FIOS MOTOROLA HD DVR

Well they gave me the HD reciever free for a year, so Hopefully someone wll release a decent HD-STB within that time.
Amazing how all of us love FiOS TV and Internet...usually wind-up dealing with somre pretty good installation techs...manage to survive the billing/ordering process...and scratch our heads wondering why Verizon is still using the crappy Motorola boxes after all the complaints?

Amazing how all of us love FiOS TV and Internet...usually wind-up dealing with somre pretty good installation techs...manage to survive the billing/ordering process...and scratch our heads wondering why Verizon is still using the crappy Motorola boxes after all the complaints?

The things that we like are Verizon's strengths as a telco. Just a guess, but I think those who made the decision on the boxes are probably in a position of arguing they made a good choice. Probably locked into a contract.

Every day I check my mail box hoping I find those cable cards. :hungry:

Called Verizon to find out what was taking so long on the cable cards and they apparently decided to send an installer without telling me. It is now scheduled for next Wed (1/28).

Glad you finally called them. The CSR's always tell customers they can self install cablecards and the customers always have to call back to find out that's not the case.

I really wish Verizon would get their billing and CS corrected. The FIOS service itself is outstanding (DVR discussion aside).

Well in less than one week I am on my 2nd HDDVR.

Glad you finally called them. The CSR's always tell customers they can self install cablecards and the customers always have to call back to find out that's not the case.

I really wish Verizon would get their billing and CS corrected. The FIOS service itself is outstanding (DVR discussion aside).

This was actually my 3rd call. 1st to order and was told would be mailed. 2nd time was told would arrive end of last week (in the mail). 3rd time was informed of the installer visit for this Weds (1/28). That would have been a missed service call because I was given no clue they were coming. But as long as I get the cards Weds I will be happy. :hungry:

HD bitrates...

...now that I have been warming up to the TivoHD, I took a closer look at some of the bitrates (MPEG-2) on the channels:

Manhunter 1/22, 13.18GB, 14.06 Mbits, SHWX 874
Michigan vs Northwestern, 17.50GB, 12.96 Mbits, Big Ten 585
Jan Leno 1/23, 6.69GB, 14.39 Mbits, NBC 505
HDNet Fights 1/23, 23.56GB, 17.45 Mbits, HDNet 569
Numbers 1/23, 6.53GB, 14.51 Mbits, CBS 511
NBA DET-HOU 1/25, 27.67GB, 17.57 Mbits, ESPNHD 570
The Last Templar 1/26, 12.31GB, 13.68 Mbits, NBC 505
The Last Templar 1/26, 12.46GB, 13.84 Mbits, NBC 5-1

Needless to say, the sports on HDNet and ESPNHD looked quite good, but Michigan vs Northwestern game was a bit soft on Big Ten HD. I'll have to keep an eye on BTN because I watch it a lot and I remember most sports looking better (but not as good as ESPN, TNT or HDNet). In any case, I am wondering why there is a small discrepancy between the two "The Last Templar" recordings...one FiOS and one OTA. The difference is very small, but both timers started and stopped at the same second.

Also, is there a way to find out how much hard-drive space is being used on the TivoHD? The 622 does it...the FiOS DVR does it...my Sony HDD500 does it...why can't I find it on the TivoHD? Like I said, I am warming up to the TivoHD and it has some really nice features...but now showing hard-drive space, an EPG that is in bad need of wide-screening and updating, and an Tivo Central that does not continue to display video/audio seem like frustrating oversights.

Verizon missed the (1pm-3pm) appointment yesterday. After several calls I got the installer to drop the cable cards at my home at 6pm. But ran into people who had no experience with cable cards when I called to activate. Will readdress it today and post results and more detailed info that might serve as a guide for any poor soul in the future.

Verizon missed the (1pm-3pm) appointment yesterday. After several calls I got the installer to drop the cable cards at my home at 6pm. But ran into people who had no experience with cable cards when I called to activate. Will readdress it today and post results and more detailed info that might serve as a guide for any poor soul in the future.

try this page

Set Top Box Activation

It was up and working (finally) last night. First impressions are good. It is light years ahead of the Motorola. The listings info is very good, on a par with E. Better than D. Much much better than the motorola. I like that I can blank out channels that I don't want to know about (SD duplicates and PPV) and that search results are much cleaner as a result. The thumbs up/thumbs down thing looks interesting. Overall I can see myself getting to like the tivo.

*An added observation. With the cleaner layout of the Tivo compared to the Motorola it really hits home how many HD movies are available with Fios. It is truly amazing! :D

Last edited:
Ok, here is some info that I would have found useful if I was starting from scratch during set up of my Series 3 when self installing the cable cards with Fios:

Set the basics up on the Tivo up in advance and familiarize yourself with the screens you can get to by pressing the button at the top of the remote that has the Tivo icon (Tivo central).

The cards I received were 2 Motorola cards (M cards). Write down the serial number (SN) and the unit address (UA) listed on each card and keep track of which one you put in slot 1 and 2.

After the cards are inserted access the menu (Tivo Central) and work your way through to the screen that is called CableCard(tm) pairings for slot 1. The two most important numbers are called Host and Data. It also shows Unit Address (UA). You will definitely need 3 numbers for card 1, Serial Number (SN) from the card itself and Host and Data from the cable card pairing screen. I found I also needed the UA number. I don't know if that's needed all the time, but it was during my setup. Also the number of zeros at the start of the UA number is important. In my case it was 7 zero's.

Call this Verizon number: 888-553-1555. If you call another number (like 800-483-4400) it probably will not be a good experience (I'm pretty sure that's why I had so many problems to begin with). After the first card is activated (verify by looking at the Cable Card 1 diagnostics screen) and shows authorized by the cable company (ie: Verizon) repeat the whole process for step 2.

Expect to be on the phone a long time after you get a Verizon Tech. It just takes a long time to get each card processed.

If all fails and you aren't getting anywhere they will probably refer your case to another dept called the Video (something or other) where they can totally reprogram either one or both cards. Those people must be the super techs, they ultimately got me going.

Good luck

Last edited:
Next up...trying to swap out my two singlestream Cablecards for one M-Card without having to deal with the installation crew so I can save $4 per month. The one thing I noticed about FiOS (at least with my FiOS service) is that I can swap-out Cablecards within my residence as frequently as I wish. I have two S-Cards in the Tivo and one in the Sony HD DVR, but I can remove them and place them into my CableCard ready TVs without having to place a calls into tech support.

The latest bitrates...

...with FiOS TV, it's funny how even my wife noticed that shows on HDNet and TNT (The Closer) look better than the broadcast networks (CSI, CSI: Miami, etc.). The broadcasters provided a stellar HD picture for several years before multicasting 2-3 subchannels.

The Closer 2/16, 7.65GB, 60 minutes, 17.00 Mbits, TNT 551
The Mentalist 2/17, 6.59GB, 61 minutes, 14.40 Mbits, CBS 511
Criminal Minds 2/18, 6.21GB, 60 minutes, 13.80 Mbits, CBS 511
CSI: NY, 2/18, 2/18, 6.33GB, 60 minutes, 14.07 Mbits, CBS 511
CSI, 2/19, 6.40GB, 61 minutes, 14.22 Mbits, CBS 11-1
UM vs. OSU Hockey, 16.33GB, 165 minutes, 13.20 Mbits, BTN 585
HDNet Fights 2/20, 23.80GB, 180 minutes, 17,63 Mbits, HDNet 569

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts