FILMFEST HD: JAMES BOND HD (17 Titles)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Mr_Crowley said:
Imo, Connery was the best with the rest of the other Bonds way below.
Yep, he set the standard. Oddly enough, Ian Fleming was not much of a fan until after a couple of the movies were hits.

my complaint is finding the time to watch them and the 622s hardrive is at the edge. I've yet to see a video image problem other than breakup in slomo playback.
While I thoroughly am enjoying the programming, I'm amazed at how much movies have dated themselves apart from my memory. The use of music as an effective tool started with Easy Rider and then Star Wars. The acting wasn't as wonderful as I'd remembered. I think Sean Connery has grown as an actor way beyond the Bond years.

Last edited:
Watched "From Russia From Love" last night audio synq problems. A lot of 'film pop' (sparkles) and in dark seens alot of black ghosting. Saw a couple of short segments that the film looked dirty. Some of this could be attributed to the original film stock, but I'm not sure all of it. I spoke to soon about everything being great. I do enjoy the experience, though

So far so good in my viewing of these on my 942...very nice looking transfers imho, not perfect PQ, but nice. I don't think I've seen most of these films look as good (daresay "Moonraker" looked better than it did when I saw it in the theater as a kid). As for the 'best Bond', they're all w/ their strengths, I'd say. Connery was the iconic sexy brawler, Moore was the one I grew up with and had that camp thing, Timothy Dalton was the most realistic/earnest (and was WAY short-shafted by the most meager movie budgets of the series), and Pierce Brosnan was perhaps the most sophisticated/debonaire of the lot. Those later films are going to look spectacular in HD...but you can't beat Connery coming out of his wetsuit w/ a white tux on underneath, no matter the PQ. Classic.

On the technical side--no probs w/ playback/recording on my 942...hope my 622 fares as well when it gets swapped in next weekend.

I'm with folks...this makes my DVR capacity feel very small. When ARE we supposed to get the USB hard drive backup feature, anyway?!!

Last edited:
The color saturation and transfer quality seems to excell on the Roger Moore Bond flicks. The Connery flicks from the sixties, even those to have been archived well, seem to be losing some of their color.

The DVD releases of the Bond Films had GREAT color. Whoever is working on the transfers needs to do a better job.....

Mr_Crowley said:
Imo, Connery was the best with the rest of the other Bonds way below.

Lazenby was too dull for me. I LIKED Dalton. He was dark when he needed to be, but could put on the charm as well...... His problem was that they made him "safe" due to the safe sex thing prevalent at the time. It took away a little of his appeal.

They let Brosnan go back to his old ways and he did a great job. I liked Moore, but he was playing the comedy angle too much.... Connery was the master, and played it all perfectly.....

I was in a bar last year with 8 other guys and we were discussing the various Bonds. Moore was listed as the least favorite on 7 of 9 ballots. Too bad Dalton didn't do more Bonds, I thought he was far more believable as a British secret agent than the cartoonish Moore. Fleming never wrote the role as a comic one.

I was watching "A License to Kill" a couple of days ago and was very disappointed in how soft the image was. Softer than many of my DVDs. Some of the others were better.

Right now I'm semi-watching the new Carlito's Way on Showtime, off of 61.5. I know Showtime isn't given much bandwidth, but this it is much sharper & more detailed than VOOM. But I have noticed a little mosquito noise on surfaces

Well we all know that the worst Bond has to be the guy coming up.

A blond hair blue eyed guy with an attitude and know class, WTF is that?

Bye bye, Bonds. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

:eek: Man, I'm glad that's over. Just watched my first voOm movie in a month.

No, TheTimm, I expect you to die.

In case you take that seriously, it's a modified quote from a bond movie. The Bond fest was the best thing ever on Voom's history, so good riddance to you sir.

Better than Groundhog Day ?!!!! Surely you're not serious! :p

In all seriousness I hope in the future voOm will reserve FilmFest for a variety of movies. For those of us with just the three movie stations (FilmFest, Kung-Fu, Monsters), it's the only one that isn't specialized niche programming. For the entire month of June I had three voOm movie channels, each one featuring movies from a genre I don't particularly care for.

I'm not even crazy about today/yesterday's music-centric programming on FilmFest. Although I do like the programming they're showing, I think it would fit in nicely on RAVE -- leaving FilmFest for a variety of movies.

Oh, I'd love to have it -- but not at the cost it would take. Last time I talked to the Dish folks they were talking about needing to get a new receiver and subscribe to at least the AT 60 and blah blah cha ching.... ~! If I remember correctly it was a few hundred out of my pocket, not to mention the more important tripling or so of my monthly bill (currently $20.99).

I know I'm missing out on some great movies, but it just not in my budget to spend that much on TV programming. So I just wish they'd keep FilmFest as a variety channel. Or I'll just watch more HDNet Movies.

Yep, I too catch a fair number of movies on WorldCinema...just don't seem to have time to post reviews these days since my wife and I both going back in school, recertifcation, etc. I really wish VOOM would add another movie channel or two...or at least replace KungFu with GuyTV; KungFu flicks can always be shown on GuyTV.

DishHD Platinum is actually a bargain (sans VOOM-Lite and MPEG-4 problems), but the DishHD pricing is heavily skewed toward the "everything" user. Once the summer is over, we won't be watching much TV and it doesn't make much sense to scale back to HD Only (if available) or DishHD Gold since the majority of the channels we watch will disappear...and DishHD Gold with three receivers (2 of which are 622) doesn't save much money after paying those additional receiver and DVR fees. Heck, I don't think DishHD Stand Alone is even possible and DishHD Gold would be $84.94. Since more than half of our viewing is OTA, the only thing that makes sense is to cancel E* service in September or have the account placed on vacation until Christmas.

Sorry to get off-topic...

I loved Bond Fest. I hope they do it again some time in the future. Most of the movies they play on there I don't care about, but the Bond movies were great!