Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Just when I think I have seen it all my email box tonight was filled up with information on a new Satellite Receiver I have never heard of before.

Folks this one is a STRANGE receiver.

It's a HIGH DEFINITION receiver but the key is it does not receive Dish Network HD services!?!?!

This one sounds like a late April Fools Joke to me but I have received it from a few of my very trusted contacts which is why I am passing the info on to you. With that said I would not be surprised if we never see this receiver on the market. (At least I hope we never see it on the market) ;)

Ladies and Gentleman... May I introduce to you the new DISH 381 receiver!

Attachments

• QuickFacts_381.pdf
    143.3 KB · Views: 5,320
Isn't that just an 811? While I was typing this one, someone else was typing the same thing...It's just an 811. They had to do something with them!

Now we know what they are doing with all the 811's which are getting traded in.

This is a really dumb idea.

Dish just sell them for $50 each to EXPRESSVU!

I think this is advance planning on e*'s part.. The "analog" ota signals are set to "sunset" at some point..Most people will be forced to buy a "converter" to receive ota signals on their "analog" tv's. sooo not everyone can afford e*'s hd package or dont like satellite locals..sounds like a possible nifty marketing move on e*'s part

Its actually a great idea in the short-term, but stupid in the longrun

Dish gets all the old HD boxes in, refurbs them (normally), and just rewrites the FW not to see the HD Datatypes (as the "old" hd will eventually disappear)

They then sell it as an entry level box, for people who dont want dish HD , but want OTA, and it does not cost them a dime.

But its stupid at the same time, because it really screws the mpeg4 transition.

Yeah, Im gonna go with stupid too! I bet its only "soft locked" to disable HD, vs missing decoder chips etc!

ralfyguy said:
NO! SD for satellite and HD for OTA! This is DUMB!:mad:
not neccesarily HD over the air DIGITAL over the air for people without HD sets (svideo down converts HD to SD) Not everyone "owns" a HD set..This is just a way E* will reuse old technolgy(811) to deal with the coming analog to digital conversion in a cheap effective way . Pleanty of e* customers receive locals ota and E* will be in need of a chep effective solution to help migrate these people into the digital age

Last edited:
Pefect, I know lots of people just waiting for this.

I live in Nebraska, lets not forget there are still some DMAs that do not even have there Local SD channels up on dish yet. Like the North Plattel DMA.

I know several who would love this recevier as they get there locals over the air still and NOT on dish.

The receiver would get the locals OTA!!!

When will it be alv? I know of 2 sold all ready.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)