First Look: DishONLINE

You know, I'm disappointed about the delays, too. But I must admit that my 5 plus years with Dish have been good. I rarely have rain fade. I previously had Cox cable, analog. They took over for Media General. Channels were constantly fading and becoming unwatchable. Miserable service. Too many times I had to meet repairmen at home, when I knew very well that the problem was in their outside lines and equipment.

With Dish, I have much better PQ, much better DVRs, almost uninterrupted service, more channels, HD (and a box with HDMI not just component) and more features with my STBs (except for VOD). I see it getting even better, just slower than I want.

The comparison of options for others may be different, but for me, Dish is far better than the cableco.

The way I see it, I signed up for a Satellite company. This IPTV/VOD stuff was never part of the package. So all of this effort on their part is gravy as far as I am concerned.

check out the Netgear XE104. p/n 877140 at cdw.com
I use these 4 port powerline boxes and they work great.

I do too.

I was HIGHLY disapointed with what I saw at CES for DishONLINE.

Its another great idea done in a half ass way.

At the moment it is select a movie to download and then wait a few hours for it to come down.

What is should be is a full service which includes streaming video or services currently not on Dish Network's satellite service.

It should be true video on demand where you can select a movie and after a few moments it starts playing on your machine.

If little operations like ITVN can do this, Dish should be able to doit as well.

I understand that they want to make sure the quality is perfect for the customer no matter what internet speed connection they have, but they should really take a look at how ITVN does it, selectable stream speeds and then also they should offer a HQ download if the customers wants it.

I truely believe the future of television is IPTV, however Generation 1 of Dish Networks IPTV service is about as half assed as it gets.

Sounds like what Dish Network is doing is what Vongo is failing miserably at.

Sounds like Dish is letting the nimrods who run the "Interactive TV" and "VOD" handle this one. Those are two other great features which are implemented in a underwhelming fashion.

yeah you know, the interactive tv thing (channel 100?) looks terrible.

it could have some very useful functionality if it used the ethernet port, but the screens literally look like they are from 1992.

Anthonyi,

Yes, I'm not sure how you could do it any other way since it sounds like the content will need to be downloaded first. Even if it was streaming, you would need somewhere to buffer it, and non-DVR units don't have hard drives.

I suppose that means that the ViP 622 would be the only box we're talking about. It would need to be ViP to have the ethernet port, and 622 is the DVR.

Anthonyi,

Yes, I'm not sure how you could do it any other way since it sounds like the content will need to be downloaded first. Even if it was streaming, you would need somewhere to buffer it, and non-DVR units don't have hard drives.

I suppose that means that the ViP 622 would be the only box we're talking about. It would need to be ViP to have the ethernet port, and 622 is the DVR.

I was only asking cause I know you don't need DVR service to use OnDamand on Comcast.

I know that The Weather Channel "on the eights" feature was tied into this thread at one time, but what's happened to that ?? Haven't heard a thing about it in a long time, nor was it mentioned during the last Tech Chat.

It could if they set it up this way, but they have not talked about it anywhere, so my guess is that it is low on their priority list.

Hooking up via ethernet doesn't "prove" where the box is located.
Neither does a phone line. And why the need to "prove" where it is if you only have one box? The proof part only matters when you have multiple receivers on your account. And if that were the case when using an ethernet hookup on all boxes, they would be coming from the same ip address.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts