Finally got Voooooom!!

Spiderman_00

Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
I got Voom installed aboot 2 weeks ago and so far its decent....I went on the site and looked up all my info and it told me I would get locals....(not so cause I live 90 miles from Seattle so I dont think the antenna would work)

My only complaints so far are the installer (tracked gum onto my area rug and also didnt clean up any of his sawdust mess) and the constant freezing of the Motorola box as I channel surf (anyone know of any fixes for this?)

I also found it a bit strange that the installer didnt install a Voom dish....he just re-used my DirecTV dish and didnt leave me a antenna (although I doubt I would get anything on it)

Heres hoping things get better.... :D

Welcome, Spidey!

Spiderman_00 said:
and the constant freezing of the Motorola box as I channel surf (anyone know of any fixes for this?)
Don't surf as fast. Seriously. Posts by others have indicated a link between rapid changing of channels and stb freezing. I have two boxes and have not had the freezing issue at all. What is your signal strength?

My installer also used an old D* dish I had on the roof. But before he left, I ask him for the voom dish, which he handed to me. That was because, I figured if I ever did dump voom (no way), they would want their box and dish back. How would you convince voom that the installer didnt install a voom dish? And get them to believe you? And not charge you for a missing voom-logo dish?

Spiderman, what software are you running? If it is less than 5.68, leave you box off overnight to get 5.68. Get the dish, contact VoOM and let them know that you want it. As randy said you may have to pay fo this later on.

We don't get OTA channels here either. Too far away.

If you are like us (my wife and I), after you get into Voom and all the HD you won't care about OTA channels.

I will leave the box off tonite and most certainly contact Voom....I had no idea I could get charged for it...Do I need the antenna too or just the Voom dish?

that 3 LNB D* dish may have far less rain fade. I wish my installer had done that. Your installer probably did you a big favor not using the voom dish.

vurbano said:
that 3 LNB D* dish may have far less rain fade. I wish my installer had done that. Your installer probably did you a big favor not using the voom dish.

And here I thought he was lazy

Spiderman_00 said:
I will leave the box off tonite and most certainly contact Voom....I had no idea I could get charged for it...Do I need the antenna too or just the Voom dish?

I would get everything.... Look under FAQ forum, there is a thread that explains everything that you should have gotten.

1080iBeVuMin said:
We don't get OTA channels here either. Too far.

Forget OTA channels. If you are like us, after you get into Voom and all that HD you won't care about OTA channels.
No OTA means:

NO CBS NFL?
NO FOX NASCAR or NFL?
NO SUPERBOWL?
NO network primetime HD?

There is no way on this planet I would be a voom customer at this point if I couldnt get OTA. Your kidding right?

I had my installer use my existing 24" dish & my already installed antenna but he left me everything.

Regarding OTA, It's like a PVR, once you have them, you can't live without them. I work out in the Boonies where OTA is impossible (hills, forest, distance) but I live within range of Portland digital channels and the guys that live out by work and get their Portland locals from (yeck!) Dish just can't understand why I don't move closer to work. I couldn't live without local digital channels now, they just look too damned nice. The day I go back to watching an SD signal from Dish is the day they pry my HD stb remote from my cold, dead hands.

vurbano said:
There is no way on this planet I would be a voom customer at this point if I couldnt get OTA. Your kidding right?
Not kidding. OTA is too far away -- we would need cable and all we would get is SD for everything except 2 HD channels. (Cable here doesn't carry INHD or HDNet.) Not worth it. I hate commercials on network television anyway. :no

Spiderman_00 might be in the same boat - he's too far for OTA.

Yeah...I am too far for OTA HD but I do have Comcast basic cable package for my locals for now....Plus I splice it for the kids' bedrooms and our bedroom so in that aspect cable does the job..