Finally got my bud recabled and my corotor attached to my bud

Status
Please reply by conversation.

drhydro

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
Well I managed to spend 3 out of my four days off last weekend working on my FTA/ BUD setup.

Friday i hooked up and buried new cable from from my BUD to my receiver(s) in my front room. I had been using used cable that came with the BUD, but there was only enough to just barely reach my basement, so originally i put my analog c band receiver / BUD positioner down there and controlled it with a UHF remote. It worked, but it werent purty ; ) Now the receiver is where it belongs, in my entertainment center.

Saturday I installed my new to me c/ku corotor. I had some issues in getting the feedhorn to fit properly within the existing scalar ring, it was off about a 32th of an inch smaller in diameter. A few shims and a lot of playing around with a signal meter finally got me very close to the perfect focal point.

This feedhorn came with a lower noise c band lnb than what i was using, 20 degress versus 45 degrees on my old LNB. I immediately noticed that with signal levels the same (analog) the picture is MUCH clearer, without sparklies.

Monday i hooked up the KU side of my corotor and started playing around with my new toy. I have noticed a few kinda funny things in using my setup but all in all i am very pleased.

After peaking the dish for a analog cband signal i often have to "bump" the dish to get the best signal for cband dvb. And after I peak the dish for c band dvb, i then have to really "fine peak" it to get in KU signals. Part of this (i am sure) is because my old analog c band reciever/ positioner is not as accurate on dish position as i really need for KU. I hope a different postioner (v box II) will cure most of this problem.

After i "fine peak" for KU band what i am getting for KU SQ is very good, much, much better than my 30" dish. The 30" winegard has a standard .5 LNB on it and the BUD has a standard .7 LNB on it.

For example Peoples network (amc 4) hits 99% quality for KU on the BUD, versus ~47% on my 30" winegard.

The Tube on g10 jumped up to 50% quality versus ~ 37% on the winegard. G10 is kind of a bad example tho, because i still have some adjustments to do on my BUD polar mount and on the ends of the arc i dont get as strong a signal as i should. G10 is pretty low on the arc for me.

All in all i am very satisfied with my setup, i think another 60 months of playing around and i will have it perfect ;)

Iceberg said:
We Want Pictures
As soon as i can get a digi camera over to my house i promise some pics. It might be a while tho, i have a feeling i am going to be spending my free time working on peaking my bud some more ;)

drhydro said:
As soon as i can get a digi camera over to my house i promise some pics. It might be a while tho, i have a feeling i am going to be spending my free time working on peaking my bud some more ;)

sweet :)
Just giving you guff dr hydro...I was the same way..no digital camera

Iceberg said:
sweet :)
Just giving you guff dr hydro...I was the same way..no digital camera
np problem iceberg, you just reminded me of something i need to put on my fathers day wish list : )

couple of things i should have stated in my first post to this thread.

1) the cable i purchased off of fleecebay is 4 strand c-band cable, not 5 strand like the BUD was originally installed with. One of the things i noticed immediately was that the wires to control the actuator in the 4 strand cable are of a smaller gauge than the 5 strand, close to 20 guage versus 18 guage.

2)Some of those KU sats are a real bugger to get. The sats that are c/ku with FTA signals on both c/ku are the easiest, but still not as easy as finding a c band (digital) signal. AMC3 is probably the hardest of all, but once i have the dish perfect it comes in with good sq, around 50%. The only sat. i havent been able to get at all is amc5, it is strictly ku band and i just cant find it lol.

As i said earlier tho, i still have to do some more work on setting up my polar mount. Once i have that done i am sure that signal quality will jump, esp on my lowest sats. I would have done that this weekend but finding an angle finder (inclinometer) in the area i live in was not possible.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)