First real quick impression of EXOPC Slate --- EPIC FAIL

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
Ok, this isn't a review; it is just an initial impression from playing with an EXOPC Slate Tablet running Windows 7 at the Microsoft Store today. The tablet has a 11.6 inch screen, seems to weigh about the same as the ipad; and has a black case. I had some time to kill, so I decided to check it out.

(See http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/EXOPC-Slate/product/EC722AD1 for specs on the "slate")

First thing that struck me was that it took me a minute to even find the power button -- hidden on the bottom of the device; not on the side. Bizzare. the Slate powers up, and sure enough a Windows7 start sequence begins; like any other W7 machine, and probably took 20 seconds to boot. (Ok, not really any different from powering up an Android tablet from scratch - with a boot animation). Then I decided to play with it.

Mouse was on the screen. Touch of the finger and the mouse moved; the start button was large enough to use with the finger (which was good since there isn't a stylus), and so I load up Microsoft One Note 2010. It comes up fairly quickly. Looks like One Note.

I click on the note -- and no ability to enter text; no virtual keyboard; I had to futz with the software to find the command to turn on the keyboard. NOT IMPRESSED at all. Virtual keyboard was ok, but I was looking at it from the perspective of someone who uses a tablet every day, and this thing failed on so many levels it wasn't even funny. It was really nothing different from an older "Tablet PC" yet it was designed - I assume -to be a "slate" and used with the hands; if I have to hunt to figure out how to bring up a virtual keyboard (and not have it turn on automatically when entering a text entry area) well, Redmond, we have a problem.

At that point, rather than exploring it in greater depth, I decided that it was not worth the time of day; and I was wasting precious time I could be spending at Fry's, so I bailed. Now, maybe that slate wasn't configured properly; maybe if it had been actually booted, it would turn on more quickly; maybe I did not give it enough time, but I have played with an ipad, and a Galaxy Tab (before buying one) and a Dell Streak in the store, and all of them are far more responsive and intuitive.

But all I can say is from a first impression of a Windows Slate is summed up in two words: EPIC FAIL.

rockymtnhigh said:
Ok, this isn't a review; it is just an initial impression from playing with an EXOPC Slate Tablet running Windows 7 at the Microsoft Store today. The tablet has a 11.6 inch screen, seems to weigh about the same as the ipad; and has a black case. I had some time to kill, so I decided to check it out.

(See http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/EXOPC-Slate/product/EC722AD1 for specs on the "slate")

First thing that struck me was that it took me a minute to even find the power button -- hidden on the bottom of the device; not on the side. Bizzare. the Slate powers up, and sure enough a Windows7 start sequence begins; like any other W7 machine, and probably took 20 seconds to boot. (Ok, not really any different from powering up an Android tablet from scratch - with a boot animation). Then I decided to play with it.

Mouse was on the screen. Touch of the finger and the mouse moved; the start button was large enough to use with the finger (which was good since there isn't a stylus), and so I load up Microsoft One Note 2010. It comes up fairly quickly. Looks like One Note.

I click on the note -- and no ability to enter text; no virtual keyboard; I had to futz with the software to find the command to turn on the keyboard. NOT IMPRESSED at all. Virtual keyboard was ok, but I was looking at it from the perspective of someone who uses a tablet every day, and this thing failed on so many levels it wasn't even funny. It was really nothing different from an older "Tablet PC" yet it was designed - I assume -to be a "slate" and used with the hands; if I have to hunt to figure out how to bring up a virtual keyboard (and not have it turn on automatically when entering a text entry area) well, Redmond, we have a problem.

At that point, rather than exploring it in greater depth, I decided that it was not worth the time of day; and I was wasting precious time I could be spending at Fry's, so I bailed. Now, maybe that slate wasn't configured properly; maybe if it had been actually booted, it would turn on more quickly; maybe I did not give it enough time, but I have played with an ipad, and a Galaxy Tab (before buying one) and a Dell Streak in the store, and all of them are far more responsive and intuitive.

But all I can say is from a first impression of a Windows Slate is summed up in two words: EPIC FAIL.

I would agree. My iPad is just as nice. I don't need a USB port or SD slot. To me tablet are great for email, web surfing, movie and tv watching on the go and word/spreadsheet work. Things that need to be are long battery life. IPads last 8-10 hours with no issues.

Well my expectations regarding W7 mobile devices are being reinforced.

In a very small defense of the device- I would say most of your complaints fall in the category of first exposure learning curve. Many of these I had to deal with too on my first exposure to the ipad, where I needed to change my way of thinking from laptop to tablet on an Apple OS.

Many people don't know this but even the ipad takes a while to boot up from real power down. The reason they don't know this is because most people I know actually never power their ipads off. The battery in standby mode is said to have a 30 day time. If you hold the standby button down for 10 seconds, you will power the ipad down. I'm thinking that is what was happening with the windows 7 tablet you tested upon booting up.

Big Dawg 23. I use the USB port and the SD card with the iPAD all the time. For importing video and camera content as well as PDF files it works fine. I read a rumor that iPAD2 may have the USB mini port and SD card slot permanently added as opposed to the adapters I had to buy for iPAD1

Don Landis said:
In a very small defense of the device- I would say most of your complaints fall in the category of first exposure learning curve. Many of these I had to deal with too on my first exposure to the ipad, where I needed to change my way of thinking from laptop to tablet on an Apple OS.

Many people don't know this but even the ipad takes a while to boot up from real power down. The reason they don't know this is because most people I know actually never power their ipads off. The battery in standby mode is said to have a 30 day time. If you hold the standby button down for 10 seconds, you will power the ipad down. I'm thinking that is what was happening with the windows 7 tablet you tested upon booting up.

Big Dawg 23. I use the USB port and the SD card with the iPAD all the time. For importing video and camera content as well as PDF files it works fine. I read a rumor that iPAD2 may have the USB mini port and SD card slot permanently added as opposed to the adapters I had to buy for iPAD1

Don, the boot up did not make the primary reason, it was the lack of usability. I have extensive experience with windows tablet pc and this was exactly the same, but with no keyboard, and no stylus.

In a tablet environment, if you enter a text area a keyboard should automatically pop up. Particularly if it is a device that is to compete with the ipad and android tablets.

I stick by my claim - this thing is an epic fail.

Oh, and as far as the ipad initial boot-up, it sounds just like the bootup for the Tab; but with the EXOPC, the very presence of the the familiar W7 boot splash screen, screamed - "oh, my, this is just another windows machine..." But more importantly, the placement of the power button on the rear of the machine (there were no hardware buttons on the device other than that at all) did not scream out for a device that you could easily turn off and put to sleep. And then just pop back on. With an ipad or a tab, when it is "off" but not "booted down" you push one button and "POW" you are back in business.

I just think Microsoft has lost yet another opportunity. They may make a lot of money, and their desktop OS and Office Productivity software is very good, indeed, I think both W7 and Office 2010 are the very best of any they have designed; they seem to have lost their way. There is nothing interesting coming out of Redmond, and no creativity. Apple and Google have taken that from them. In many ways, it is just sad. They are becoming IBM, for all practical purposes.

Don, the boot up did not make the primary reason, it was the lack of usability. I have extensive experience with windows tablet pc and this was exactly the same, but with no keyboard, and no stylus.

In a tablet environment, if you enter a text area a keyboard should automatically pop up. Particularly if it is a device that is to compete with the ipad and android tablets.

I stick by my claim - this thing is an epic fail.

Thanks for the posting. You confirmed what I had figured out without ever seeing one, W7 is just the wrong OS for this use.

In defense of One Note (anyone who knows me will be shocked that I'm coming to the defense of Microsoft software!) it is designed to recognize handwriting as the primary means of text input. Also, most Windows tablets have a stylus tucked away in a holder somewhere on the tablet, but since I'm not familiar with this particular tablet, I couldn't say if it was there or not. A stylus for handwriting is a must for serious note taking.

Was it a capacitive touch-screen? I've not tried Windows on such a screen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts