Firefox- I finally made the move!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Don,

I think what are you describing is the bookmarks toolbar.

The cool thing is that once you define all your favorite sites, you can then click on the Bookmarks pulldown, then right click on your Bookmarks Toolbar Folder and select "Open all in Tabs" -- this will load all of your bookmark toolbar sites at once.

CHeers,

I thought I was not finding any incompatibilities, until today. And this one is a critical one!

I publish cable TV schedules for my programming on the web. I use Excel spreadsheet to work out the complex rules off show order and frequency. Then in the process, I make a presentable spreadsheet for the cable master controls to follow, as well as for the owners of those shows to see when their program will air. So far I have had no complaints as everyone has been using IE, I presume. Now with Firefox, I see the html outputs from excel are exposing some but not all of the hidden columns. No harm in seeing this stuff but it is confusing to a viewer. Again, I have had no complaints. Other than making a clean spread sheet of just the visible data only, I have no idea how to correct this flaw.

I decided to check out the pages on Safari on my Mac... Same problem as Firefox. It is exposing some but not all of the data columns.

In addition, one of the columns is exposed in a different alphabet that looks like Russian. I'm not kidding about this.

For now I am satisfied that I am aware of it and if the issue comes up I can blame it on the browser. But I'd be curious if any of you have ideas about this.

I thought I was not finding any incompatibilities, until today. And this one is a critical one!

I publish cable TV schedules for my programming on the web. I use Excel spreadsheet to work out the complex rules off show order and frequency. Then in the process, I make a presentable spreadsheet for the cable master controls to follow, as well as for the owners of those shows to see when their program will air. So far I have had no complaints as everyone has been using IE, I presume. Now with Firefox, I see the html outputs from excel are exposing some but not all of the hidden columns. No harm in seeing this stuff but it is confusing to a viewer. Again, I have had no complaints. Other than making a clean spread sheet of just the visible data only, I have no idea how to correct this flaw.

I decided to check out the pages on Safari on my Mac... Same problem as Firefox. It is exposing some but not all of the data columns.

In addition, one of the columns is exposed in a different alphabet that looks like Russian. I'm not kidding about this.

For now I am satisfied that I am aware of it and if the issue comes up I can blame it on the browser. But I'd be curious if any of you have ideas about this.

don't know if this helps.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4102

You should look at this.

OpenOffice.org: Home

Thanks for the links. I looked at them briefly but wasn't sure how they would help. Besides, the solution needs to be built in as it isn't just me that will have the problem but anyone on the internet using Firefox will be able to see some of my scratch columns that should be hidden.
One solution is here, when I compose the spreadsheets to stop hiding columns and build a clean sheet just for display that references the calculation sheet. The down side is I will need to go in and re-format all my schedules for all the channels. Not a quick and easy task as there are over a hundred! Could take weeks of work with no rate of return on the time spent.

Thanks for the links. I looked at them briefly but wasn't sure how they would help. Besides, the solution needs to be built in as it isn't just me that will have the problem but anyone on the internet using Firefox will be able to see some of my scratch columns that should be hidden.
One solution is here, when I compose the spreadsheets to stop hiding columns and build a clean sheet just for display that references the calculation sheet. The down side is I will need to go in and re-format all my schedules for all the channels. Not a quick and easy task as there are over a hundred! Could take weeks of work with no rate of return on the time spent.

I think when you use an office product with a browser you need an activex control, and FF doesn't implement activex.

Look here for problems, the forums might help, they will know more than me.

mozillaZine - Your Source for Daily Mozilla News and Advocacy

I just installed it and it does load pages faster. I had trouble with Quick Time but installed it again and seems to run ok. Is there an add on for page zoom like IE7 has? I miss that feature.

On the fourth, I was visiting with my daughter's husband's parents and her mother-in-law is quite the passionate Mac head but more so, a real knowledgeable person on computers and web design. I took my Mac Book pro with me as I knew she would be greatly disappointed if I didn't. While showing it to her, I decided to pick her brain on this Firefox and Safari- Excel issue. She knew exactly what the problem was and broke it down for me by examining my web pages. I don't recall all the details but it seems that pages created by MS Word and Excel all use a special header that is unique and not recognized in pure html code. However, IE and Office being both Microsoft have this extra code that permits proper intended visual formatting. So, it isn't that Firefox or Safari, or even Netscape, is at fault here, it's that MS has created a number of additional proprietary routines for html code that the standard doesn't have.

While this doesn't resolve my problem it does explain it. In addition, she said that Mozilla developers are already aware of this issue and are working on it for a new release. Same for Safari but she had additional information that MS was not cooperating with Apple and making Apple discover these incompatibilities on their own.

She showed me how IE recognizes the special code and where it was but the fix would not be easy and the fix I do now is probably the easiest ( build second spreadsheets that only contain visual data columns, keeping the hidden columns in a referenced sheet, not published on the web. )

I did find it interesting that the discussion centered on how MS was at fault on this rather than Firefox and Safari. I guess when you know you are BMOC you can change the rules as you want and force everyone else to figure the rules out and implement adjustments.

Why save it as a spreadsheet or export a spreadsheet as html? Export it as a PDF and it will look the same on any browser or computer.

Why save it as a spreadsheet or export a spreadsheet as html? Export it as a PDF and it will look the same on any browser or computer.

I thought I had already answered this but apparently not. This is a specification by those using the information, not something I have a choice over. I am paid to deliver the chart as a web page. If it were my choice, I'd just send them the xls file. exporting the spreadsheet with many columns hidden to a web page is how I chose to get the job done. just hide the columns, save the file as an html and put it on the web server. Also, there are several ways to correct this, I admit. but I'm also not looking to spend lots of time , or more time than I currently am.

I tried it but had to go back to IE7...too many sites won't load properly in Firefox....Ebay especially is a mess.....I liked it, but for me it won't work properly. :(

I never have any problems with Ebay in FF, or really any site for that matter.

I will never go back to IE.

Discovered another annoyance with FF.

Maybe it's just a setting I need to make, hopefully! Two complaints:

When I select a wmv file to play in FF I use the WMP, in IE 7.0 I have wmp as the default player as well. In FF it asks me each time if this is the default and I say yes and check the box to remember it but it never does. 2nd problem In IE6 and 7 I have WMP set to buffer a few seconds and begin play before the entire file is downloaded. With FF, it wants to download the entire video file before it will begin to play. on some of my long form videos, this could take 15 minutes before I can see the video.

Discovered another annoyance with FF.

Maybe it's just a setting I need to make, hopefully! Two complaints:

When I select a wmv file to play in FF I use the WMP, in IE 7.0 I have wmp as the default player as well. In FF it asks me each time if this is the default and I say yes and check the box to remember it but it never does. 2nd problem In IE6 and 7 I have WMP set to buffer a few seconds and begin play before the entire file is downloaded. With FF, it wants to download the entire video file before it will begin to play. on some of my long form videos, this could take 15 minutes before I can see the video.

Hope this helps.:)

Port 25 : Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin - Download

If not, try this page, they know a lot more than me.:)

Firefox Support - MozillaZine Forums

I have run FireFox since it's inital release. I find, however, that I must use IE7 or IE6 for those sites that use the old Microsoft Java (not supported by anyone since April 2004) as opposed to Sun Java.

I tried it but had to go back to IE7...too many sites won't load properly in Firefox....Ebay especially is a mess.....I liked it, but for me it won't work properly. :(
I've never had any issues, but for any pages that don't work quite right with Firefox, install the IE Tab extension and you can specify to open certain sites using the IE engine within the Firefox GUI.

If you like Firefox and haven't used them already, go browse through some extensions and you'll like it even better. Go the the Firefox webpage then click on "Add-ons" (they used to call them 'extensions').

Some of my favorites:
IE Tab
Google Preview
Foxmarks
Forecastfox
All-in-one Sidebar
2 Pane Bookmarks

I have run FireFox since it's inital release. I find, however, that I must use IE7 or IE6 for those sites that use the old Microsoft Java (not supported by anyone since April 2004) as opposed to Sun Java.

I never had a problem with any site, unless they use Quicktime, it never loaded, finally uninstalled Quicktime and Itunes, and installed just Quicktime and now it works.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)