First OTA user requesting help

Sweetp413

Original poster
Dec 16, 2019
Northampton Ma
Would appreciate help picking an OTA antenna for the listed TVfool location at 30-50 ft AGL installation. I have included the grid for both 30ft AGL & 50ft AGL. I am interested in an amplified UHF/VHF-HIGH outdoor mount. Not sure if an outdoor mount with rotor would be a wise decision In the Northeast (I would question mechanism freezing possibilities). I Would consider an attic mount as well. Was also wondering which Coax cable would be best (? RG6). My DirecTV (no longer using) is roof mounted facing Northwesterly, and is frequently subjected to high winds from the north. My Southern view is somewhat blocked by mountains, and a very large tree in my yard. My Southeasterly view is wide open as is my Northerly view.

Thanks for any input

At 30 ft AGL

Radar-All.png

At 50ft AGL

Radar-All.png

Would appreciate help picking an OTA antenna for the listed TVfool location at 30-50 ft AGL installation. I have included the grid for both 30ft AGL & 50ft AGL. I am interested in an amplified UHF/VHF-HIGH outdoor mount. Not sure if an outdoor mount with rotor would be a wise decision In the Northeast (I would question mechanism freezing possibilities). I Would consider an attic mount as well. Was also wondering which Coax cable would be best (? RG6). My DirecTV (no longer using) is roof mounted facing Northwesterly, and is frequently subjected to high winds from the north. My Southern view is somewhat blocked by mountains, and a very large tree in my yard. My Southeasterly view is wide open as is my Northerly view.

Thanks for any input

At 30 ft AGL

Radar-All.png

At 50ft AGL

Radar-All.png

Welcome to Satellite Guys Sweetp413! You might try runnng a report at RabbitEars.Info since I believe TV Fool is no longer updated regulary. Rabbit Ears will show results for both pre and post repack with updated station specs.

Personally I am using separate antennas for VHF-HIGH & UHF with an RCA mast mounted pre-amp.

Amazon product ASIN B003P92D9Y
I can highly recommend them. My reception is all two-edge at 41 and 57 miles away. Except for some occasional break up on the weakest channel everything is rock solid. You could also use a single antenna that covers everything but I can't recommend anything for that. You should use high quality RG6 (solid copper core not copper clad). An attic mount is possible but keep in mind you will lose quite a bit of signal by doing so. If the signals are marginal to begin with you could lose some channels entirely that you would get with an outdoor set up. As far as a rotor, yes they can sometimes freeze up in the winter. I used one in the past but only had it happen once though. Another option would be to put up several antennas facing in different directions and feed them to a coax switch to select which you want to view. :)

Reactions: comfortably_numb

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)