Finally installed Directv at my house!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Claude Greiner

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Detroit - The Paris of the Midwest
I finally got around to finishing my Directv installation at my house, here are some un-biased pros and cons to each system.

Pro's

#1 The SWM technology is great, and couldn't have provided a more easier installation. I ended up putting my Directv Dish right next to my Bell ExpressVu Dish and since I only have 1 receiver with ExpressVu, I was able to use the other cable off of the Dual LNB to go to my Directv Dish. If it wasn't for the 1 cable installation, it would have been weeks till I got around to fishing another wire to my attic to run the cable out from right under my gutters.

#2 Connecting my receivers to the internet was easy. It was 1 cable from the SWM splitter to the Cinema connection kit. Unlike with Dish Network, the sling link powerline adaptors do not work throughout my entire house, and I have eithernet ran to all my receivers.

#3 The whole room DVR was a snap to setup, and works better than I expected

#4 The remote was easy to program to my TV with my HR-24 receiver.

#5 The HD picture quality is great

#6 The HR-24 HD/DVR is very quiet. I can hear my Dish receivers half way accross the room, you can't even hear the HR-24

#7 $5 per additional HD/DVR on the account is a bargain compaired to $17.00 on DISH

Cons

#1 I don't like the layout of the DVR keys on the remote, compaired to DISH Network. The 30 second skip on DISH Network is better.

#2 I do not like the touch interface on the front of the HR-24, I can't see the buttons if I want to do anything maually. I know Dish has this on the 922 also, and its just as difficult for me to operate.

#3 I need a little getting used to on the program guide, I prefer DISH Networks simplier guide layout better.

#4 No picture and picture. I never use this feature alot, but its nice to know its there.

But overall so far so good. Im going to keep both Dish and Directv, its nice to finally have MLB Network, too bad it took me the entire baseball season to install it.

Once you get past the installation (Directv is easier to install), both services are about the same when you weigh in the pros and cons.

The 30 second skip on DISH Network is better.
Perform a search, enter "30skip" and select search all. The search won't turn up anything, but your skip forward will now operate the same as it did on Dish.

You can revert back by using "30slip" as the keyword.

You can also use DirecTV "Double Down" feature to switch quickly between tuners. While your watching a program just hit the direction down button to activate the feature, then you can just keep hitting down to swap instantly between the tuners. It's not quite as good as having PiP, but at least you can get the "swap" functionality back that I used quite a bit on my 722 to switch quickly between games.

Awesome! It worked, THANKS!

Claude,

You are like me. I had DirecTV installed yesterday, and I found the 30Skip change when I did a search of those forums. Like you I prefer the Dish Guide.

I'll get use to it though. I also miss the 24 hour Skip forward and Back on Dish. I switched to get access to the Buffalo Sabres games, and A LOT more Center Ice feeds in HD.

I'm keeping Dish for now, as I have a LOAD of Stored content on my connected Dish Network External Hard. I also prefer the Dish External Hard Drive solution.

I hope DirecTV expands their HD channel count over the next few months, as well.

John

Claude,

You are like me. I had DirecTV installed yesterday, and I found the 30Skip change when I did a search of those forums. Like you I prefer the Dish Guide.

I'll get use to it though. I also miss the 24 hour Skip forward and Back on Dish. I switched to get access to the Buffalo Sabres games, and A LOT more Center Ice feeds in HD.

I'm keeping Dish for now, as I have a LOAD of Stored content on my connected Dish Network External Hard. I also prefer the Dish External Hard Drive solution.

I hope DirecTV expands their HD channel count over the next few months, as well.

John
Although you cannot go back past the current time, you can skip 12 hour intervals by pressing the green button while in the guide and go back in 12 hour intervals by pressing the red button on the remote.

My install is scheduled for today and I hope all goes well. I haven't had a box since the HR 20 so I'm hoping the newer ones are a little better. My HR 20 was decent so I didn't have a lot of the issues others had. I would've installed Dish at my new house if they would've let me. I guess they only want so much of a persons business. Of course I'll love Directv as well because I did when I had it a few years ago. Both services are far superior to any cable system in my area.

Claude,

John

you can put those movies from the ehd onto dvd with a little effort
they are stored in a linux file system in .tsp format

My install is scheduled for today and I hope all goes well. I haven't had a box since the HR 20 so I'm hoping the newer ones are a little better. My HR 20 was decent so I didn't have a lot of the issues others had. I would've installed Dish at my new house if they would've let me. I guess they only want so much of a persons business. Of course I'll love Directv as well because I did when I had it a few years ago. Both services are far superior to any cable system in my area.

Best of Luck today with your install. :up

The better question is did you go through Direct or do you happen to know a local dealer? LOL

The better question is did you go through Direct or do you happen to know a local dealer? LOL

I Contacted a Local Dealer. The Tech from the local company was very nice and competent, (the same could not be said for the CALL CENTER REPS THOUGH, Read about it below). After all the wiring was run, and Hardware was installed things went off the rails on the call into the DirecTV Call Center to get activated.

On the first call the Call Center Rep didn't activate all my receivers, so the Tech Called back and got everything on (Tech was on Hold for quite sometime on both calls). The Tech then had to go back to his office to get the DECA module to connect to my Router (They were out of DECA's and were waiting for a shipment). So the tech goes back up to the Dish to tidy everything up before he leaves to get the DECA, the signal goes out. Turned out the Center Cooper Conductor was damaged, so when he coiled the Cable the center conductor shorted out, so he replaced that part of the cable and left. When he came back he finished the installation and the MRV wouldn't work, so back on the phone to the Call Center. He got bounced from Tech support (after being on hold for another 20 minutes, turned out there was nothing wrong with the installation) to the regular Rep at the Call Center because somebody forgot to activate the MRV feature on my account. 45 minutes on hold and multiple resets later, no MRV.

I told the Tech he would have to come back tomorrow to finish as my Wife had come home for dinner and she had a meeting to go too.

The Tech called my back at 9pm (last night) as it turned out the Call Center, MELVIN, activated MRV on the TECH's personal account and not on my account. The Tech told me he got it sorted out with DirecTV and to reset my receivers and everything was correct and worked.

I Guess DirecTV has trouble finding Competent Call Center Reps just like Dish Network.

John

My favorite surprise benefit with the Direct DVR as opposed to Dish's is the ability to go back in time from live tv after having watched a DVR'd event.

With Dish the buffer would start anew when going back to live tv. It makes forgetful moments not so tragic when you can go back 90 minutes as long as you haven't changed the channel.

Also if you've deleted a recording that is still currently playing and then decide to re-record it, it will bring back the full recording, not just start fresh from the later time. Definitely not a dramatic feature but a very cool plus.

Welcome to the D* family guys
Claude you'll LOVE the MLB channel....it rocks :)
(it kicks a** during the season) :)

he guys - i'm in the same boat -have dish but am switching for more hd center ice hockey = esp the rangers on msg hd. i'm going to keep dish for now too because as pp stated i too have a lot recorded on my 722 and my ehd. i need to look at the available packages of both. right now with dish i have the second top one (i forget the name) and the sports pack = and 3 premiums (hbo, showtime, cinemax). i'm scheduled for directv premiere package. i need to see the cheapest dish programming i could get.

one tv has the 211 with ehd - do you know if i terminate service to this receiver (but still keep dish on my other tv) would i be able to still view the recorded shows on the 211/ehd?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)