Finally programmed "MeTV" into my system today.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

radio

"On the Air" in MI
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2007
West Central Michigan
We have it strong on OTA, but I like the picture quality on FTA.

An observation I "heard" during MASH tonite seemed to sound like the network had used some audio "shortening" software. Details in the conversation like "s" at the end of words seemed to be missing at times, and the speed of the conversation seemed faster than usual. That, or...I'm listening slower than usual....

In radio, (we don't do it, but station's I've worked-for do) there are places that speed up the master copies of their music up to three percent to add more "pep" and get more music in per hour Furthermore, commercials can be electronically processed to remove pauses and similar sounds, so that a spot can get "X" percentage more into the alloted time of 30 or 60 seconds!

I'd think in video this is not easy to do, and that the viewer would notice a video issue if the equivalent was done in video playback, but if I was only LISTENING to MASH tonite, I'd think they were trying to squeeze more available minutes into a half hour for sponsorships. It sounded FAST and was hard to follow, even though I know every word of every episode. There was noticeable "gargling" in some parts of the audio which is a symptom of this when used in commercials in radio, if proper care is not taken in the process.

Added with edit: Same notation "Hogan's Heroes".....same symptoms.

Okay, I'm probably off my rocker, but I usually notice audio things very quickly.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I don't doubt you nailed it radio!

Much like starting the next TV show in queue, while the previous show's credits are crushed into a banner below it. It's
industry-wide now, and I like seeing the credits for the release dates, and to put old names to young faces! Nearly
impossible without decent "zoom" and "pause" features on the receiver!

Squeezing every second out of ad time = dollars, and that's what keeps them up & at 'em, eh?

Oddly enough though, a bunch of their ad time is used to plug the other shows on the schedule.
Heh-heh, shows I enjoy, and I'd much rather see their previews anyways, compared to many
of the "mind numbing" ads that are put in otherwise.

Cheers!

Just ain't like when those programs originally aired is it today. BTW the DVB feed of Me looks better than 26.3 here.

I noticed while watching a few episodes of the "Dick Van Dyke" show last week on MeTV, that fast movement of the screen had slight pixelation occurring during those programs. I think "Hogan's Heroes" has better picture quality to my eye on KWHS on Lesea 5 on G16 than on MeTV. Perhaps Weigel utilizes more compression?

radio
what station OTA do you get it on?

Boy, that tells you how LITTLEI watch OTA. I thought we had "Me"....but we have "this" and Antenna" I thought it was "Me"....now I know I'm getting old. So sorry! Just turned-on the OTA this morning before work. I was mistaking my retro programming avails.

If you're in the Grand Rapids market checking wiki you have more than that
Fox 17 has This and Antenna
ABC 41 has The Cool TV which plays music videos
WLLA 64 has RTV and My Family TV

If you're in the Grand Rapids market checking wiki you have more than that
Fox 17 has This and Antenna
ABC 41 has The Cool TV which plays music videos
WLLA 64 has RTV and My Family TV

I hadn't tried "64" but will re-scan the digital TV..... the rest are not bad reception at all!

Sidebar: All the talk of "new" antennas......in many cases they're "junk."

I use an old radio shack RV/Boat plastic-bodied antenna with two VHF elements, (or, maybe one, "folded") and two UHF, amplified, and stationary....and get the stations above, plus Flint channel 12 and its sub-channels, Lansing, Jackson (Onondaga Channel 10) Kalamazoo...and Flint is quite a haul from here, yet quite strong! (Flint by the way is on the BACK of the pictured antenna, not the front from where I snapped the night picture tonite.)

Used to sell 'em (the antennas were made by Antennacraft and long since gone now)....and when put on a nice height, they outperform most "full size" ones. Mine is attached to a rear trailer hitch on the trailer and only about 12 feet above ground!

If anyone finds one on ebay, they're truly a FIND. Thanks for the Channel research!

Attachments

• DSC07170.JPG
    DSC07170.JPG
    8.1 KB · Views: 133
I hadn't tried "64" but will re-scan the digital TV..... the rest are not bad reception at all!

sidenote...looking at the info that channel (64) is actually RF45 but maps back to 64. SO if there is an "add station" option just scan channel 45 and it should pop in

Thought the picture may bring memories to a few......and, I sold many (private label) to friends who STILL use them. I'd love to have someone duplicate these and start marketing them again. They blow away today's (hype, hype,) "digital ready" antennas. In the analog days, 60 miles of good VHF high and UHF was possible with these!

Ah, memories......and I'm not the only "former Shack" worker on the board!

You got me wondering now! I constantly get an "RF-11" with no video when I scan, usually I just dismiss it. Now I have to look up what that is! Its actually reading 11-9 and 11-10. Very odd, (or just new to me how it all works.) Then it shows, "no audio and video" yet, it scans.

Makes sense! Used to get those when the antenna sat on a short tripod in my parking lot, lost 'em when I moved it up in the air but nearer the station's actual building structure. You have been VERY helpful tonite...thanks so much! (I pull channel 23 PBS and of course have FTA so WGVU is not a huge loss) I'm glad to know what those channels may be!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts