FIRST LOOK: Dish ViP722 Receiver!

Claude...maybe you can figure out how to stock the black bezels?!?! I know I'd buy some.

Hey Charlie, there's an idea......

Pimp my E* Receiver....

Do it all XBox like and sell detachable faceplates...

Or not.

Last edited:
And I'll wait for the Dish 305506633405622. The one with the 100 terabyte HD and 50 tuners. It'll probably be out the 3rd quarter of 2011, but probably before a competing satellite service adds more HD channels!
:bounce
slappinsmiley.gif

I'll pass on this one. Wait for the 922 :D

Naming it the 722 is more proof that whomever numbers the receivers for E* is on drugs.

We now have a 622 & 625, which are very different. And a 721 & 722 which are very different. The 721 is more like the 522 and 625 than the 722. However we also have 311 & 322, which have a logical connection. And the 510 and 522, which are quite similar.

The HD DVR progression path has been 921 -> 942 -> 622 -> 722. So if we were playing a math game, what would be the next number in the series? 342? 922? 666? Who knows? Certainly no one at Echostar.

I'd say it was almost like someone was throwing darts at a numbers chart, except that the present system is less logical than throwing darts.

They are going to run out of numbers in their 3 digit system and will have to go to the 2 digit numbers soon, perhaps add a letter onto it if they choose like the H71.

I agree 722 doesn't make sense. I don't see features here to justify naming it as a different major line. If it's just a tweak of the 622, how about 622 Mk II?

I agree 722 doesn't make sense. I don't see features here to justify naming it as a different major line. If it's just a tweak of the 622, how about 622 Mk II?

Its like the 522 and 625, they are basically the same reciever with diferent hard drive size (not that the consumer can utilize it) but the number have nothing to do with this, but hey, they have fun trowing the darts blindfolded.:rolleyes:

What would really be an awesome feature would be the ability to output a HD signal over the modulator, so you can get full HD on TV2. I wonder what kind of challenges there are in modulating a signal to be "broadcast" as ATSC instead of NTSC out of the modulator outputs.

I had convivned myself that dish would offer this in the receiver that repaces the 622, but I guess I fooled myself.

They can't offer that feature. An ATSC signal over the coax may be in HD, but there would be no copy protection features, and I'm sure the content providers would not allow Dish to do it. Stuff would be out on pirate discs and all over the internet within hours.

They can't offer that feature. An ATSC signal over the coax may be in HD, but there would be no copy protection features, and I'm sure the content providers would not allow Dish to do it. Stuff would be out on pirate discs and all over the internet within hours.

All they would have to do is watermark the Atsc output with the subscriber info. Then they can really go after them.

Very true. That is most likely the motivation behind not implementing such a feature... However...

I wonder what's going to happen once Manufacturers stop putting NTSC tuners in sets (Isn't that supposed to happen in a couple of years?) What will the solution be? Gigabit Ethernet (Too technical for the average consumer) or Wireless N (maybe) - I'm sure either will result in a lag of some sort.. How about if the modulated HD signal is encrypted some how, and you have to have a dongle of some sort on the "TV2" end to decrypt the signal - kind of like an old analog cable box - cheaper than second encoder, and still alows you to share programs recorded on one box with another.

Realistically, I see us eventually having to go back to the model of "a set-top box for every TV," however, I imagine, with a robust home network, you'l be able to atleast share programs recorded on any DVR in the house with any other DVR in the house (kind of like the newer TiVos). However, this will result in a lot of service issues for Dish, becuase the relative "plug and play" of ease of a modulator setup will be replaced witha home network that some consumers would expect Dish to be responsible for... I doubt that powerline network that dishis building-in to its receivers is going to be fast enough to allow the transfer of recorded content over a powerline network without considerable lag (maybe 5-10 minutes before you can really start to watch a show on a remote box and have enohbuffered to be able to skip commericials).

I guess we'll see what the future has in store!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)