Voom drops improper state sales tax!

Well,......just reviewed my paper statement for period 10/13 - 11/12 and my tax more than doubled? What the heck is going on? My tax is now 12.2% of my total bill. Can anyone make any sense out of this for me?

Edit: Just called them to complain. Initially they tried to tell me that for my area (Florida) this is correct. I insisted that 12.2% in Florida can't be correct. This is one of the lowest taxed states. Cripes, we don't even have an income tax. Supposedly, they will bump it up the line and have someone figure it out.

I'm curious - anyone wish to post the state they live and the percentage sales tax they are being charged?

Sean Mota said:
Someone else reported that the tax for florida state was 13%, was that not correct?

Hmmm. Sure doesn't sound right to me. I'll try to find out how this works. :confused:

Guess I found the answer. At least for Florida. I'm rather shocked. Seems awful high for a tax with no government service provided. Anyhow, from the FL gov. site:

What is the Tax Rate?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In general, the tax includes a state rate of 6.8 percent plus a gross receipts tax rate of 2.37 percent, for a combined state communications services tax rate of 9.17 percent. Each local taxing jurisdiction may levy its own tax rate on communications services.

Direct-to-home satellite services are taxed at a total rate of 13.17 percent. Local tax does not apply to these satellite services.

While the state and gross receipts tax rates stay fairly constant, local rates can change frequently. A list of all the current and past local jurisdictional rates is available for download at Local Tax Rates. For a list of current rates only, download the Jurisdiction Rate Table. Both the state and local communications services taxes must be separately stated on a customer's bill or invoice.

New VOOM billing here in California still shows sales tax of $0.74, down from $5 last month. That's better but I thought it would be gone entirely and we would get a refund. Will wait and check next months billing.

Verified Sarasota County, FL Satellite tax is 13.17 %

http://geotax.state.fl.us/dorPubIdx.jsp
produces the following for my address:

County: SARASOTA FIPS Code: 115 State: FL FIPS Code: 12

Communications Services Tax

Total Local Communications Services Tax: 5.420 %

State Gross Receipts Tax: 2.37 %
State Tax: 6.80 %
Total State Tax: 9.17 %

State Rate for Satellite Services: 13.17 %
No local rate applies

Tvlman said:
New VOOM billing here in California still shows sales tax of $0.74, down from $5 last month. That's better but I thought it would be gone entirely and we would get a refund. Will wait and check next months billing.

Same here. If they do raise it that $10, that will really speed up my cancellation.

The rate of repeats on "their" sub-B channels is really sad.

Who wants to watch repeats of crap, no matter how good the pic. is? :no :mad:

While it is true that the sales tax has been dropped for some locations, it is also true that Voom is not in any hurry to issue refunds. I used to pay a little over $5 per month in tax, and my bill is now a straight $79.90 for VaVaVoom. Voom includes the following text on this bill:

To ensure that the proper tax credits and adjustments are reflected onyour bill, we have delayed our adjustment process pending further review. We appreciate your patience as we work continually on updating and improving our billing system inorder to better serve our customers.

Vurbano threw the red flag and now this is under review?? I wish it was the NFL because the review would be done in 2 minutes or less, but Voom is taking 2 months. And......I know this is picky, but with such a short text message, why do we get "onyour" and "inorder"? Placing a message on a statement is not that hard, and the message should never have spelling errors.

Keep an eye on your current bill. I get all the services available, my bill was always 110.00. This month I noticed it was 117.00. I called and asked and they said the computer has improperly been billing at the wrong rate and this 7.00 charge was an adjustment for all the months. I said no way. If you made a mistake and billed people the wrong tax rate, you were only adjusting that current month. Why should I allow you to bill me for X amount of months (its not that it was 7.00 , it's the principle that was wrong). They told me they cant remove the charge or do anyhting. I said, I want to cancel my account right now. I was put on hold, then offered a 33.00 credit (not sure what that is for). PS.. I recently got the 24" dish, nothing fancy, just a bigger dish, hasnt rained too much lately to see if it resolves the problem with the signal vanishing during summer storms. And the beat goes on....

Still did not get a check re-paying me for the illegal confiscation of said interest tax, with interest.

Signed,
Voom subscriber till Monday, when they pick up the Equipment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)