FINALLY BUILDING CUSTOM STB HTPC for FTA

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
You're discovering why I eventually abandoned my quest for a HTCP DVB receiver.
I think a large part of this is that in the US, most want to use Windows-based computers for something where most of the development is happening in other countries on *nix-like platforms (either STBs or computers).

I somewhat agree but the larger limiting factor is not related to OS preferences rather there are just too few people interested to warrant development on PC platform. That being said, I've been toying with the idea of installing OpenPCTV but it hasn't reached the top of the "list" of things I want to do.

I somewhat agree but the larger limiting factor is not related to OS preferences rather there are just too few people interested to warrant development on PC platform.
With the advent of modern SOCs like the Raspberry Pi and other less recognizable chips from Amlogic, Rockchip and Realtek, the STB has all the underpinnings of a PC. Under Linux (or Android), they can run the same software as x86 desktop computers and in some cases, the software doesn't even need to be recompiled.

It isn't impossible for HTPCs, just a lot more difficult for ones that are running Windows. At the same time, there's the issue of content protection and that's not well supported on systems that don't run Windows or MacOS but as long as your tooling around in the FTA domain, I don't suppose that's an issue.

Agreed, today's STB are really mini PCs, particularly the new STBs running E2 which are quite capable. IMHO, most of the Android DVB-S2 apps sort of suck leaving you with Kodi on Android, or LibreELEC, or some custom E2 builds which isn't great on most "Android" boxes no matter the SOC. The only Android app exception may be the GTC which from YouTube videos, the S2 app looks similar to their STBs however the box doesn't have Widevine L1. My initial comments in this thread are really more directed to the original topic of this thread which is building an HPTC (x86) STB for DVB-S2. Staying on that topic, there aren't great software options for a STB like experience no matter the OS because the number of people interested just doesn't exist. Could I get E2 running on a PC and end up with nice setup? Assuming I could get drivers loaded for a new TBS S2 tuner I think so but it would likely be solo project given the lack of others pursuing similar setup. For my needs, the only reason I'd like a PC is to view 4:2:2 feeds however I don't discount the interests/needs others may have for a wanting an S2 HTPC or just the fun putting the box together from components.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts