This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

FierceCable: DirecTV ads warn viewers to 'get rid of cable'

Do you like DirecTV's ads warning viewers to "get rid of cable?"

• Yes

Votes: 28 82.4%
  • No

Votes: 6 17.6%

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mojo Jojo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 19, 2009
US

Read more: DirecTV ads warn viewers to 'get rid of cable' - FierceCable DirecTV ads warn viewers to 'get rid of cable' - FierceCable
Subscribe: Cable Industry News, Cable Business News, Cable Newsletter - FierceCable

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont think I have seen the other two. But I have seen the first one on TV, kind of funny

What's cable?

Oh yeah.....thats the thing with the colecovision guide and coming 2/1 higher DVR prices than Dish
17.95 for a dual tuner single output DVR
(Crapcast)

The Roadside Ditch was the first one I saw weeks ago. I was rolling on the floor laughing at my brother who lives in NY. Consequently he has TWC and between the ridiculous looking guide, long pause between changing channels, and the weekly box freeze ups, he is stuck because his apartment building can not get satellite

Any time I get tricked into watching an advertisement I know its a good one. Excellent marketing job with those new .

I work in advertising, and believe the best ads create a sense of wonder about the product. The *best* satellite system ads ever produced have to be the initial run from Primestar when they went digital--I still remember these whenever I open up/try out a really cool new piece of technology:
PrimeStar Launch SuperBowl Commercial - YouTube

Rather than relying on humor or bitching about cable, they should modernize this concept... show WHY their product is better than cable (other than "it goes out" or "I get put on hold") and make people want it. In the same vein as the Primestar ads, I'd say the best modern example of this is what Virgin Media did in the UK with Tivo. We all know what a Tivo does (btw, my Premieres just got the new v20.x software similar to the Virgin boxes Saturday night--yay --but D* could do something like this for their DVRs--maybe break it up into 30's and 60's:
UK Virgin Media TiVo - YouTube

I know the modern way of thinking is that there is no way to create wonder in a product that people are used to or is a commodity (or the most annoying one that people won't make up their minds unless their friends do it for them w/ social media)--but I don't buy it, and although the D* ads mentioned by the OP are better than some of their other efforts (and blow away most marketing E* does since I'm convinced they do a lot of it in house), I'd like to seem them do something that doesn't rely on pure humor.

--Nat

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.