First we lost CBS...now at 5pm today we lose NBC via Raycom

Brian Rowe

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2015
Alabama
I don't understand how this is acceptable to anyone. I've now been with Dish for about 16 months after leaving Directv for 21 years. I don't recall this happening at DTV but it could have. Apparently there is no end in sight to the Tribune dispute which means no football games etc here shortly. Now to make things worse, the day before the Olympics starts, Dish and Raycom are in a pissing battle. They happen to own the local NBC affiliate. Supposedly the deadline is 5pm tonight. I've read in 2013 their blackout lasted 9 days.

What's the point in paying for channels I don't want if I can't get the channels I actually want?

Here in New Orleans we lost the ABC and CW affiliates with the Tribune dispute and today at 5 pm we probably will lose the Fox affiliate. So that will be 3 out of the big 5 gone. :(

Maybe you should express your concerns to Raycom. Since every dispute has always allowed for the stations to stay on and be paid at whatever new deal they and Dish come to, the problem is Raycom, not Dish.

Sent from my samus using Tapatalk

I think expressing your concerns to the station groups is a good idea but I think many subs are reaching a breaking point because they lose network stations so often with DISH and do not see that with other providers. Whether you think DISH is at fault or not they may simply move on and/or take their dissatisfaction out on DISH.

Reactions: reddice
Yeah, I know. It is irritating, and like others I used to get all humped up about it too. But these days I'm so far behind with series recording that I'm finding it to be less of an issue to me personally.

I'll lose CBS and the CW here when Raycom turns them off. Fortunately there isn't really anything I actually care about playing on those stations at the moment. And I have emailed the station manager FWIW.

I don't understand how this is acceptable to anyone. I've now been with Dish for about 16 months after leaving Directv for 21 years. I don't recall this happening at DTV but it could have. Apparently there is no end in sight to the Tribune dispute which means no football games etc here shortly. Now to make things worse, the day before the Olympics starts, Dish and Raycom are in a pissing battle. They happen to own the local NBC affiliate. Supposedly the deadline is 5pm tonight. I've read in 2013 their blackout lasted 9 days.

What's the point in paying for channels I don't want if I can't get the channels I actually want?

Are you in the Huntsville market? I know WHNT is CBS and they're gone and WAFF is NBC and owned by Raycom. If you are in Huntsville, you'd better be glad Raycom hasn't taken over WAAY 31 yet. They are in the process of acquiring it through their shell corporation American Spirit Media.
BTW, you can always "move" to the Nashville market while all of this is sorted out. Or, if you don't care about losing FOX, you can "move" to the Birmingham market, just WBRC will be gone there in this dispute.

Dish gets the publicity about it, but it happens with all providers. Cox , ATT and Directv have all had the various Tulsa locals pulled at one time or another in the past 3 years and I lost a local on Cox in Las Vegas last year too. Fortunately I was only there for a couple days when it happened.

Blame the government for allowing all these station group mergers and acquisitions. A couple of station groups can own almost all the stations in smaller markets now.

Reactions: jamesjimcie
My philosophy is generally something akin to "fu** it"......
That is known as the short version of the serenity prayer in some circles....

Definitely a beautiful prayer. it is all right there.

pay your etf and come back to directv

i think about switching to dish quite often, then dishputes pop up and i dont

If dish could just get the OTA adapters in stock and the OTA recording issues resolved then this would be a non-issue for most people. I prefer to use OTA for my locals. The PQ is much better and it will save $10 per month now that they have the flex packs. Of course there must be guide data. Im sure they can get it for free or very low cost. Just look at titantv.com and zap2it.com.
Also we still want PrimeTime Anytime to work on OTA. And they need to add CW to PTAT...lol

Reactions: TheKrell
Are you in the Huntsville market? I know WHNT is CBS and they're gone and WAFF is NBC and owned by Raycom. If you are in Huntsville, you'd better be glad Raycom hasn't taken over WAAY 31 yet. They are in the process of acquiring it through their shell corporation American Spirit Media.
BTW, you can always "move" to the Nashville market while all of this is sorted out. Or, if you don't care about losing FOX, you can "move" to the Birmingham market, just WBRC will be gone there in this dispute.
I am in the Huntsville market. My family is pissed and wants me to go back to Directv. I bought an antenna today so at least we can watch the Olympics.

Maybe you should express your concerns to Raycom. Since every dispute has always allowed for the stations to stay on and be paid at whatever new deal they and Dish come to, the problem is Raycom, not Dish.

How long have you worked for Dish? Given I'm a customer of Dish, in my eyes it is a Dish problem and not Raycom. Dish is willing to interrupt programming that I'm paying for.

How long have you worked for Dish? Given I'm a customer of Dish, in my eyes it is a Dish problem and not Raycom. Dish is willing to interrupt programming that I'm paying for.

Here's the problem with that, the alternative is to pay whatever they ask. DISH just started a way to pay far less than anyone else is charging and some of that is possible because they don't just pay what is asked or overpay, and they negotiated getting channels in lower packages. No question it is annoying, There are ways around it especially when most locals disputes don't last long. It isn't good public relations.

No, Dish is not the willing decider in this. Dish would and has offered to pay whatever the new contract price is back to the day the old contract expired and keep the stations live. Raycom, and others, don't want to do that because in their greedy little minds is the idea that the subscriber will pressure Dish (or pick a cable/sat provider) into quicker agreements at higher prices.

You are free to think that Dish wants to shut the channels down, but that just isn't the case.

And no, I'm just like you, a Dish customer.

Welcome to Charlie Ergen's poker table( Dish)...
These people would start a battle with a pot of water, should that water not boil in just the precise manner expected.
I will be a Dish custy for 20 years this Feb.....The ONLY reasons I maintain this relationship are.....1 I have the superstation pack which gets me two stations out of New York that i grew up watching. One of which broadcasts 30 Mets games
Reason 2 is I have NEVER been under any type of contract with Dish. This gives me leverage. And while I am not one of these people that pick up the phone every time I fart to see if there is something I cvan get free of charge from Dish, I have had legitimate issues where THEY offered stuff to me....for example. I wanted to cancel HBO because we simply were not watching it enough to justify $20 per month. I pay 50% of that price forever.
They also added Showtime and I get that service for $5 per month. It was supposed to be good for 6 months. That was about a year ago..
Otherwise, I'd take a walk.

Reactions: AZ.

The problem is most certainly NOT one sided...
In every deal, the producer wants an increase. Dish wants to lowball......Its that simple

No, Dish is not the willing decider in this. Dish would and has offered to pay whatever the new contract price is back to the day the old contract expired and keep the stations live. Raycom, and others, don't want to do that because in their greedy little minds is the idea that the subscriber will pressure Dish (or pick a cable/sat provider) into quicker agreements at higher prices.

You are free to think that Dish wants to shut the channels down, but that just isn't the case.

And no, I'm just like you, a Dish customer.

It's not that I THINK they want to shut channels down. They HAVE shut channels down. It's just like my kids wanting to blame someone else when they do something wrong. Do you think the average consumer when they call Dish to complain about losing a channel is going to say "Oh yes mr customer service rep, you are right. I should be mad at the company that I don't pay instead of the company that promptly cashes my payments."

It's not that I THINK they want to shut channels down. They HAVE shut channels down. It's just like my kids wanting to blame someone else when they do something wrong. Do you think the average consumer when they call Dish to complain about losing a channel is going to say "Oh yes mr customer service rep, you are right. I should be mad at the company that I don't pay instead of the company that promptly cashes my payments."

Well now you are just wrong. DISH is prohibited from carrying the channels if Raycom or whoever says they can't when there is no contract. It isn't up to DISH, DISH has one choice, to pay what is being asked to keep the channels on. Raycom has two choices, pull the channels and tell DISH they can't carry them, or allow DISH to keep them on while they negotiate and DISH would likely pay whatever the new contract is for that time. That's facts. I don't blame Raycom or whoever for using that hammer, the Government gave them the right to do that. But blaming DISH for not just paying for whatever is being asked or over paying doesn't make sense. We don't know what goes on in the negotiations, keep in mind current ones often include things as we have found out we just don't know about.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)