FiOS Rollout schedule

cribpiece

Original poster
May 7, 2006
I've searched and searched, as I've learned to do as a member of multiple forums, so prior to my first post, I've made an attempt to find my answer- and have not been successful.

Has anyone come across a link to an official or unofficial rollout schedule plan? I live in Long Beach, on Long Island (Nassau County, NY) and I haven't heard anything about future plans here. I understand from perusing many threads that Verizon has to obtain franchising ONLY for FiOS video, but not for FiOS internet.

Therefore, it would seem logical that while a scheduled rollout plan would be nearly impossible for video (outside of Texas and now FL), I think there should be something somewhere regarding internet rollout. There may possibly be a list of planned town/city hearings available for gaining franchising for the video piece, and I welcome comments/answers regarding that as well.

Thanks in advance to kind folks who provide their insight.

Last edited:
Verizon doesn't wish to tip their hand to the competition so you're not likely to find much information on related to future deployments/plans (proprietary business information). Anyway, this is about as much "official" information you're going to find on FiOS in your (New York) area:

http://www22.verizon.com/about/community/ny/
http://www22.verizon.com/about/community/ny/technology/tech_index.html

Some communities, like Verizon Virginia Inc., post monthly fiber constuction schedules, but they are often inaccurate. You're probably much more likely to find accurate information from your local franchise authority (LFA) or Cable TV Commission and public utilities department.

I can appreciate their desire to keep proprietary information private for such valid reasons. However, I'd think an insider would leak some information regarding the deployment of this highly anticipated service. As a member of other forums, I see this time and again, info that no one else has anywhere else being displayed right there for anyone to view...provided they at least know where to search for it. I'd think this is no different and that someone has posted the exact information we're seeking on a forum somewhere, we just have to keep searching. I will advise if I stumble upon it, and I'd hope that you all would reciprocate. Again, if anyone has any related information, please post here. Thanks again.

Funny Verizon anecdote. I opened up a new small business office and ordered a couple of lines from Verizon.

So during the call the CSR says "would you be interested in having television service at this location?"

So my ears prop up and I say dont tell me you have FIOS coming in there? The CSR says no but it will be coming around soon. I asked well if youre not offering FIOS what are you offering. Thats when they started trying to sell me D*. Which I thought was odd but perhaps is normal.

Can someone tell me what the deal is with Verizon and D*?

cribpiece said:
However, I'd think an insider would leak some information regarding the deployment of this highly anticipated service.
It's done for a variety of reasons. It's not real secret where Verizon is doing deploys at. In most cases it's a matter of public record as Verizon needs to get local approval, construction permits, etc. You just have to know where to look to find it.

Verizon doesn't want the competition to know where it's planning on deploying FiOS in the mid to long term for obvious reasons of competition. Also, they don't want to say that community XYZ will be deployed in 2008, and then 2008 comes along and unforseen circumstances requires the deployment to be pushed off. It generates more calls and questions to them, increases disappoint, etc. It's easier just not to say anything and deny everything they continually trying to keep everyone up to date.

Attached is a pdf file regarding FiOS deployment which I found on Verizon's website dated June 10, 2005. See file at the following url:

http://www22.verizon.com/about/community/md/files/Fiber_to_the_People_-_May_2005.pdf

As you may have guessed from the url, the file is resident on the Verizon Maryland site, but provides information, be it nearly a year old, on nationwide deployment. As I've noticed, my community is not listed. I will report back as I find anything further, hopefully more current.

Attachments

• Fiber_to_the_People_-_May_2005.pdf
    262.5 KB · Views: 890
Long Beach and Town of Hempstead in Nassau County, Long Island, NY

I found another pdf on my local town website. This is the franchise agreement between the town and Verizon, and it includes a deployment schedule. However, my town, Long Beach, is actually a city which is geographically within the town, but since it's self governing with it's own police, fire, water and sanitation, the franchise agreement specifically excludes Long Beach. I hate it! I've left a message with the city to get details, since they have to have been approached by Verizon, if they are getting towns on every side of me (except south, lol which is the Atlantic Ocean).

I think Verizon can offer the FiOS internet to us without obtaining town franchise agreements though. Does anyone know how this works and the legalities of this? It is very important to me, since my surrounding neighborhoods are getting FiOS TV in 2007, according to the attached pdf, which means that the FiOS internet service should be available in 2007 as well, or before like in other areas.

See the news page regarding this on the TOH website at: http://toh.li/content/home/news/verapprov.html

Attachments

• toh & verizon franchise agreement.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 343
NYS PSC approves video franschis in Town of Hempstead

See news article here http://toh.li/content/home/news/verizonapproval.html

Anyone know the answer to the question I asked in the previous post:
cribpiece said:
I think Verizon can offer the FiOS internet to us without obtaining town franchise agreements though. Does anyone know how this works and the legalities of this? It is very important to me, since my surrounding neighborhoods are getting FiOS TV in 2007, according to the attached pdf, which means that the FiOS internet service should be available in 2007 as well, or before like in other areas.

I'd appreciate any feedback!

I wouldn't rely too heavily on these letters from Verizon or their website. I have been told for the past 7 months that TV is coming to my area soon. I am given a date and then it is pushed back. My CO is in Rowlett, Tx and I live in Wylie, TX. I have people all around me in Wylie, Rowlett, and Rockwall who can get it but not me. I am in a new subdivision that was pre-wired for Cat-5 and already have FIOS internet. I am so frustrated with Verizon that I am almost to the point of getting rid of all my services with them.

tampa is a city within tampa . but, our addresses are tampa. verizon has struck two deals here.

Hello all, new member but i've been lurking for about 2 months now. I have a question with Verizons overall plans. It seems like they are agressively going after the state of MD, is there any specific strategy or are deployments just based on how easy it would be to install in smaller counties? Im currently in Cecil County MD which is a large county with some far reaching rural areas. Im ready to diss the Dish but i need a better option than Comcast.

Good luck with Cecil County. Isn't that Armstrong Cable up there? I would be willing to bet that you won't see FIOS anytime soon. Cecil is very rural in most of the county.

I believe I have read that Verizon does plan to eventually convert everyone over to fiber, tho. So it should be in your future, just not your immediate future.

-John

Fios just started advertising in commercials in brevard county, however when you call them, they state that its not planned yet. I quickly told them they shouldnt advertise something thats not going to be around for a long time and hung up the phone.

Khandurian said:
I quickly told them they shouldnt advertise something thats not going to be around for a long time and hung up the phone.

Hmm? Seems non-productive and pointless. Why not talk to them like an adult and get some answers?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts