FIOS TV user review

mindgrind

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 9, 2005
I thought I would share my initial thoughts with a user review of Fios TV for those wondering if the fuss is worth it. I have been exploring and disseminating my install for 2 days now. I have had Dish for two years with HD and DVR, and previous to Dish, Direct with Tivo. I will base my amateur review on these products. I own a 36” Sony Wega as well as a 60” Sony LCD projection television. Both have been equipped with Fios TV's HD DVR's.

DVR
My first concern was the DVR; when I left Tivo for Dish's version... well, yikes. It was pretty bad, so I was worried about Fios since this is their first foray into Tivo-ville. I have been pleasantly surprised. It is very easy to record with one touch. Touch the record button twice and you have set up your “Season Pass”. You can further go into options for first run, all episodes, etc. The unit has dual tuners.

PICTURE QUALITY
Obviously since the pipeline is huge with fiber optics, there is no need for compressing the signal ala satellite. I tend to zoom the picture to fill all 60” (something my wife hates) and things still look pretty dang good without the paste-y look you get with digital compression. Of course, you are still at the mercy of SD's resolution as well as the mercy of who is putting the signal out. I suppose I was looking for a more drastic difference, but garbage in... you know. HD is fantastic with a slight boost in sharpness compared to Dish, which is already great. MTV has their HD channel running and looks incredible.

INSTALLATION
I was scheduled between 1pm-4pm, and my three friends showed up about 5pm. They happened to all be from Texas as I am, but also said they have guys coming in from all over the try and keep up. They took 2 hours from the install (I already have Fios Internet) in 3 rooms, with one being quite tricky. They have been putting in 12-14 hours days, six days a week, so be nice (hehe)! They knew what they were doing and everything went smoothly.

PROGRAMMING/COST
I was sold on quality of picture but to sell to the wife, you show her all the channels you get... which is pretty much everything. I didn't go for the sports package, but for the movie package. I think in all it must be about 200 channels, HD, 2 HD DVR's, and one SD box for a tad over $70. Just a hair over Dish and having the bottom feeder package with what, 60 channels? I lost Voom, gained Universal HD, ESPN 2, and MTV HD. National Geographic is not running in my area yet. All these channels in two packages? Awesome.

VOD/PPV
Not bad, not fantastic. Here is where you'll see some compression. At this point there aren't tons of offerings, but it's not awful either. As far as Starz, you will have access with Video On Demand for every one of their movies; very convenient. The downside is that there seems to be no VOD or PPV for HD! I was a little surprised by that! Probably in the works. You can treat the VOD just as you would a VCR with ff/rw, etc. My daughter loves it with no DVR in her room- she now has the next best thing.

CONCLUSION
Highly recommended! Picture quality, cost, and convenience. The DVR isn't Tivo level, but it's pretty darn good. The guide isn't the best, but very well, and simply laid out. I really see no reason to keep Dish or Direct (can't comment on cable) if Fios is offered in your area. Worth the wait? You bet. If you have a question, I'll try and answer as long as it isn't very technical--- there's plenty of other guys that can help you there. Now, GO BITE THE BULLET!

Yep, I agree, great real world, hands-on review. I can't wait to see FiOS show up in greater force throughout all the metro areas of the USA.

Man, I'll tell you I was dying myself since last year. I was so sick of Dish's horrible compression of local channels, the cost of their HD DVR (which I never bought), having to move the antenna every other channel for HD locals through their HD reciever, the hit and miss of the rf remote from the bedroom for the single DVR unit, etc... whew, glad it's over!
When I canceled Dish this morning and the woman asked why, I replied I had Fios installed. She asked what in the world that was- let's just say it was very tempting to tell her that she'll soon be getting a LOT more calls from new Fios users; but I was nice, and she was clueless.
Hang in there- it's coming!

Is there any map, grid, chart (LOL) that someone has put together showing planed areas of rollout? Not a tiny Verizon deal, but father out like Q4 2006.

Thanks for the review. Ive been told I can order later this month.

Mindgrind, thanks for the great review. I have also been a Dish customer for 3 years with HD/Voom package. Dish just seems to change weekly on what their HD receiver would be needed and how much the HD will cost (including receiver fees). I felt I was getting beat up trying to keep with all changes/rumors. I am so glad to that FIOS came to Flower Mound.

I am having FIOS internet and TV installed on the 23rd. I can't wait to see the picture quality. It will be a good time to say goodbye to Charlie.

Ah, Bob- right down the street from me (I'm in Lewisville). The first thing my wife said was, "Look! I don't have to wait for the guide to download." I hated the HD receiver from day one... how many times have YOU had to reboot it?

Well, I don't think you'll be blown away by the picture quality, although better. It's just that everything is a bit better than what you have. Pretty amazing from a phone company. Where will they be a year from now?

Mindgrind,

Greetings to my Lewisville neighbor. Yes, I do think my wife will like the DVR and the no waiting on the download. Yes, rebooting the receiver (811) is a real beating. After many upgrades, it still does it.

Curious on the picture quality, is the SD channels better than Dish? I will say the pq on the HD on Dish was good (HD Lite was not the best, but it was still so much better when compared to SD). I just believe the locals and FoxSports Net pn Dish was always soft to me.

rtt2 said:

P.S. Do you have a zoom / close up for the Southlake or Kellar area in DFW (TX)? We might be transferring there and I would like to know few zip codes to look at to see if its there or coming soon.

bobtx said:
Mindgrind,
Curious on the picture quality, is the SD channels better than Dish? I will say the pq on the HD on Dish was good (HD Lite was not the best, but it was still so much better when compared to SD). I just believe the locals and FoxSports Net pn Dish was always soft to me.

Yes, the SD is better mostly because you don't get the "blotchy-ness" you have with the compression of Dish. In fact, when I zoom up the SD movie channels to fill the 60" tv, I would say that it is just a notch below watching a DVD!
I would also put the SD picture below the SD picture you have on the local digital feeds like the news or something. I would say this is more a problem of what a channel like "E" or whoever feeds to Verizon rather than a error of the Fios.
The locals look ten times better than the even lower compression that Dish puts on locals, so a BIG improvement there.
I'll bet you REALLY can't wait until you get it now! I feel for all the states that still have to wait.

Mindgrind,

That is great news on pq! Can't wait for the 23rd to roll around. Yes, I think Dish and DirectTV are happy that Verizon is not in more states.

You guys are lucky! I'm in HoCo, MD and am looking forward to FIOS TV coming soon (March/April timeframe). They've marked my street, and will be digging soon for FIOS (internet). So probably by April it might be available to me. I can't wait!!!

-John

FIOS TV is AVAILABLE for the entire Zip Code area of "76248" which is Keller, TX and the northern most part of Fort Worth, Texas. Folks living in the area just west of Alta Vista Rd and HWY-170, have FIOS TV available.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)