Finally Someone Speaks Up

Get ready to get blasted. I made the point that Marino was overrated in this forum and I was taken outside for a beating.

Favre and Marino have similar stats with Marino never winning a Super Bowl.

I agree. I also thought he was a good not the best quarterback like the media have said. He is no where near Joe Montana or Tom Brady. I don't remember John Ellway getting this much attention when he retired.

everyone will never ageree on who is the best quarterback . farve was a great quarterback no question . elway was a great quarterback montana was a great quarterback .etc it shouldnt be the best it should be among the greats

everyone will never ageree on who is the best quarterback . farve was a great quarterback no question . elway was a great quarterback montana was a great quarterback .etc it shouldnt be the best it should be among the greats

I agree with this (though I hate horseface). Favre was a great quarterback, he'll be an easy first-ballot hall of famer and a couple of generations of football fans will never forget him.

Anything more and people are just trying to rock the boat to get pageviews.

It's ironic that the article is on ESPN.com since ESPN was the worst offender when it came to sucking up to Favre any time I watched a Packer game on that network. On a Monday night game last year they went so overboard I can understand how people who aren't Packer fans could be sick of hearing how great he is. I'm also amazed at the media circus around his retirement. Lead by none other than ESPN. I expected it here, just not the national frenzy.

The big difference in the second half of his career is Holmgren leaving for Seattle. Also, can anybody name the receivers he was playing with from say '98 to this year? Not too many just pop out at you.

It's ironic that the article is on ESPN.com since ESPN was the worst offender when it came to sucking up to Favre any time I watched a Packer game on that network. On a Monday night game last year they went so overboard I can understand how people who aren't Packer fans could be sick of hearing how great he is. I'm also amazed at the media circus around his retirement. Lead by none other than ESPN. I expected it here, just not the national frenzy.

The big difference in the second half of his career is Holmgren leaving for Seattle. Also, can anybody name the receivers he was playing with from say '98 to this year? Not too many just pop out at you.

John Madden is also a huge Favre fan and over does it every time he does one of his games.
Madden has Nothing to do with ESPN, so it's not just ESPN.

Jimbo

3 MVPs ........in a row.....can't argue with that....and i am not a Farve fan.

I don't know who "the best" is, but Flying J's comment holds a lot of water, especially when you throw in his records. Personally, if I were starting a team today, Joe Montana would be where I start, but I wouldn't feel cheated if I started with Brett.

The "Best" at a position is always a hard argument to make.

I'm a bit biased in my opinion about Favre being a lifelong Packer fan but my opinion is a bit tempered.

I consider Bart Starr one of the "Best" at the position. Yes, I am that old.

I consider Steve Young the best all around QB ever, but of course he did have a good team around him. I think he gets lost in the mix because of his USFL time and having to backup Montana, and in his prime the Cowboys were also very good. That meant the NFL title was always decided by the NFC Championship game.

Favre is good, but IMO not as good as Young, Montana and Elway.

I consider Bart Starr one of the "Best" at the position. Yes, I am that old.
I, too, consider Bart Starr to be one of the greats. Unfortunately, I don't feel he gets the recognition he deserves.

Bart played against Roger Staubach, who is generally ranked higher on current surveys, yet Bart and the Pack beat the Cowboys (and pretty much everybody else) throughout the 60s.

And a big factor for me is that Bart called his own plays. Coach Landry sent the plays in to Staubach.

Favre is also one of the best quarterbacks. He has the stats and the Super Bowl ring, but he also had the joy of the game that put him in a class by himself--particularly for Packer Backers watching. :D

Here something for you....Warren Sapp retired on more or less the same day/week...and Sapp will do something that Favre won't...get into BOTH the College Fall of Fame AND the NFL Hall of Fame...and got NO WHERE near all the hype.:confused:

Not to mention, that Sapp is a much better interview.:D

Get ready to get blasted. I made the point that Marino was overrated in this forum and I was taken outside for a beating.

Favre and Marino have similar stats with Marino never winning a Super Bowl.

Awww come on, your just upset he lit up your Pats like a Christmas tree every time he played you guys.....tell the truth.:rolleyes:;)

There is NO WAY you can put up THOSE kind of numbers, for EITHER Favre OR Marino and NOT be very good. IF your pretty boy in New England put up those kind of career numbers, would YOU be saying the same thing? Some how, I doubt that.

The pretty boy in New England also has 3 Super Bowls and been to the AFC championship in like 5 of the last 7 years.

I will compare Marino and Favre to another New Englad QB to make you happy though, Drew Bledsoe!

If Championships are the most important factor in deciding greatness, it is tough to argue with Otto Graham as the best QB EVER.....

Graham played for 10 seasons and took the Browns to the Championship game all 10 seasons, while winning 7 of them!

During his career, the Brown's compiled a 105-17-4 record.

He had an 86.6 career pass rating, was a 10x All Pro Selection and was named league MVP 5 years in his 10 year career!

Favre, Marino, Montana, Brady, Starr? They got nothing on Otto Graham.

It's funny how everybody precludes anything accomplished pre- Super Bowl. It's like the league didn't exist then. Just the same, it's always been difficult to compare player from different eras. Much easier to compare players from the same era. That said, IF championships are the deciding factor... then HD MM has a great argument there.

The pretty boy in New England also has 3 Super Bowls and been to the AFC championship in like 5 of the last 7 years.

I will compare Marino and Favre to another New Englad QB to make you happy though, Drew Bledsoe!

If Championships are the most important factor in deciding greatness, it is tough to argue with Otto Graham as the best QB EVER.....

Graham played for 10 seasons and took the Browns to the Championship game all 10 seasons, while winning 7 of them!

During his career, the Brown's compiled a 105-17-4 record.

He had an 86.6 career pass rating, was a 10x All Pro Selection and was named league MVP 5 years in his 10 year career!

Favre, Marino, Montana, Brady, Starr? They got nothing on Otto Graham.

I guess if Boston was using this way(championships) of grading QBs, HD MM has just put Pretty Boy AND Bledsoe to shame. Look, ANYONE who thinks Favre or Marino was either "overrated" or "just an ok QB" is strictly going on whether they liked the QB or not and has NOTHING to do with stats, championships or numbers. Being a Raider fan, I HATED...DESPISED...John Elway....BUT, he was one of the greatest QB of our era AND one of the top 10 QBs of all time, I will never deny the devil his due.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)