FiOS Digital Transition

wayne.wood

Original poster
Dec 18, 2006
FiOS is starting their digital transition this week in NY. Does anyone know if a retail digital converter will work on their network, or if you have to lease a digital adapter from VZ? I have already purchased a digital adapter from Best Buy and I want to know if it works on their network. I called the VZ # and the reps are confused. Some of them said they would work, some said they wouldn't, and one rep told me I would just have to try it.

VZ's digital transition website:
Verizon - Analog to Digital

Can I redeem the government voucher being distributed for the Verizon equipment I need to avoid losing picture once my area is converted?
No. Verizon set top boxes and digital adapters are not eligible for the DTV Converter Box Coupon Program. FiOS TV customers will need a Verizon-supplied set top box or digital adapter to continue to receive the service. Only TVs with a built-in digital QAM tuner will not need a set top box or digital adapter to receive Local programming. The equipment listed above can only be leased from Verizon and only work on the FiOS TV network.
Customers will be given a 60-day notice prior to conversion, so that they will have ample time to prepare for the transition. Once the digital conversion is complete in each community, any TV sets without a Verizon set top box, digital adapter, or CableCARD will not be able to receive and view FiOS TV programming. Only TVs with a built-in digital QAM tuner will not need a set top box or digital adapter to receive Local programming.

FiOS TV customers will need a Verizon-supplied set top box or digital adapter to continue to receive the service. The equipment listed above can only be leased from Verizon and only work on the FiOS TV network.

Sounds like you answered your own question.

The adapter that you bought is for over the air digital conversion and not cable digital tv.

Correct - a standard digital converter (the kind used for OTA) will NOT work for this. You'll need one of the digital adapters that Verizon is offering. Which is really the motorola DCT700 set top box. The good news is that with this box you'll get all your SD channels (not just your locals). The bad news is that the box is not IP enabled, meaning that you won't get guide data, VOD, or widgets.

According to a thread at DSLReports.com Verizon is offering up to three DCT700 boxes to each subscriber for free as the analog shutdown approaches in each area. Give them a call and see what they can do for you.

According to a thread at DSLReports.com Verizon is offering up to three DCT700 boxes to each subscriber for free as the analog shutdown approaches in each area. Give them a call and see what they can do for you.

One note with this - you can't just dial their normal number. As the transition to your VHO (video head office - aka your region) approaches, you should get a letter in the mail, with information on the transition. There's a phone number on the letter that you would call in connection with this program. If you go through their normal ordering phone number you'll get charged for each box. If you get it via the phone number they give you on the letter, the digital adapter is free for as long as you remain at your current residence.

There's also a website that they established, allowing you to order up to 2 boxes. I ordered one box this way last week - here's the URL: Verizon - Analog to Digital

For what it's worth, I got my digital adapter today (the DCT700). I activated it without any problem at all (took about 15 - 20 minutes for the activation to complete over the website). Even though I only have it hooked up with coax (it also supports RCA), the PQ is pretty darn nice. Although not having guide data is a bit of a pain in the butt (especially with all those channels). Speaking of which, as others have indicated, this box will give you all of your SD channels, and not just your locals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)