4? And even though I'll be signing a contract for two years, they're not notifying new customers about this yet?

The dvr fee is the same thing as the whole house fee. It will go up to $14.00 next month when and if DISH gets around to informing us of their FEE increase. I heard some where around May 21st? But I am not sure about the date. And when it comes to notifying new subs of the potential increase, of course they won't tell you that. Then you wouldn't sign up and get into a 24 month contract where they can extort the new fee increases from you. Besides it says in their service agreement, that they can have price and equipment fee increases basically when ever they want to , or words to that affect.

Wow. May need to rethink this. I can see a $1 or less increase every so often, but 40% at once for one DVR? Hard to see how that's defensible, particularly with so many customers on contract.

The new fee pricing hasn't been officially announced yet. Until it is, they won't advertise it.

While I have not seen anything, yet, regarding equipment fee raises I did receive this in my email yesterday:

Dear Robert,

We work hard every day to keep our costs as low as possible, but we still incur rate increases from our programmers. As a result, we periodically have to increase our prices. Effective with your next bill on or after May 22, 2013, the price on certain full and half price programming packages will increase. To review or make changes to your programming, log into your account at mydish.com/myprogramming.

Programming Package Price Increase New Price
DISHLatino Plus¹ $4 $41.99/month
Multi Sport Pack $2 $11.00/month
Outdoor Sports Package $1 $4.00/month

Thank you for being a valued DISH customer.

Wow!

So not only are equipment fees increasing, some programming fees also. So that makes 3 increases since the first of the year.

Unbelievable!

Perhaps some posts should be broken off into a new Health Care thread.

BTW, some ACA provisions have already taken effect, with perhaps most kicking in 1/1/14 or for plans renewing on or after that date.

Just read at DBSTalk that annual subs are going away effective right now. Guy talked about it and even posted the email/snail mail he got about it.

It really appears that the direction Dish is going is UP these days, as in UP in cost from many segments of the billing! :(

I think if DISH lowered its equipment fees, they would probably have more customers and more sticky customers which would mean increased revenue overall.

I agree with you Scott.

While it is bad enough that we have the annual increases (so much for complaining about the 'cable pig' huh?), to have not only them, but some follow on fee increases very soon after the annual should result in quite a bit of churn.

While I'm very pleased with the Hopper and overall pleased with Dish, I can't say they are doing anything right now to make me want to show any of that 'company loyalty' some fanbois are always blathering on about. Nope, the most it does for me is to make me set a calendar event for the month that switching makes financial sense, and that isn't 2 years!

If a few more 'fees' go up with Dish, I might just eat a relatively small financial bite and switch anyway.

Off to grumble at the live in... :)

Made my move. Luckily, with Velocity being moved out of the BB@Home package, I no longer had need for it. Without the equipment fees going up, I'd have probably kept it since I occasionally watch the other channels or got get a DVD by mail, but with the fees going up, it made the choice to drop easier. It also jogged my memory that I still needed to drop the PP, too.

Wow...38,000+ thread views in 6 days. Way to stir up the Good Will with the home crowd, Dish!

Dish - :boink: - Subs

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts