First Look: The New Weather Channel Interactive

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
I guess you don't know that not everyone can get OTA weather subchannels? :confused: And even if you can, wouldn't you welcome it being available on TWC when you're looking at the beach or travel forecast on TWC that the local weather forecast sometimes doesn't even show? Or watch during hurricane alerts?

I know that, but I am can't make myself exicited about weather channel anymore. Maybe because of all that local stations abuse of weather related updates, like THUNDERSTORM WATCH, THUNDERSTORM IS COMING, IT CAN PRODUCE TORNADO, when there is no real threat around. And I am not against real severe weather alerts. I am just against this system abuse.

Scott,

Looks like dish finaly read my letter or realised that for some (like my family, esp my dad) that is what is keeping some folks from jumping into satellite.

So i will soon be jumping back on the satellite train! WOO HOO!!!!!!

That looks great! Finally a useful opentv application.

Not active yet, but I have an unrelated question. What's up with the stupid shark chasing the diver on Dish Home today?

Pepper said:
That looks great! Finally a useful opentv application.

Not active yet, but I have an unrelated question. What's up with the stupid shark chasing the diver on Dish Home today?
obviously the swimmer is a distant network sub...the shark is "Rupert Murdoch":p ;)

They should make it so you can set it to automaticaly give you the info rather than an icon/banner requiring you to press the select button. Until they do that cable is still better.

I beg to differ on that. There is times where one would only want to see the whole countrys weather instead of your local weather. (I meant w/o the annoying hosts). And w/ cable that does not give you that option. Now with this, you can either get your local info, or the info for the entire country, at least if I am understanding how this is going to work.

I think they are doing it that way to:

1) Give people a choice, if they want to see the national weather on the 8's then they can

2) To prevent complaints from people channel surfing and going past 214 getting an "application loading" screen

This way a icon appears on the screen and if you want interactive you press select and then its on.

To me that is the best way to do it.

jhamps10 said:
There is times where one would only want to see the whole countrys weather instead of your local weather.
I think people who want to see national weather are in the tiny minority.... Be realistic, unless there's a hurricane bearing down on the southern US, people in Chicago or New York or Seattle or elsewhere don't care what the weather is hundreds or thousands of miles away.

When someone tunes to TWC, they're looking for their weather.

Scott Greczkowski said:
2) To prevent complaints from people channel surfing and going past 214 getting an "application loading" screen
I'd like to see 1) an option to always enable it and 2) the ability to silently load the data in the background until it's ready. If Dish wants to use the ethernet port on the back for that, I'll gladly connect my receiver to my router !

The current weather setup with Dish is, in my opinion, close to worthless. In the time it takes to tune to the channel, then load the information, I can get it off of my PC in half the time. I showed my wife how to get our local weather, which I'd already configured, and I guarantee that she'll NEVER do it. She doesn't have the patience to hit the button sequence let alone "Please wait while we load this interactive application....".

hall said:
I think people who want to see national weather are in the tiny minority.... Be realistic, unless there's a hurricane bearing down on the southern US, people in Chicago or New York or Seattle or elsewhere don't care what the weather is hundreds or thousands of miles away.

When someone tunes to TWC, they're looking for their weather.

I agree, that this is a small minority, but this is really a good way to make everyone happy. I think that this is the easiest way to do it. BUT???? When you press the button on the local on the 8's, is it going to take 45 seconds to a minute to load??? of course only time will tell. Because if it takes 45 seconds to load, then it will go over the total local on the 8's timeframe, which would make some subs mad.

Read my post after the one you responded to. I think it's a decent "solution". Not sure what Dish has in mind, of course....

Now thats very cool I just wish that Directv would get their act together and provide something like this instead of that crappy Active Weather they have now.

The fact that users will be able to store up to 5 favorite cities, is a nice extra feature that Cable does not have.

E* catches up on Cable and goes the extra mile with 5 favorite cities.:hatsoff:

We have been requested by Dish Network to remove this first look from our public forums by Dish Network as it was sent to me by mistake. The PR person who sent it to me thought this new service had already launched, while it hasn't launched yet.

Therefore it will remain here until the new service is released. :)

It was an honest mistake, I emailed them looking for info, and the person on the other end thought the service already launched (it was supposed to launch on Wednesday) so they sent me everything they had on it.

Only to find out a few hours later (after I posted everything) that the service did not launch on Wednesday like it was supposed to.

I am trying to work with everyone at Dish last thing I want to do is get anyone in trouble. Which is why I took it out of public view. :)

This would be more exciting news if the Weather Channel had accurate forecasts. My local channels do a much better job at it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts