First Look: DishPro Plus 33 Switch

What is the adv of the DPP33 vs. the DPP44? Is it cheaper since only does 3 vs. 4 sats?

Yes. This will allow us to be able to do single line installations for 3 and 4 installations (3 receivers 4 rooms) without having to resort to a costly 44 switch. At present time we are only allowed to use them for installations requiring 4 sat locations or if the customer purchases them. Most LSCs are doing this now because of the cost of the 44 switches.

It is named a Dish Pro Plus 33 Switch

But it is not compatible with Dish Pro Plus LNBFs?

???????

Are the guys who name this stuff on drugs?

No, they are absolutly correct. You REALLY don't want to cascade switches if you don't absolutly have to. For example, using a DPP twin with a 44 switch technically works, but it's not reccomended because the twin has a built in switch and it is cascaded into the 44 switch. The same with using a DP twin into a 34 switch. This can cause nasty little intermittent problems that are very hard to track down. Plus it can drastically shorten the life of the twin, the 44 or both. It's always best to use duals with external switches.

E* has been installing DPP Twins as part of the standard HD install for some time now. Now the DPP33 switch comes along and it is incompatible with them.

What's the big deal? When we come out to add one of those switches, we're sure not going to leave an incompatible piece of hardware in the system. We'll change out your DPP twin with DP Duals. Simple as that.

From an installer point of view its really no big deal to swap a DPP Twin with a DP twin. Its actually about a $12 cost savings to use a DP Twin instead of a DPP Twin.

We wouldn't change it out with a DP twin we would change it out with duals.

However with this new switch, It seems a bit half assed backwards....

#1 It should have been designed to work with a DPP Twin. I know its cheaper to use it without it, but being that the DPP44 works with a DPP twin LNB, and that in the case a customer is adding a receiver to an existing DPP setup we should be able to use this switch without having to swap LNB's

It isn't a matter of cost. We've learned from our experience with the DPP44 switch and DPP twins. We've had far too many blown switches and twins. We're just trying to decrease the amount of technical problems the customer has.

#2 The fact it has no cascading ports like the DP34 and DPP34 is stupid.

It may be. Although I'm thinking this is just designed to be a cheap way to add DPP capability.

#3 Why not make a DPP34 switch instead and release it as a replacement for the DP34,

Good question.

As far as this switch not working with the new DISH1000.2 its no big deal since this switch is basically doing the same thing with 3 satellites and 3 receivers using DPP technology.

The reason it's not compatible with the 1000.2 is because the 1000.2 has essentially a DPP 43 switch built in. If you had a 4th sat location added into the 1000.2 input, there are not enough ports on the switch to accomadate all 4 locations. Plus, why would you do that anyway? You would end up with no net gain. The 1000.2 has 3 outputs. All 3 would be needed to connect to the 33 switch. You would still be left with 3 outputs.

Hopefully this switch will provide an easy solution for customers with an existing DP34 who want to upgrade to a Dual Tuner receiver without having to run new cables.

I think that's the idea of this one.

DISH has been working on the DPP33 switch for about a year. Don't expect it to come out until sometime in the first quarter of 2007. The built-in switch that is in the 1000.2 feed works well.

Let's clear up the 1000 or the superdish and adding a switch issue.

If you have a 1000 and want to add a switch you must replace the lnb with legacy dual lnbs at the dish. You can not put a switch on a switch. So the 1000 comes with one dual and one dpplus twin. the twin has a built in switch so this confuses a second switch you may wish to add. by putting single duals on each of the brackets you are separating the 110 119 and hd signal then sending each signal to the switch. The switch will combine the signals to provide programming to the receivers.

It doesnt matter which switch new 33 or otherwiswe. This is the setup for any switched scenario.

If you have a 1000 and want to add a switch you must replace the lnb with legacy dual lnbs at the dish. You can not put a switch on a switch. So the 1000 comes with one dual and one dpplus twin. the twin has a built in switch so this confuses a second switch you may wish to add. by putting single duals on each of the brackets you are separating the 110 119 and hd signal then sending each signal to the switch. The switch will combine the signals to provide programming to the receivers.

It doesnt matter which switch new 33 or otherwiswe. This is the setup for any switched scenario.

That is just plain wrong.

Legacy LNBs are NOT compatable with DP34, DPP44, or DPP33. Must be DishPro.

You MAY use a DPP Twin with a DPP44, the LNB switch becomes disabled. Not reccomended, but is doable and sanctioned by Echostar. Using all DP Duals is reccomended. You CANNOT use a DP Twin in any installation that has a DPP44.

You CANNOT use a DPP Twin with any installation that has a DP34 or a DPP33 switch. In this case you MUST use DishPro. Using all DP Duals is reccomended. Using DP Twin is acceptable, once again the LNB switch becomes disabled.

Hate to have to contradict, but let's get it right, okay?

Last edited:
... You CANNOT use a DP Twin in any installation that has a DPP44.

You CANNOT use a DPP Twin with any installation that has a DP34 or a DPP33 switch. ..
The DPP documentation I have shows those configurations as being compatible. Other than the obvious legacy no-no, they don't mention any incompatibilities with the DPP44 or the DPP Twin and any other DP or DPP equipment.

Have these documents been revised? I downloaded them from Solid Signal's site a while back, but if they're no longer accurate, I'd like to know.

The DPP documentation I have shows those configurations as being compatible. Other than the obvious legacy no-no, they don't mention any incompatibilities with the DPP44 or the DPP Twin and any other DP or DPP equipment.

Have these documents been revised? I downloaded them from Solid Signal's site a while back, but if they're no longer accurate, I'd like to know.

Yes, the 1st part referencing the DP Twin/DPP44 combo made me think as well. I don't have any of the documentation with me (too damn cold to go out to the garage/workshop or my work truck...LOL!), but if memory serves, that combo is sanctioned by Dish. The DPP Twin/DP34 combo is the one that's a gray area. Some people report success. Initial documentation I saw said it was a no-no.

No they have not been revised. You are correct that using a Dish Pro Twin with a DPP44 is shown as being okay, and as long as your none of your receivers are DPPlus dual-tuners, this is true. Using a DP Twin with a DPP44 and DPPlus receivers will cause problems, but I don't recall exactly where that is stated. I'll try to find that info.

DPPlus Twin is never compatable with a DP34. This info is on pg. 7 of the Dish 1000 installation guide. DPPlus Twin is also not compatable with DPP33, info is with DPP33 instructions.

Reality is that it's best to use all Dual LNBFs with any switch.

Wait a minute..The D-1000 kit includes a DPP twin.This LNB has a input for the 129 sat....With this config is it is possible to install up to two dual tuner receivers or one dual and one single(301 etc) with no switch..If a dp34 is used then the Dp twin can be used...

I didn't read the entire thread. However the way that the DPP34 switch would work would be for 4 dual tuners or 4 single turners and any combination inbetween. It's designed for dish 500 and ideally for the dish 1000. The three feeds from the two lnbf's on the dish. The DISH 1000.2 has four sat locations 119, 110, 129 or 61.5 and which ever sat location is needed for HD locals. At that point for the DISH 1000.2 would need the DPP44.

I didn't read the entire thread. However the way that the DPP34 switch would work would be for 4 dual tuners or 4 single turners and any combination inbetween. It's designed for dish 500 and ideally for the dish 1000. The three feeds from the two lnbf's on the dish. The DISH 1000.2 has four sat locations 119, 110, 129 or 61.5 and which ever sat location is needed for HD locals. At that point for the DISH 1000.2 would need the DPP44.
Actrually the Dsih1000.2 looks at THREE orbital slots(110,119,129). THe DISH 1000 PLUS is a 4 orb slot antenna....The DPP 33's design,according to what I have read, is for 3 sat applications where dual tuner receivers are used..Curreently 3 sat applications are NOT eligible for a reimbursed dpp 44 switch..Therefore the customer must pay for the switch if one is needed..Examples are when wiring would be so difficult that it would be unreasonable to try to wire the home for the second tuner at each dual tuner location...The use of a the dpp 33 would resolve this issue..
I have seen conflicting info as to whether the 1000.2 lnb's are Dish Pro(as are the 500 plus and 1000 plus) or Dish Pro Plus...If the 1000.2 is Dish Pro plus, then this discussion becomes moot.
It all comes down to if and when E* releases the DPP 33....

DPPlus Twin is never compatable with a DP34. This info is on pg. 7 of the Dish 1000 installation guide.
Sorry, I don't have Page 7.

However.... http://www.solidsignal.tv/dishnetwo...allation_Considerations-DP_Plus_Twin_LNBF.pdf
Page 2 says the DPP Twin is compatible with the DP34, provided you either; (1) have 2 constantly powered receivers connected to the DP34; or (2) use a DPP44 Power Inserter. This is so that the DPP Twin and DP34 will have enough power.

Sorry, I don't have Page 7.

However.... http://www.solidsignal.tv/dishnetwo...allation_Considerations-DP_Plus_Twin_LNBF.pdf
Page 2 says the DPP Twin is compatible with the DP34, provided you either; (1) have 2 constantly powered receivers connected to the DP34; or (2) use a DPP44 Power Inserter. This is so that the DPP Twin and DP34 will have enough power.
Using a DPP twin with a DP 34 serves no purpose..The DPP twin provides the stacking that allows one cable to a seperator to a dual tuner receiver..The DP 34 would remove this capabililty

Actrually the Dsih1000.2 looks at THREE orbital slots(110,119,129). THe DISH 1000 PLUS is a 4 orb slot antenna....The DPP 33's design,according to what I have read, is for 3 sat applications where dual tuner receivers are used..Curreently 3 sat applications are NOT eligible for a reimbursed dpp 44 switch..Therefore the customer must pay for the switch if one is needed..Examples are when wiring would be so difficult that it would be unreasonable to try to wire the home for the second tuner at each dual tuner location...The use of a the dpp 33 would resolve this issue..
I have seen conflicting info as to whether the 1000.2 lnb's are Dish Pro(as are the 500 plus and 1000 plus) or Dish Pro Plus...If the 1000.2 is Dish Pro plus, then this discussion becomes moot.It all comes down to if and when E* releases the DPP 33....

The 1000.2 LNB is Dis Pro Plus with 3 outputs and 1 input for a 4th Sat. I have installed several already and one with the 61.5 4th Sat. input being used for international prog.

i work in new jersey market, any ideas on when the DPP 33 SW. is coming out ??? i asked the guy in the warehouse he looked at me like i had 50 eyes.:D

we really need it cause of the chinese satellite company ETC or something merged with dish network and we are installing alot of 500 plus with 2 dual tuner reciever, and we dont have enought supply of DPP 44 SW in the warehouse cause it cost alot of money.

our other option is to install dish 500 with DPP Twin LNB and feed the 118.7 into the DPP LNB input, and run the dual line from there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)