First Looks: The Verizon Motorola Droid

Well I confused. Just ordered (online) the Droid tonight with a carrying case. I think the case has a magnet in it. Come to my favorite webiste (yes satelliteguys) and see there could be a problem. I then call VZW to double check and possiblily cancel my case order. The CSR checks and says they haven't seen any tech bullentins, then ask to put me on hold to check with a tech rep. Comes back and says they can't find anything.

Well I hope there aren't any problems with my case. Should find out on Wednesday.

Shawn

Personally, the only phones I have seen to not experience any problems with magnetic holders are the blackberries.

Well I confused. Just ordered (online) the Droid tonight with a carrying case. I think the case has a magnet in it. Come to my favorite webiste (yes satelliteguys) and see there could be a problem. I then call VZW to double check and possiblily cancel my case order. The CSR checks and says they haven't seen any tech bullentins, then ask to put me on hold to check with a tech rep. Comes back and says they can't find anything.

Well I hope there aren't any problems with my case. Should find out on Wednesday.

Shawn

Well, if you look at the tech bulletin that stuart628 posted, it is in there, but to be honest, I decided that I am not exchanging my case over it. It has only happened twice. And the second you pull it out of the case, it goes back to normal. The magnet does not damage it, it triggers the multimedia dock sensor.

Thanks Rocky for the inforamation. I did read the link but thought I would see if VZW CSR would know anything about it. The case wasn't to bad of a price so if it does become a problem then I'm really not out that much.

Also thank stuart628 for posting the link.

No one knows the answer, but they are allowing google voice on 3G, and they are touting the fact that it is open-source, so I would be very surprised if they limited access to sling.

Need to have Scott press his contacts with Dish to see if they are working on a sling player for Android. :)

Can you actually make outgoing phone calls over the 3g with Google Voice? Meaning, not use any of your plan minutes?

Can you actually make outgoing phone calls over the 3g with Google Voice? Meaning, not use any of your plan minutes?

Well, I thought I could. On Sunday I called my son's phone using google voice. AND it showed up on his phone as my google voice number. And when I log in to my google voice account it shows up as a google voice call.

However, when I check my Verizon call history online, the phone call also shows up, although the number is listed as a Denver area code (rather than my son's 970 area code). It appears as it is 1 minute of voice time.

Hmm... it looks like google voice works, in that it changes the number that is making the call, but it also looks like Verizon is charging for the time. :rolleyes: Figures. Oh sure, it works... but we'll just charge you for the minutes.

Well that is frustrating. Anyone else with a droid and google voice want to try this?

Oh, and btw, thank god Verizon's 3G network is faster than their OWN website; it took forever to bring up my usage data.

What I plan on doing is getting rid of my home phone and setting up my GV# to output my own number when someone calls and it is forwarded to my cell so that in MyCircle it is a free call. I just want GV to be able to port my home number since I have had it 10 years and I would have to call all my CC, doctors, etc...etc... and have them change it if I don't port it.

Does anyone have the inside scoop on the HTC Dragon/Passion? I am planning to wait till they are released and compare them to the Motorola Droid.

check out dock runner on the market place! It makes your phone think it is in the media dock, so if you dont want to you dont have to pay the 30 dollars for the dock! (droid only)

check out dock runner on the market place! It makes your phone think it is in the media dock, so if you dont want to you dont have to pay the 30 dollars for the dock! (droid only)

Sweet - as the dock looks really cool from the three or four times I accidentally activated it with my magnetic case. :)

I installed Dock Runner. It is neat, in that it lets you run that mode, which is pretty decent, but it doesn't have an easy off function. You need to go to the HOME button and then reload the app to disengage the "dock." Still not bad. :)

I installed Dock Runner. It is neat, in that it lets you run that mode, which is pretty decent, but it doesn't have an easy off function. You need to go to the HOME button and then reload the app to disengage the "dock." Still not bad. :)

I saw that, there has to be a easier way...if I hear of an update i will let you know

I saw that, there has to be a easier way...if I hear of an update i will let you know

Thanks.

The apps that are on marketplace that I installed notify me if there is an update (which is pretty nice actually).

I still want to go get the real dock.

Idea I did for the magnet case issue-

I took a razor and extracted the magnet then sealed up the slice with crazy glue. Then crazy glued on a velcro spot in it's place. On my phone (not the droid) the magnet activates the screen and runs the battery down!

Idea I did for the magnet case issue-

I took a razor and extracted the magnet then sealed up the slice with crazy glue. Then crazy glued on a velcro spot in it's place. On my phone (not the droid) the magnet activates the screen and runs the battery down!

Creative!

Humor for the day: xkcd - A webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language - By Randall Munroe

iphone_or_droid.png

Although it is unclear to me if iphone actually wins on speed; certainly not on 3G issues.

One week in, and I can't say enough about the Droid. Best darn phone/hand-held multimedia device I have ever owned. Hands-down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)