Sales tax refund.

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
When do we get our refund for the illegally collected sales taxes due to Voom's failure to register in each state?

some states do not collect sales tax on sat service. VA doesnt, I believe D* won a lawsuit with NC over it as well. Why do we have to pay for Voom's laziness? The money should be refunded with interest.

It was just a question Vurbano, no need to rant ;). Honestly, you really seem to hate Voom lately. What keeps you here?

vurbano said:
When do we get our refund for the illegally collected sales taxes due to Voom's failure to register in each state?
What states are they registered in? How do we find out?

You can call the corp. office (i am not going to give the guy's name that I am dealing with because I don't want 10k people calling because I gave his name and number out) and ask for someone that can help you with Rainbow DBS problems and they will connect you to that department. I pay my bill by check and just deduct the amount of the sales tax and write a disclaimer on the check informing them by cashing this check you understand that I am withholding sales tax monies.

No sales tax but we pay through the nose with property, gas and personal income tax. Oregon is one of the highest taxed states. BTW Rickster, we are West of the Missippi (incorrect spelling on purpose).

They have been collecting sales tax from me since I got the service. When I told them they are not supposed to be collecting sales tax for satellite service, the person I spoke with told me they had every legal right to charge me sales tax.

I spoke with the California Franchise Tax Board and they stated that for SERVICE there is no sales tax, as stipulated in their regulation 1501. I also found that they have no record of Voom/Rainbow DBS registering in the state of California with a reseller's permit, which is required to sell taxable items in the state of California.

Another call to Voom's corporate office yielded the truth - they have not yet applied for the permit in California, but "were planning on having it done in the next month." It took me a couple of hours to get my reseller's permit, but I am in California, so I didn't have to do it via mail. I informed Voom that they are not allowed to tax me for the service, so if they don't refund the money to me, I will report them to the state tax board for collecting taxes illegally and pocketing the money for themselves. I am certain the state of California can exert more pressure on Rainbow DBS than I can.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts