First Windows Phone 7.5 “Mango” device goes on sale

Touch implementation on the iPad2 was the golden standard (for me) until two weeks ago when I started using the Asus Transformer and the Galaxy S II.
The former at least matches and the latter surpasses it, I think. In both, image and touch quality...

Diogen.

I haven't seen the Galaxy, but I still think the image quality on the iPad is very very good. I can't imagine what the retina display will be like on the 3.

I don't think many know MS had any past in this market...:)
It is mostly a case of getting people to try it, I believe (by "people" I don't mean those posting here).

Since there is a chance the religious zealotry to one of the leading platforms will subside,
MS has a chance for a comeback in the form of making more $$$ off of WP7 than Android...:)

Diogen.

I hardly think Apple is going to go into that good night just because Steve Jobs' days at the helm are coming to a close. Its not like they built their cult of mac based just on kool aid (or apple juice); remember, people actually LIKE the devices they make.

It will be interesting to see if Mango can gain some traction, but it will only happen if the carriers push it. As was pointed out in an earlier post, in this or another thread, Verizon is only selling, what, one, Windows phone?

Peole like their devices but Jobs was responsible fir may of them and was not shy about rejecting ideas he did not think would pan out. We have no idea what will replace him or whether he/she/it /they will have jobs' instinct.

It will be interesting to see if Mango can gain some traction, but it will only happen if the carriers push it. As was pointed out in an earlier post, in this or another thread, Verizon is only selling, what, one, Windows phone?

You are correct here. At cell south, it was like they didnt want you to buy the windows phone. The reps even told me that they are required to have android phones, and that is what they are pushing very heavily, which is obvious.

After I told her that it was what I wanted, and Ive had darn near every droid they offer, she started telling me things she likes about the one I got.

I hardly think Apple is going to go into that good night just because Steve Jobs' days at the helm are coming to a close.
Who said anything about go into that good night?
IMHO, we witness not the beginning of the end but the end of the beginning.
Hence, "will subside" not "will go down the drain"...

Diogen.

Last edited:

Apple putting the iphone on every carrier in the US will probably slow down Windows phone. Carriers that did not have the iphone pushed android to counter. Now Android and the iPhone will be everywhere, why will they push windows phones?

I do not think that windows 7 on the desktop has helped undo all the damage done by Vista and XP (XP seemed great when it started but was dragging bad since no one wanted vista). Now they say windows phone and I think it scares a lot of people away instead of attacting them. I think MS made a mistake calling it windows, they should have come up with a different name.

How about because Microsoft will pay them?
MS certainly knows how to do that...:)

Diogen.

Perhaps that will be the strategy... iPhone and Android cost $$ but windows phone is free from your carrier. That would get it adopted, but I bet there would be some anti trust issues.

How about because Microsoft will pay them?
MS certainly knows how to do that...:)

Diogen.

Perhaps, but I think mike's point about perception is a very good one. "Windows" phone?? Shudder.

Instead of calling it Mango, they could have called it Millenium. ;) :)

Perhaps, but I think mike's point about perception is a very good one. "Windows" phone?? Shudder.

Instead of calling it Mango, they could have called it Millenium. ;) :)

They should have tried to leverage Xbox. It is a very successful product for Microsoft, and has a good reputation (I think red ring of death is behind them). Similar to what Sony did, come up with some xbox game tie ins or something. The Xbox phone sounds much more exciting than Windows Phone...

They should have tried to leverage Xbox. It is a very successful product for Microsoft, and has a good reputation (I think red ring of death is behind them). Similar to what Sony did, come up with some xbox game tie ins or something. The Xbox phone sounds much more exciting than Windows Phone...

I disagree. Xbox phone sounds like a toy.
Honestly, the vast majority of smartphone users today dont have a clue about any past attempts in the market. Hell, many of them dont even know what a smartphone does that there old one didnt. They are buying what is advertised and what the carriers are pushing. That is apple and android.

Microsoft needs to step up its marketing of the OS, and they need to get better deals with the carriers to push the devices.

I disagree. Xbox phone sounds like a toy.
Honestly, the vast majority of smartphone users today dont have a clue about any past attempts in the market. Hell, many of them dont even know what a smartphone does that there old one didnt. They are buying what is advertised and what the carriers are pushing. That is apple and android.

Microsoft needs to step up its marketing of the OS, and they need to get better deals with the carriers to push the devices.

As long as they call them windows phones they will suffer with the following perception images:

* slow to boot

* blue screen of death

* virus and spy-ware/malware-laden

* did I say blue screen of death ??

* slow to shut-down

Like it or not, those are common Windows images; and even though Windows 7 is a solid operating system, it carries with it the same legacy. People might not know about WM6, or earlier, but they sure as heck know what a Blue Screen of Death is, and they associate it with.... Windows.

I don't think calling it the XBox phone would have worked, but they would probably be better calling it the Zune phone than Windows mobile.

See, I even disagree with most of that. I may associate that with some past windows desktop products, most of that wouldnt cross my mind when it came to a phone purchase.

I do think that zune would have been a good way to go though. It would have been different, and it already had a following on which to build.

See, I even disagree with most of that. I may associate that with some past windows desktop products, most of that wouldnt cross my mind when it came to a phone purchase.

I do think that zune would have been a good way to go though. It would have been different, and it already had a following on which to build.
:facepalm you were talking crap about windows mobile just last month!!!! now that you have one you're gonna defend it????!!!!!!! :eek::eek::no:yes

Of course you disagree, but I'll say it again... Blue. Screen. Of. Death. ;) :D :D

Of course you disagree, but I'll say it again... Blue. Screen. Of. Death. ;) :D :D

blue-screen-of-death-windows-phone7.jpg

:eek: ;) :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)