Fios Router Extendable ?

dont24

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 20, 2004
MA
Family member has FIOS for internet service. They supplied the wireless router. I don't know the model #, but before I start looking for range extenders, are FIOS routers capable of being extended?

I added an Apple AirPort Extreme as an additional access point.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I added an Apple AirPort Extreme as an additional access point.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
Nice didn't think about this one. I have an airport express I can bring over and try

I stand corrected. Mine is an Express, not an Extreme. Sorry for the brain burp. But it works just fine. In fact, I may soon attach a printer for simple wireless printing.

I'll assume any extender should work? He's not an Apple guy, so I'm possibly looking at a Netgear , Dlink, etc..

Last edited:
Yes. Just turn off DHCP so you only have one on the network, making it an access point.

I chose the Apple because at the time, there were only two routers I could find on the market that did simultaneous 2.4 & 5 GHz. The other one cost even more. I went with something that would "just work." And saved a few bucks. You have to decide which band, both bands, or even simultaneous. And I am informed that you can have both wireless points with the same SSID & pw, for seamless transfer between devices.

BTW, I'm not an Apple guy, would not give a Mac space in my home. But my iPhone works well, as does my wife's iPad3. And this Express.

Last edited:
All I have is Macs. My express works great extending my network. But good point. I guess I need to find out what he has for devices, before I start looking.

Well, let me correct my correction, not that it matters. I went by looks, thinking it, my Apple router, matched the Express. But using the AirPort utility, it is definitely an Extreme, fifth generation. And it works fine with my FIOS router.

Now to figure out why AirPort is on the iPad3, but not the iPhone5. It says it's optimized for iPhone5, and works with iOS 6 or later. iPad is on 7, iPhone is on 6.

Any router that can use dd-wrt can be used to extend your range.I have been finding some old linksys routers,flash them with dd-wrt,makes great repeaters.Got less than $10 in two of them.

Actually, many, even without DD-WRT (which I respect), will serve as access points. Just plug them in, defeat DHCP/DNS, and you're good to go.

Of course, we're talking about the wireless side of things.

Actually, many, even without DD-WRT (which I respect), will serve as access points. Just plug them in, defeat DHCP/DNS, and you're good to go.

Of course, we're talking about the wireless side of things.

True but,with a dd-wrt flashed router you can extend your network both wifi and ethernet.The best factor to me is the price.;)

All I have is Macs. My express works great extending my network. But good point. I guess I need to find out what he has for devices, before I start looking.

It really doesn't matter that much what the devices are. The Airport Extreme/Express works fine with Windows. Macs, iPhones, iPads, etc... work fine with routers not made by Apple.

I recently bought a Netgear router and gave my 5th Gen Airport Extreme to my parents to replace their old Linksys wireless G router. They have 12 devices hooked up to the extreme and a single iPhone is the only Apple device on the network. Outside of the increased range and speed over their old Linksys you wouldn't know anything has changed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)