Firefox experts- how to configure for WM9 player

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
I have had this little annoyance ever since I first started using Firefox. Maybe one of you have figured out how to over come this.

When I use IE and come across a link to a WMV file. I can click on it and it launches the WM player I have and in a few seconds the video begins to play, ie it buffers a few Mb and then starts playing.
With Firefox, I open up a left column of download links and add to it. It will download the entire file before I can begin to play the video. Sometimes it is a huge file and the wait is long.

Is there a way I can train Firefox to buffer just a few Mb of the video and while still downloading it begins to play?

You can also install the IETab add on. It will switch the page you are viewing into IE. It is usefull for pages that only work in IE without you having to open IE and navigate to the page you want. Right click and click is all it takes.

Thanks, but I could not find anything on that link that adresses the problem of not buffering the content as it does with IE6+

gbjbany-

That was some interesting reading. I tried it out and it still will want to download the entire video file before allowing me to play it. Maybe I didn't install it right but that's what is happening.
It appears that Firefox is incapable of handling WMV properly at this time.

I have some clients who questioned this and while I knew of the problem didn't realize it was officially a real problem. For now I'll just need to recommend they stick with IE6+ for wmv, unless they want to wait for the download.

Last I checked, the Mac and Quicktime in Safari also handled wmv OK as long as Flip for mac was installed. Seems FF should be able to get this worked out. I just launched IE7 and clicked on a 77Mb wmv file link and it began to play within a second. That's the way FF should work.

You can also install the IETab add on. It will switch the page you are viewing into IE. It is usefull for pages that only work in IE without you having to open IE and navigate to the page you want. Right click and click is all it takes.

Wow! that works great! Thanks. I'll just need to remember to right click on any troubled media or website and then I select IE tab and the wmv file began to play immediately. Works good enough for me and the install was pretty easy.

I am still confused about what is actual wrong. I don't have any issues handling WMV in Firefox and without needing IE Tab, but I guess if it work then cool, but it would be cool to see what is setup incorrectly or not at all. Do you have a link you used that I can browse to to test it?

Use any wmv link on the internet.

There is no issue for some who don't know how it should work. I have a fast internet connection here and set my WMP buffer to buffer 10 seconds. This often will allow the media to begin streaming immediately even with a 150 Mb file size. But that is with IE7. In Firefox, it will download the entire file and THEN launch WMP and play it. This may take 5 minutes here even at my speeds. According to some of the links offered the trouble with Firefox is some people can't even autolaunch the WMP and play the file. The IE tab makes it work and all I have to do is right click on the link to make it happen. You can look at any of the sample TV shows I have on my website.

I did notice that since I have the latest java installed, FF will play java embedded video, even wm9 files without aid of IE Tab. For straight links that require the browser to open the player, it doesn't work.

Wow! that works great! Thanks. I'll just need to remember to right click on any troubled media or website and then I select IE tab and the wmv file began to play immediately. Works good enough for me and the install was pretty easy.

If you look at the bottom right, you will see a Firefox icon. If you click on the icon, it will render with the IE engine and change to an IE icon. The icon indicates the active rendering engine ;) If you click again, you'll switch back to firefox.

It might be quicker and easier for you than right clicking then scrolling down to "Open in IE Tab".

Cheers,

I am still confused about what is actual wrong. I don't have any issues handling WMV in Firefox and without needing IE Tab, but I guess if it work then cool, but it would be cool to see what is setup incorrectly or not at all. Do you have a link you used that I can browse to to test it?

I agree, I always have a live streaming video. Look at attached pic.

Don if you are using WMP 11 then check this out. Scroll to the bottom. There is a problem with WMP 11 plugin and Firefox.

PluginDoc: Windows (Most Popular)

Attachments

• Capture (21,11_08_59).jpg
    Capture (21,11_08_59).jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 191
What some of you may not appreciate is what I'm dealing with on this issue. Try to understand. The concern I have is NOT what I need to do but what the J6P guy has to do to watch these videos before he gets frustrated at not having it come on instantly. If it has to buffer for long, he moves on. I spen lots of time and money a few years ago developing the best case scenario to offer up video on the web. Today, there is nothing remarkable at what I'm doing but for the fact that the way I do this, very few people are complaining when they use IE and windows. I had about .03% of people using Macs who filed incompatibility complaints and since supportiung Flip for Mac those small number of complaints disappeared. Now after 9 months of an increasing popularity of FireFox, the complaints have begun to return.
John K. Thanks for the suggestion. I give that a try and if that works it sure will be easier to offer as a solution. Back in a minute while I test...
Well that was quick. John, you're a genius. That is even easier and it works like a champ.
I tried to play the wmv file as normal and it began the long download. I clicked on that icon and the engine switched with the IE logo and then when I clicked on the link the WMV file began to play immediately. Cool! Now I have two solutions. But this one is the easiest to offer to people who call me up complaining.

Although I have never had any of these issues nor had to do anything "special" do get vids to work in Firefox, it really is not all that hard even for J6P and since this browser solution is more secure (or less attacked) and far less bloated, then I am willing to go an extra step or two when needed.

I would still love to try out a few SPECIFIC links YOU are having trouble with. I want to fresh D/L Firefox onto a test machine and without any add-on or plug-ins; visit those links to see what happens, if anything.

Now, some sites; like Netflix, are well known to use some sort of "sniffer" to detect when you are not using an IE engine and THEY purposely BLOCK you from their video. This should be illegal and is in no way a Firefox issue.

This is exactly when the IE Tab add-on should be used.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts