Finally Did It!

Press Menu, Settings, Screen Adjustments, HDTV, and make sure 1080p/1080i or 720p is selected (pick the one that matches your TV) and the aspect ratio is set on 16x9.

When viewing a program, press the "FORMAT" button in the lower-left corner of the remote and make sure it's on "Normal".

Press Menu, Settings, Screen Adjustments, HDTV, and make sure 1080p/1080i or 720p is selected (pick the one that matches your TV) and the aspect ratio is set on 16x9.

When viewing a program, press the "FORMAT" button in the lower-left corner of the remote and make sure it's on "Normal".
Thanks, that's not it though. As I go through the menu I see many "channels" actually have two channels with the same number, one with and one without, the HD icon.

Haha !! Yes, that's exactly what you're seeing. I'm positive that in the past, the default setting actually HID the non-HD channels when there was an HD equivalent. Or maybe the installers always changed it to that. Trust me, you want to - and there's no risk in doing this - change that setting.

Menu, Settings, Guide Settings, Format Guide >> Under Channel Preferences, select "HD Channels". Yours is currently on "HD and SD Channels".

The installers always changed it. I remember when they released the "HD only" option for when you have duplicate channels. It was before the hopper, on the 722. It was about the same time(maybe a little before) they took away the setting for "All channels" within the guide as a setting. Now you have to manually select it every time.