first post...looking for some help.

suthurnrocker

Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
central kentucky
Hello y'all. I just recently had my direct tv turned off and am trying to get some ota info. When I lived back in the mountains we had an antenna at the top of the hill with track line all the way down to the house. So I ain't a stranger to this, but am way out of practice and knowledge. I have an antenna on top of my house that was here when I moved here in 2001. There's a line that has been hanging down from that antenna that I never took down...never know when you'll need it right? I ran the coax into the house to the back of this Craig converter box then to my TV. I did a channel scan and it found 11 channels. I can get 4 of them but the signal is pretty weak. It was at 60 yesterday on one of the channels and 70 on another. I have no desire to get on the house and would just like to get the locals so I can watch NASCAR and NFL football. We used to use boosters when I was a kid. Do they still make them and would it boost my signal at all? What about the Craig converter box? I got it with one of the Gov't coupons. Do these things affect signal? Sorry for the long post. Just trying to get things straight. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can try a booster but make sure it is a low noise amplifier. You might be better off going on the roof and checking to ensure all the connections are tight and correct and not corroded. You also want to make sure you have the right kind of antenna (generally speaking UHF) for the stations you want to receive. Go to antennafool.com or antennaweb.org and put in your address and see what comes up then report back here with your findings.

locals

have dish now...no locals for a year and direct tv has not given me any options for locals. i live in a seriously wooded, mountain area a bit north of charlottesville, VA, and have had no luck with them.

I need options for antennas to receive locals. How high, how far from the trees? Can someone put an antenna in a tree around my house? Or in the pasture without compromising the signal quality? It is a pain in the neck to not be able to see college football games VA tech vs Bama tonight, local channels. ..grrr. Money is really not factor at this point.

Anyone know of someone in my area to help me out?

suzi g

have dish now...no locals for a year and direct tv has not given me any options for locals. i live in a seriously wooded, mountain area a bit north of charlottesville, VA, and have had no luck with them.

I need options for antennas to receive locals. How high, how far from the trees? Can someone put an antenna in a tree around my house? Or in the pasture without compromising the signal quality? It is a pain in the neck to not be able to see college football games VA tech vs Bama tonight, local channels. ..grrr. Money is really not factor at this point.

Anyone know of someone in my area to help me out?

suzi g
Have you tried using one of the 3 websites above to check for any availability of channels and antenna recommendations? That is what you need to do 1st Suzi.

I need options for antennas to receive locals.
suzi g
suzikg,

You have plenty of HD signals in your area from Charlottesville, and possibly Richmond. I helped a friend with an antenna set-up in nearby Reva, and the results were better than expected. Go to www.tvfool.com and enter your information so we can see exactly what is acheivable from your particular location.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)