First Look: DishPro Plus 33 Switch

I'm gonna get one of those DPP64 'cause I want all the 990x "you have a dish pointed at..." channels. :D

VERY few customers would require a DPP64 switch unless they plan on having 61.5/110/118/119/129/? as a type of configuration or perhaps replace one of those with another one that they are trying to get. What if they go to 4.5 degree spacing in the future? Then it would not take much at all to get to six orbital slots - 105.5 / 110 / 114.5 / 119 / 124 / 129 or replace some of those with some slots that are west of those or with 61.5 / 148.

At first I thought "why did they not put cascading ports onto the DPP33 along with making it incompabable with a DPP twin?" then I thought to myself that they wanted to make this a cheap switch (cheaper than a DPP44 switch) and not just a little bit cheaper, cheap enough to make it a DP-34 replacement. I am going to guess that the cost of this switch is going to be around the same price as a DP-34 switch. This switch will be able to be used on all SuperDishes. This switch will be able to be cascaded off of an existing DP-34 switch that is already installed since DP lnbf's are the required lnbf's for a DP-34 switch. Perhaps it is safe to say that whatever lnbf's can be used on a DP-34 switch can also be used on a DPP-33 switch, that the same conditions apply, assuming that a DP twin would work with a DPP-33 switch.

If Dish Network ever plans on bringing the SuperDish or something similar back then this could come in handy for those applications particularly in those situations where legacy adapters would have been required in the past. Dish Network saves $50 a peice on not having to supply those. This switch would also help for future generation of receivers that may have more tuners in them or if additional tuners would be needed for other things such as data downloads / internet / etc in which would need some additional tuners. I just cannot understand why they did not go ahead and put a fourth output on that switch making it a noncascadable DPP44 switch but then they cannot call it DPP44 in that case since that already exists. It was probably due to cost and the odds of someone needing more than three receivers when most installs use dual tuner receivers for additional receivers.

Do these new DPP switches/lnbf's have something in them that allows them to detect whether all of the receivers are connected to the same dish/switch? I have also noticed that those DP lnbf's on the Dish1000's look a little bigger than the older ones that were on the SuperDish. I wonder why?

Last edited:
Stargazer said:
. I just cannot understand why they did not go ahead and put a fourth output on that switch making it a noncascadable DPP44 switch but then they cannot call it DPP44 in that case since that already exists.

I suspect the real reason for the 3 satellite limit is that they wanted to do away with the power inserter. This switch probably takes slightly more power than a DP34 switch since it has to have the logic powered inside to bandstack as needed for dual tuners.

I wholeheartedly agree with Stargazer; the DPP33 looks to be the entry-level switch. Other than the non-cascade issue, I feel it's a good idea. At least here in Ohio, there are too many times when I've ran into a 3 receiver install, and one of the receivers being a dual tuner, with either a D500+, SD121 or D1000 and have had to bite the bullet and use a DP34.

And yes, the "backyard mechanics" out there may have a hell of time doing their own upgrades if they have a DPP Twin. I suspect a person may be able to "get away" with using the DPP Twin as long as all the receivers are DP.

Claude Greiner said:
Hopefully this switch will provide an easy solution for customers with an existing DP34 who want to upgrade to a Dual Tuner receiver without having to run new cables.

My guess claude is this is exactly what it was designed for. i'm shure there are some installs out there that in theory need "7" feeds to supply a single or dual tuner setup in your typical 4 bedroom house these days.

Pepper said:
I'm gonna get one of those DPP64 'cause I want all the 990x "you have a dish pointed at..." channels. :D

Exactly what I was thinking of doing! :hatsoff: :D

Imagine that dish farm! Boy that'd be fun to piss the homeowners association off with - especially 61.5! :D

Stargazer said:
If it says that it is not compabible with the 1000.2 dish then that either means that this switch was made before they planned the release of the 1000.2 dish or that we can expect the 1000.2 to come out soon.
Perhaps the DPP33 doesn't have a port that can use an FSS LNBF.

The DPP33 spec sheet says it's compatible with all DP LNBs but not DPP LNBs. Isn't the 1000.2 a DPP LNB? The Dish FSS LNBs are DP so they should work with the DPP33.

Neutron said:
Oops, I must have said the wrong dish. I have the one that points to 110, 119, and 129.
It will work with a 3 orb slot dish or a d-500 and a single sat wing dish.....You have a D-1000 dish

Scott Greczkowski said:
Once again SatelliteGuys.US is proud to give you another FIRST LOOK at another upcoming product from Dish Network.

This is the Dish Pro Plus 33 Switch which is expected to be available in limited quantities within a few weeks.

All the info is below, click the thumbnail for the full screen image.

Enjoy and thanks for being a SatelliteGuys member.
Scott..As a tech I really don't care if E* comes out with a switch that sings "God Bless America" in the voice of Kate Smith..The bottom line is if E* doesn't let us use the thing(as with the DPP 44) it's a useless piece of crap.....Sorry I come across as being testy..But we have been getting D-1000 upgrades, Hi def reciever add ons and other similar jobs that Dish pays like a service call yet we sometimes have to go as far as re doing the entire install becuase Dish will not allow the use of a DPP 44 where there are not 4 orbital slots..Under those circumstances we must run new cables to the dual tuner location becuase the use of seperators is not possible w/o the 44 switch. Problems are: slab built houses..Or homes with structured wiring panels located in inaccessable areas in the interior of the house that have too few service lines to the D-Mark..
Dish will however grant use of the switch if A) The customer threatens to cancel their account and winback puts the switch on the w/o or. B)If the customer pays $199 for the DPP 44....
anyway, the story n the DPP 33 is the business rules that E* sets up..If they allow us to use it, great..If they don't..Oh well...

Neutron said:
Oops, I must have said the wrong dish. I have the one that points to 110, 119, and 129.
The LNB is NOT built in..It can be easily replaced with a DP Twin..
Please move away from the ledge....Just kidding..
All kidding aside..Your safe..The DPP LNB you now have can be replaced with a DP Twin if you were to use this new switch

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
Sorry to rehash that "can of worms" but can you direct me to a link where you guys talked about it? I seemed to have missed it. I promise not to talk about it here. :D

And if this switch is incompatible with 1000.2, then that raises suspicion on what LNBFs they're using for that DISH. I mean, if you put in a DP Twin and DP Dual for the Dish1000, you can certainly use this DPP33 switch. I don't see why you can't with the Dish1000.2 if you can also use a DP Twin and DP Dual for the LNBFs there.
The ".2"..LNB assenmbly is a one piece unit....the LNB"s are not individually replaceable

One has to wonder if you could chain a DPP44 and a DPP33 together to get 6 satellites? I do not have a DPP33 to test or I would test it, I have tested the DP21 and the DPP44 to get 5 satellites.

dishcomm said:
Scott..As a tech I really don't care if E* comes out with a switch that sings "God Bless America" in the voice of Kate Smith..The bottom line is if E* doesn't let us use the thing(as with the DPP 44) it's a useless piece of crap.....Sorry I come across as being testy..But we have been getting D-1000 upgrades, Hi def reciever add ons and other similar jobs that Dish pays like a service call yet we sometimes have to go as far as re doing the entire install becuase Dish will not allow the use of a DPP 44 where there are not 4 orbital slots..Under those circumstances we must run new cables to the dual tuner location becuase the use of seperators is not possible w/o the 44 switch. Problems are: slab built houses..Or homes with structured wiring panels located in inaccessable areas in the interior of the house that have too few service lines to the D-Mark..
Dish will however grant use of the switch if A) The customer threatens to cancel their account and winback puts the switch on the w/o or. B)If the customer pays $199 for the DPP 44....
anyway, the story n the DPP 33 is the business rules that E* sets up..If they allow us to use it, great..If they don't..Oh well...

Good post!!!!! I whole-heartedly agree...!! :clap

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)