firetv sale for Amazon Prime members

That is an issue. Even the otherwise-handy automatic HDMI switches are a poor solution, if you have anything else (such a Dish receiver) that is putting out video even when "off". This is an issue with my Roku as well. It has no "off" button.

I hate it when TV manufacturers go cheap and only include one HDMI. Luckily my AVR has 5 HDMI inputs, so I only need one on the TV.

HDMI inputs are really sensitive to power spikes as well; both of my bigger TV’s have blown HDMI ports. So I can’t imagine only having one- if it blows, you’re done.

Reactions: TheKrell
Yum. My words don’t taste too bad.

MBR TV has four HDMI ports, under the dust.

LR TV has only one. Bought it in 2005.

So- do I
A. Keep both HWS. No need to teach SWMBO a new interface.

B. Turn in the MBR HWS and put in the dongle.

C. Or drink the H3 kool aide?

Actually, I have filled the HDMI ports on my MBR AVR and that must have been what confused me. I’ll have to set up a switch to get the Roku up and running.

Firetv is fantastic for taking Dish on the road. It fits in a jacket pocket and has a remote control. Really great solution for taking your home tv experience with you. Easy to use and very satisfying. I wish I could have bought it at these discounted prices.

Hotels have an available HDMI port and allow its use?

If so, SOLD!
Sometimes, most have the HDMI ports locked out. I've run into both before. Really sucks when you're on an extended stay for work and bring a game console with you

Yes , I agree. The main reason that I bought the firetv stick is to use while I'm traveling. I really like my Roku, but for some reason Dish decided not to support Dish Anywhere on the Roku (strange that they support Sling on the Roku, but not Dish Anywhere). I had been thinking about buying the firetv stick for a while now, but when I saw it on sale for $24.99, I couldn't resist.

Sometimes, most have the HDMI ports locked out. I've run into both before. Really sucks when you're on an extended stay for work and bring a game console with you

The only hotels I’ve ever had HDMI issues with have been La Quinta. Most Sheratons, Hiltons, even Red Roof Inns have available HDMI.

Sometimes, when the HDMI inputs are locked out, I ask the Desk or manager for the real actual remote control and I unlock an HDMI input to use while I am there. More and more places while traveling have HDMI inputs available on their TVs.

Some hotels (La Quinta) buy TV’s in bulk that have HDMI ports but they’re non-functional because the motherboards are neutered on purpose (no HDMI processor) to make the TV’s less expensive. That’s what I was told by a maintenance guy there once.

Reactions: HipKat and TheKrell
Several years back when I first got my Chromecast, I did not have an HD TV, just the A/V inputs. From Amazon I bought a little converter box that converted HDMI to A/V. It does work, but of course downgrades to 480'. But the sticks can be used in older TVs. A couple of the Roku's do have A/V inputs as well as the HDMI.

I usually just ask the front desk if they have a factory remote or if maintenance can unlock an hdmi temporarily for use during my stay. I also carry a universal remote that I can program to most of the hotel room tv's and usually do it myself.

Its been a year or so since I've had a problem though. I think they realize people now have need of the extra ports.

Most hotels I have stayed at have a working HDMI port available. The problem I always run into is hotel wifi speeds are so bad that it makes streaming video impossible (unless you pay for their upgraded bandwidth).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts