First Looks: The Verizon Motorola Droid

Mike I totally agree with you, I find myself using this phone more and more everyday, and I cant say enough about the gps program...also if they can get the I am t pain app my life would be complete :)

Lets start seeing some Droid speedtest.net results so we can see how great the Verizon 3G network is.

okay so just an example, today we were working at our property and we needed to know which way was east, whch a argument insued as the electrician thought he was right, and I knew I was right...anyways pulled out the compass app on my phone and guess what I was right twice.

iphone_or_droid.png

xkcd - A webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language - By Randall Munroe

Lets start seeing some Droid speedtest.net results so we can see how great the Verizon 3G network is.

I forgot where I saw you ask this but here is the Mobile Speed test results for my htc tp2 on verizon:
I won't vouch for the accuracy, it just is what it is: ( IMO speedtests using different servers are all inaccurate anyway. You can fool most of them most of the time. Even this one is designed to show T-Mobile better than the rest. Go figure???

Your speed is faster than the average for your ISP!

The average speed for your ISP (Verizon wireless) is 585.9 kbps. Your speed is 679 kbps.

How fast are the other carriers?

Sprint average speed: 640.36 kbps

Verizon average speed: 585.9 kbps

AT&T average speed: 578.06 kbps

T-Mobile average speed: 1590.56 kbps

Alltel average speed: 1235.57 kbps

Metro PCS average speed: 683.04 kbps

What I did see is this is about what I average here for sling player's report on the phone. Sling player has a setting to display the bit rate received.

Someone asked the question about Verizon restricting sling player on the droid to just wifi. (Back on page 3) I doubt they will do this. First of all this was an ATT / iphone policy, not the other carriers. I have been using sling player with verizon EVDO network since they first came out with the sling player mobile. I don't see them restricting it just for one phone, the Droid. If there were restrictions, it would have to be from sling due to programming issues for an Android OS. They had like issues for Blackberry too but finally got around it on the BBs with touch screens. Droid does not have restrictions on touch screen like the older BB's did.

Don, the link in your post to mobile speed test, brought up a Malware warning on my machine.

Warning: Visiting this site may harm your computer!
The website at Mobile Speed test contains elements from the site devi56.co.cc, which appears to host malware – software that can hurt your computer or otherwise operate without your consent. Just visiting a site that contains malware can infect your computer.
For detailed information about the problems with these elements, visit the Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page for devi56.co.cc.

Just a heads up.

Interesting??? I'll do a search for it. Didn't show up on Mcafee or AVG. Thanks.

Here is speedtest.net:

I'm still having problems with the Flash application on the Opera browser on the htc TP2. Not all the site is displayed but I did manage to get this link.

How is the flash support on your Droid? Nobody said anything yet about that. How about java?

Interesting??? I'll do a search for it. Didn't show up on Mcafee or AVG. Thanks.

Here is speedtest.net:

I'm still having problems with the Flash application on the Opera browser on the htc TP2. Not all the site is displayed but I did manage to get this link.

How is the flash support on your Droid? Nobody said anything yet about that. How about java?

flash is a update coming in early part of next year, java..i dont know and really dont care :)

With the XV6800, I had to load a special version of Flash and it worked on an older version of Opera for windows 6.1. Now with the TP2, It comes with a newer version of Opera and Flash didn't work but I found a beta ( buggy) version of Flash. Most of the Flash content of speedtest.net works except the text overlay on the US map.

These are the kinds of setbacks that I hate with upgrading my cell phone. The second worst thing I hate is that support people all act stupid and give you that blank stare, then tell you you are the only one in the world that has a problem. What really irritates me with this second part is these support people really do know and are instructed to deny any problems exist. The worst ones I have experienced are Apple employees.

Here is speedtest.net using tethering from my htc TP2 to my Dell XPS M1210

Nice to have full Flash running so I can see what is going on with the website.

I'm making this post running tethering with a USB cable and it is running fine!

Last edited:
I uninstalled it to see if it makes a difference, haven't noticed any. But I didn't notice it being slow either.

I just got the Multimedia Dock. Ordered it from the Verizon Store on Thursday and it arrived today (they shipped it FedEx for free). So far, I like it. The dock is very solid. Comes with another power plug, and the Droid sits into the dock very easily. I will play with it tonight and report back.

While it is a "multimedia dock" providing easy access to music and photos, really it is mostly just a nice place to rest the device when it is charging. I guess it could be the dock to connect to a computer, via the usb port on the back; will have to play with it.

I am still loving this device.

Well this dock is interesting. When in it, the screen stays on unless you hit the power button -- although there is a dimmed mode. It obviously is thought of as some sort of an alarm clock like device, but I am wondering is it a good thing for the screen to be on all the time?

If the screen is off, the camera button will serve to turn the screen back on again.

Some good news on the camera front... Rumor on several forums is that Verizon quietly pushed a fix down for the focus issues last night. Seems the rumors may be true as the barcode app is working much faster for me now. Literally takes 1 - 3s now to scan one, vs 5 - 10s with moving in and out trying to find the sweet spot before.

-Mike

Some good news on the camera front... Rumor on several forums is that Verizon quietly pushed a fix down for the focus issues last night. Seems the rumors may be true as the barcode app is working much faster for me now. Literally takes 1 - 3s now to scan one, vs 5 - 10s with moving in and out trying to find the sweet spot before.

-Mike

Cool. I will try that today.

This update must have been incognito, as it did not appear in the updates notification.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts