Firmware Update To Expressvu 9200 Disables OTA DVR Functions

DJ Rob

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Denver, Colorado
I'm one ticked off Bell Expressvu sub!:mad: Expressvu sent down an update tonight to their 9200 HD DVR (v220) that killed all of the Over The Air DVR functions. You can watch OTA digital channels but you can no longer pause, rewind or record if you take this update.

I don't see why they would take away an important feature like this without letting their customers know. We use OTA recording about 50% of the time.
In addition to that, this firmware has delays when pushing remote buttons.

They did add a section in the menu called "Multimedia". It has the ability to plug in a USB stick to the USB ports and view pictures on your TV. But I would rather have a stable receiver with the OTA features back.

You should take in account tight relationship between Dish and EVu, plus new digital TV market starting _now_ - Dish is ready to sell TR-50 and TR-40 and will be glad to provide some service (EPG ?) for fee. You could see a lot of revenue for the companies.

I'm one ticked off Bell Expressvu sub!:mad: Expressvu sent down an update tonight to their 9200 HD DVR (v220) that killed all of the Over The Air DVR functions. You can watch OTA digital channels but you can no longer pause, rewind or record if you take this update.

Hmm, I see - I can't hit pause or skip back now, but I can still hit the record button, and I can still create a timer. Taking away trick play sucks, but any OTA I really want I can still get with timers, I guess. It does seem really stupid to have done this.

ARRGH! I see - hitting the record button and setting a timer both result in a zero-minute entry that can't be played! What a complete screw up!

Last edited:
It's been a week now since they gave me this "update" and no fix. I wish they would just roll the firmware back until they get a version that works.

In addition to the OTA problem, button presses are sluggish (a delay of a couple of seconds sometimes) and there are HDMI handshake problems with my monitor. This receiver is hard to use for the average person and my wife is pretty much done with it.

I've been told they (Echostar and Bell) are working on a fix to the issues above and it will be released "soon".

I have a friend in Colorado that is at tech department at Echostar. He said this firmware for the 9200 was rushed to release because it supports the new smartcards Expressvu is swapping to very soon.

Seeing how they can release this "mess", I'm probably going to try the other Canadian provider and sell one of my two 9200's.

I've been told they (Echostar and Bell) are working on a fix to the issues above and it will be released "soon".

I have a friend in Colorado that is at tech department at Echostar. He said this firmware for the 9200 was rushed to release because it supports the new smartcards Expressvu is swapping to very soon.

Seeing how they can release this "mess", I'm probably going to try the other Canadian provider and sell one of my two 9200's.
At least it was tried first on Expressvu instead of Dish Network, where people rely more on OTA.
I don't think I've ever used the OTA stuff on my 9200, mostly because of no guide data.

Tried my DVR functions on the OTA channels just now. They still work.
I then checked the software version, and I'm still at V150.

They must have stopped the software rollout when they found out about the problem.

Hopefully they quickly fix those who are at V220.

I've been told that they are rolling out a new version for the 9200 (V221) today that is supposed to address all of the issues caused by v220. I'll be going to my house that has Expressvu this weekend and I'll report back once I put the update through its paces.

I just checked my box and got the new software. :)

Attachments

• 9200.jpg
    9200.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 298

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)