FF Updates more than most change their uderwear

Firefox is changing with v10. It will be considered a long term release. Those that want to stay on the fast path, will be able to move to v11, v12, etc. The fixes will be back ported to v10, which will become v10.0.1, v10.0.2, etc. I'm not sure when they'll push the v10 users up to a newer release, but I believe you'll get at least 18 months on v10 before being told to change. This change came about because companies have been complaining loudly to Mozilla about this rapid release cycle.

Interesting, gonna be a splintered browser soon, what a mess this type of versioning will cause headaches for many.

As long as they do not do with Chrome does and remove the menu bar option. The only reason I do not use Chrome is because they do not have a menu bar.

Heh, this used to bother me, but once I found I could turn the bookmarks toolbar back on the rest was no problem. Only ever need any of those options to access preferences from time to time, everything else (new window, tab, bookmark, etc) all easily accessible via other parts of the UI or keyboard shortcuts. I need to setup the sync so that all my browsers are the same, really nice feature (syncs bookmarks, history, etc).

Used to be a FF-only guy until a little bit after Chrome was released. Everyone else has roughly caught back up in the speed department, but IE/FF still feel kinda slow/bulky to me.

Interesting, gonna be a splintered browser soon, what a mess this type of versioning will cause headaches for many.

Not any different than what some Linux systems do. Their are the frequent releases and the LTS releases. You get on the LTS for more stability. Besides, I've felt Firefox has shot themselves in the foot with this frequency release cycle. They may have worked things out finally with the extensions, but they totally killed off the corporate users. All those we going to move back to IE because they don't want the rapid release cycle.

Frankly, I have felt that Firefox's and Chrome's, oh, I changed one feature, lets go from version X.a to Y.a just ridiculous. Firefox only did it to make it seem like they weren't falling behind the version number changes.

I just tried it on OSX (in fact I am typing this now using Chrome on OSX). Does it have a menubar? Sort of. The browser itself does not have a menubar tab. It is that OSX has a menu bar that is always part of the window that changes depending on which program you have opened. It is the OS menubar itself.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-01-16 at 7.07.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-01-16 at 7.07.05 AM.png
    46.3 KB · Views: 120
  • Screen Shot 2012-01-16 at 7.06.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-01-16 at 7.06.08 AM.png
    41.9 KB · Views: 100
  • Screen Shot 2012-01-16 at 7.18.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-01-16 at 7.18.26 AM.png
    43.8 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
I just tried it on OSX (in fact I am typing this now using Chrome on OSX). Does it have a menubar? Sort of. The browser itself does not have a menubar tab. It is that OSX has a menu bar that is always part of the window that changes depending on which program you have opened. It is the OS menubar itself.

You just need to leave the Microsoft paradigm of menus attached to programs. The Menu Bar in Chrome in OSX is where the menu bar is in ALL OSX apps, at the top of the screen, with the common structure of the apple, App title, file, edit menus ALWAYS first, and Help always last, and whatever the program wants in between. The History and Bookmarks menu items are very useful in Chrome via OSX.

It took me 3 weeks to get used to the OSX menu system, and now I would never go back. Initially I ran SPSS 19 in "Windows" mode, with the menus attached to the main SPSS window, and quickly abandoned it, as I prefer the consistency of OSX.

BUT back to the original topic, I tried the newest Firefox on my mac, and was unimpressed. Its still installed for occasional web page testing, but somehow Firefox lost its magic for me a good year or two ago.

What do you need access to in the menus so consistently? History is available by clicking and holding on the back button, history in a new tab can be achieved by middle clicking on the back button then doing the above in the new tab. Command-N, T, P for new window, tab, and printing, only thing I have tweak when I install Chrome is turning on the permanent bookmarks toolbar.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

You just need to leave the Microsoft paradigm of menus attached to programs. The Menu Bar in Chrome in OSX is where the menu bar is in ALL OSX apps, at the top of the screen, with the common structure of the apple, App title, file, edit menus ALWAYS first, and Help always last, and whatever the program wants in between. The History and Bookmarks menu items are very useful in Chrome via OSX.
That is pretty much the same thing I said.

It still doesn't resolve the issue of Chrome not having a menu bar for Windows.

What do you need access to in the menus so consistently? History is available by clicking and holding on the back button, history in a new tab can be achieved by middle clicking on the back button then doing the above in the new tab. Command-N, T, P for new window, tab, and printing, only thing I have tweak when I install Chrome is turning on the permanent bookmarks toolbar.

I use the menu bar more than any other single thing. It is a simple hierarchy of folders and menus which is the ideal tool for me. It is also the least intrusive bar taking up the least amount of space.

Not any different than what some Linux systems do. Their are the frequent releases and the LTS releases. You get on the LTS for more stability. Besides, I've felt Firefox has shot themselves in the foot with this frequency release cycle. They may have worked things out finally with the extensions, but they totally killed off the corporate users. All those we going to move back to IE because they don't want the rapid release cycle.

Frankly, I have felt that Firefox's and Chrome's, oh, I changed one feature, lets go from version X.a to Y.a just ridiculous. Firefox only did it to make it seem like they weren't falling behind the version number changes.

I wasn't implying they were the only ones, but unlike Linux, FF is very visible with even the non-technically inclined. FF and Linux versioning is like comparing apples and gorrilla's to 90% of the internet audience.

That is pretty much the same thing I said.

It still doesn't resolve the issue of Chrome not having a menu bar for Windows.

Yeah, but many of the new Windows applications are getting rid of the menu bar. Ribbon is taking over on many. I laugh at work because everybody complains about MS Office's lack of a menu bar, but on OS X you get both. The Ribbon and the menu bar. Yes the menu bar is at the top of the screen, but that is standard for ALL applications on OS X.

I use the menu bar more than any other single thing. It is a simple hierarchy of folders and menus which is the ideal tool for me. It is also the least intrusive bar taking up the least amount of space.

You didnt answer the question though, if you use it so much, what is it you use it for, or do you not use ant keyboard shortcuts at all and switch between windows/tabs with the window dropdown, etc?

meStevo said:
You didnt answer the question though, if you use it so much, what is it you use it for, or do you not use ant keyboard shortcuts at all and switch between windows/tabs with the window dropdown, etc?

Everything.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

How I let myself get sucked into that inane discussion AGAIN is beyond me, but .....

back on topic, for the life of me I can not understand the logic that FF is using with this massive set of version changes. It can only create confusion on the part of end users.

I defer to the point rocky was making then. ...

There is no need to keep going in circles. Why are you guys so adamant on trying to convince me that something I do not care for is the holly grail of browsers? I tried Chrome, I don't like the UI. Constantly beating this dead horse is not going to resolve anything. I am not trying to convince you that FF is the best option.

I use Windows and I prefer Windows; I cannot use OSx on my computers anyway even if I wanted to (which I don't), so bringing up OSx is not relevant to issue. I use the menu bar for my browser and I prefer the menu bar on my browser. Chrome does not provide that option for Windows so I chose to not use it. FF does have that option so it is the better choice for me.

I am glad there are many browser options available for many different personal preferences. I am glad that you find Chrome preferable and have that option to use it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)