Finally got my dish, have a few questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

timmy1376

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2004
Manhattan, KS
Ok boys, I finally climbed the roof at work and took down the DTN dish they are letting me use. Here is what I came home with. The dish will mount to a big corner post for a chain link fence, which I have, so I for now should be able to get it up and running tomorrow at no extra cost.

Will I be able to mount this to a motor ever? Just put in a short pipe in the dish, then use a U bolt to hook it to the motor?? Also, does anyone know anything about this lnb? It says Norsat Ku lnb, but other than that, I dont know much.

I am trying to get Galaxy 10R tomorrow.

Big pictures, so 56k beware.

timmy

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 185
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 158
  • Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 173
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 174
  • Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 151
Norsat is a good make but the LNBF will be old so a new LNBF would be nice, let us know what it says on it, but it should work. Getting the dish on a motor may be more of a challenge. I would remove as much weight as you can from the back of the dish and use your idea to fit U-bolts to it, but no hurry as you want to get a used to your dish by bagging a few satellites first. Check the below link, a member (ziplock) did the above type of dish modification and posted all the details, I would do the same thing with your dish, good luck tomorrow!

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=42450&highlight=Primestar

Thats the tricky part : ) If you are using a motor the elevation never changes so you would fabricate it to the elevation/declination found in the motor manual and you are done.
Looking at the above link/picture it looks like Ziplock used screwed rod with a couple of nuts to fine set the elevation/declination.

Ziplock :bow

Ok, so I got it hooked up to the PCI card, and I am getting signal of about 50, and using my signal meter, it sure seems like I am getting signals, but I wonder if I am hitting a dbs sat and not some of the Ku ones. What should I be using for my LOF and switch setting?

I am going to try Galaxy 3C as it should be true south.

I just cannot get any quality. I get up to 80 sometimes on level, but never get any quality. I have tried rotating the dish a bit to see if it is skew, but I have yet to see quality. To be quite honest, I dont know for sure the lnb is good. But I also dont have a clue which sat I am hitting either.

Berg, both LO should be 10750? What about switch?

A compass will also help. Where is the 80 on? The signal meter? The signal meter gets you near where you want to be after that you need to use the force.

timmy1376 said:
I just cannot get any quality. I get up to 80 sometimes on level, but never get any quality. I have tried rotating the dish a bit to see if it is skew, but I have yet to see quality. To be quite honest, I dont know for sure the lnb is good. But I also dont have a clue which sat I am hitting either.

Berg, both LO should be 10750? What about switch?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts