FiOS in Garland, Texas

andrews777

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 5, 2004
Does anyone know of a source to tell the specific FiOS roll out plans in Garland, Texas? I saw what looked to be a roll of fibre and a new in-ground box or two being put in a few weeks ago on the main street into our neighborhood, but I have heard nothing since then. I don't qualify yet, but I am wondering if I am close, or way far off. I am only 3 houses from the new in-ground install of something. :)

Brad

Does anyone know of a source to tell the specific FiOS roll out plans in Garland, Texas? I saw what looked to be a roll of fibre and a new in-ground box or two being put in a few weeks ago on the main street into our neighborhood, but I have heard nothing since then. I don't qualify yet, but I am wondering if I am close, or way far off. I am only 3 houses from the new in-ground install of something. :)

Brad
It usually takes about a month or two after the boxes go in for them to offer service. Just keep checking every week or so.

It could take longer than that. They installed fiber in my neighborhood in late spring and are still not offering FIOS TV service yet.

It usually takes about a month or two after the boxes go in for them to offer service. Just keep checking every week or so.

Are they good at emailing those on their list? I did sign up for notice. Do I still need to check frequently?

Also, has anyone switched from their DSL to FiOS? Do they charge an "early termination fee" for such a shift?

Brad

Are they good at emailing those on their list? I did sign up for notice. Do I still need to check frequently?

Also, has anyone switched from their DSL to FiOS? Do they charge an "early termination fee" for such a shift?

Brad

I was also 'on their list' but never heard from them. Someone else in the neighborhood got installed so I decided to call and it was available. Just keep checking with them and there is NO list.

I was also 'on their list' but never heard from them. Someone else in the neighborhood got installed so I decided to call and it was available. Just keep checking with them and there is NO list.

Did the website say it was available when you called? Or is that innaccurate? When I check, it says not, but I will call if it might be available anyway.

Brad

I just bought a new house by Firewheel and Verizon asked me if I wanted FiOS TV with my internet order.

When Verizon installed the under ground Fios at our vally back to four months ago, I am at Plano, last month, they knocked on the neibouring houses and try get peoples
sign up for their service, they never tell you the cost that is what I will not sign up, beside, their phone service is suck and higher price then AT&T.

Their Internet access is only about $10-15 over my DSL price, which is much lower than the cable option. That is for their 15MB service too.

Unfortunately, I got a reply from one of their people and found out my area of Garland will not be getting installed until mid next year. :(

Brad

Their Internet access is only about $10-15 over my DSL price, which is much lower than the cable option. That is for their 15MB service too.

Unfortunately, I got a reply from one of their people and found out my area of Garland will not be getting installed until mid next year. :(

Brad

ALthough you state that the cost is 10-15 $$ more than DSL, please remember that your DSL was also a lot slower than 15Mb. DSL speeeds top out at about 6Mb and that is if you are roht next door to the DSLAM.

When Verizon installed the under ground Fios at our vally back to four months ago, I am at Plano, last month, they knocked on the neibouring houses and try get peoples
sign up for their service, they never tell you the cost that is what I will not sign up, beside, their phone service is suck and higher price then AT&T.

I suspect that the reason that they did not offer you a price on the spot is that there a number of options that you can select from. In their Internet alone there are 3 different offerings. On the cable side there are over a dozen, and on the phone side, well, I don't know because I opted to stay with Comcast for phone service. This is what is really cool about this whole deal. More choices, more competition, more rock solid infrastructure, and ultimatly better service from all.

I can tell you that the week Fios became available in my area Comcast dropped their cable and Internet rates about 20%. As far as I was concerned 'to late'. I can assure you that apples to apples, Fios cable and Internet is much cheaper. Phone is a little more, but you don't have to switch. Even if you do, you will still save on your total bill. Now the better news. If you go with an IP based phone service you will actually save there. I chose not to go that route because my home alarm system is tied to the phone line and would not work with IP. I am looking into Cellular fo the alarm and when I find it at a reasonable price the copper land line is out of here too, along with the analog recorder. Imagine, digital service with voice mail (multipe mailboxes), voicemail forwarding to email, call forwarding, call screening, caller id, etc for less that I pay for Comcast phone service. And best off, I don't have to deal with them anymore. Wow!

ALthough you state that the cost is 10-15 $$ more than DSL, please remember that your DSL was also a lot slower than 15Mb. DSL speeeds top out at about 6Mb and that is if you are roht next door to the DSLAM.

My DSL is just below 1.5MB, so that would be a speed boost even if I only got 6MB. (Though I doubt they could give 6MB consistently in a package called 15MB. They do have a cheaper package at 5MB. While I can understand they aren't always trustworthy, their current offer of 1.5MB is fairly consistent, so I have no reason to think a higher speed would be that far off.

Brad

My DSL is just below 1.5MB, so that would be a speed boost even if I only got 6MB. (Though I doubt they could give 6MB consistently in a package called 15MB. They do have a cheaper package at 5MB. While I can understand they aren't always trustworthy, their current offer of 1.5MB is fairly consistent, so I have no reason to think a higher speed would be that far off.

Brad

I have run speedtests from a number of test sites and I do get the full 15 meg with somewhere between 7-8 upstream. There is a diffference. When they first installed they did not turn on the 15 meg and I ewas runing at 5. When they turned it up it was twice as fast.

I live near HWY 66, east of 1st street. We are having fibre laid as we speak. About a month ago, I got a letter saying they'd be installing Verizon phone hardware. So I thought, no internet. So I did the ask when service starts thingie. Never got a reply...........................until Monday, saying I would have internet/phone/tv available at the end of January. This morning they were installing line in front of my house. Interesting to watch them basically inject line into the ground.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)