Status
Please reply by conversation.

ScoBuck

'Just Chillin'
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 11, 2006
Long Island, NY
It must be - I see on the program guide that on Monday channel 578 will be showing installation info on the new SLIMLINE ODU.

As of last week they're still putting AT9's up around here. Saw my first real live AT9 just this weekend as neighbor had one installed late last week. (PS - I can't see the whole base from the street but I also can't see any additional bracing.) There are probably more in the neighborhood but folks do try to hide them from view of the street. (Yes, HOA can't stop you from putting one up but they can ask, barring loss of signal, that it be put in the least obtrusive location....meaning out of sight if at all possible.) I don't know what the SlimLine will look like compared to the AT9 (I'm talking relative size...I've seen the pictures) but I was, despite all the pictures and discussion, surprised at the size of the AT9. It's big, really big. I'm still negotiating with my wife on the location of an AT9/SlimLine as our 3 LNB is being overtaken by a tree and I can't keep chopping it up just for the dish. The HOA notwithstanding my wife has very strict rules about being able to see the dish from the front of the house. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I watched the video this AM...noted that a monopole brace is required whichever
dish you use(AT-9 or slimline)..dish is smaller(not much) and lighter. Also the
LNB assembly is one-piece(no side car LNB's).

AT-9 weights 37 lbs- dish + mast

Slimline weighs about 33 lbs- dish + mast.

Enclosed are 2 sample Slimline dishes I received last week. Compare the sizes between the AT-9 and Slimline and you'll come to the same conlcusion I did- the slimline is not as small (compared to the AT-9) as we were all initially led to believe.

Attachments

• Sm_Cmp_AT-9.jpg
    Sm_Cmp_AT-9.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 598
  • Sm_Cmp_Slimline.jpg
    Sm_Cmp_Slimline.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 646
  • Sm_Slimline.jpg
    Sm_Slimline.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 615
Not sure how anyone came to any factual conclusion that the SlimLine dish would be anything more or less than exactly what it is; not as tall, with the same or possibly a tad more reflective surface, all 5 LNB in one array with possible expansion slots, and lighter. It seems very harsh to claim or imply any type of conspiracy or being mis-lead. It is as expected based on the many other threads discussing it, before its release.

Last edited:
Installation

I have an installer coming out Saturday to upgrade my dish the 5lnb. Is this slimline what I should expect?

Likely not, the original 5 LNB will be deployed until they dwindle out of stock area by area. Best to expect the original and be pleasantly surprised otherwise.

Not sure how anyone came to any factual conclusion that the SlimLine dish would be anything more or less than exactly what it is; not as tall, with the same or possibly a tad more reflective surface, all 5 LNB in one array with possible expansion slots, and lighter. It seems very harsh to claim or imply any type of conspiracy or being mis-lead. It is as expected based on the many other threads discussing it, before its release.

I'm not claiming any conspiracy or deliberate deception. I'm simply stating that this was one of the benefits of the slimline dish vs. the AT-9 that was touted to me and others involved in the business. If you read the DirecTV Investor Report from 22 February, 2006- the three benefits of the slimline dish are listed right there:

- weight reduction

- size reduction

- cost reduction

These benefits were emphasized to investors both prospective and current. On the "Home Services" side of the business, those benefits were talked about with greater emphasis placed on the factors that installers & technicians would be most interested in: reduction in weight and size being the primary one, and interchangeability of parts being the second.

These positives- indirectly and directly shaped opinion of customers as well. I have personally fielded calls from customers asking when the slimline dish would be out because the AT-9 wasn't feasible for their house etc. and they wanted/needed a smaller dish.

And by the way, there are no expansion slots in the LNB. The crevice on the right side of the LNB housing is cosmetic.

Read this carefully [not directed at you charper1]: There are no expansion ports available for additional slots and the LNB is not expandable in any fashion.

There was talk, initially, of putting a test port where the empty space is. I'm assuming the built-in 6x4 switch couldn't be designed to incorporate that.

i am sorry but that is one UGLY ASS dish sheeeesh

He-he I totally agree. Cosmetic expansion of the lnb??? What the heck is that c'mon you couldnt redesign a dish to make more sense? Instead in order to save money they simply used all the same components, cut the corners of the dish and made a hidious plastic lnb cover that DOES NOT LOOK GOOD AT ALL!!! But the most ridiculous part of the dish is its name "Slimline". Next time please dont give your dish a name!

Ugh...the LNB is even uglier than the original AT9! (It's still not quite as ugly as a SuperDish.) I'm glad I didn't wait for the Slimline.

They probably gave the dish a name so that they could distinguish the dish from the other ones and know what to call it when wanting to do so.

The Slimline looks better than the current AT-9 that they use. SuperDish is still the worst to date though when it comes to looks.

One could probably adapt another lnbf to the dish if they wanted to and tune in another satellite but Directv does not plan on doing so.

He-he I totally agree. Cosmetic expansion of the lnb??? What the heck is that c'mon you couldnt redesign a dish to make more sense? Instead in order to save money they simply used all the same components, cut the corners of the dish and made a hidious plastic lnb cover that DOES NOT LOOK GOOD AT ALL!!! But the most ridiculous part of the dish is its name "Slimline". Next time please dont give your dish a name!

If you're a tech (and according to all your posts you appear to be), then the "redesign" clearly isn't meant for you, or for me even. The redesign is meant to lower shipment costs. The standardized parts (common back assy and LNB) lower supply chain costs etc.

But the most ridiculous part of the dish is its name "Slimline". Next time please dont give your dish a name!

Interesting statement. You must have the same problem every time you see a 3rd-Gen International Dish or the Old-style Phase I Multi-Sat (DirecTV PLUS). ;)

Read this carefully [not directed at you charper1]: There are no expansion ports available for additional slots and the LNB is not expandable in any fashion.

OH no, I didn't meant you could add anything to the current array; but that it looks as if the reflective surface and array have engineering/planning in advance built-in; meaning that a simple removal of the current array "head" and change to another could add another slot without needing a completely new dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts