FLASH: No Name Based Recording on 921, 721, 501, 508, 510

Status
Please reply by conversation.
i hope value electronics/direct tv are running some good promos when my contract with the 811 ends. i really don't like the direction dish is heading. even though i don't have a pvr, i have been really close to buying one. even though NBR is not my most important reason for having one, it is one feature i think they should have and that would make it easier for my wife to work with. even though they say they are going to support it on future receivers, i can't really see giving them any more of my money.

it seems like to me that the 522 is just a beta version of what they plan to offer. i believe the 942 will - never mind, don't want to comment on it.

cost effective

I may be way off base here, but it seems to me that it would be more cost effective to upgrade old equipment that they most likely gave away, than encouraging customers to lease new equipment that may or may not last long enough to actually pay for the hardware. I have been a customer for 3 years and have had 5 different receivers, and the only one I paid anything for was my 721 I got for $199. And I still have a 508 and 510 that aren't being used for anything but taking up space. I think I'll stick to the 721 until I see what voom offers.

as far as I'm concerned the 921 I bought is useless now and into the future.
I can get a couple of local channels dtv that hardly broadcast anything worthwhile watching in hdtv, my cbs station is 48 miles away and transmitting 30kw???? so no christmas football game in HD, the closests fox station is broadcasting at 0.7KW??????(is that even legal) dish has no plans to add HD for another year and the current HD offering is worthless.
I went into this purchase knowing that the receiver was worthless but I liked the 2 tuners and the OTA tuner plus the DVR.

HD is in it's infancy, the networks,who should take the lead and broadcast hd programs 24/7 are not budging until the gov't forces them to move.

some of theese so called hd stations are broadcasting upconverted programs and they are giving hd a bad rap.

so this is what I have decided to do:
I will not buy another hd receiver until at least 50 percent of the channels on dish or whatever satellite/cable company are broadcast and filmed in true hd.

so I guess it'll be a long time.

Well... I had been holding out on finding out info to decide to switch to direct or not.... most of the programming I watch is on both services and I watch HD. I guess the only downside to switching will be that I have to shell out 900 for the HD tivo but I really want one.

im really upset at this announcement and have been berating the csr and tech support as soon as i read this today i have got 3 different answers
1st answer future software updates WILL include NBR for all dvrs
2nd answer NO NBR on all dvrs except 522 and yet to be released 942
3rd answer NO NBR on all 500 series dvrs MAYBE 721 921 in future
I sure hope if 1 is not correct at least 3 will be correct
then of course theres that whole mpeg4 thing, but thats another matter
The technology is improving in there boxes, but a dvr without nbr is just no better than a vcr.
What is going on here?
i would like to speculate that 25 percent of dishnets customer base has dvrs, lets say they have 12 million customers thats 3 mill with dvrs based on that figure i would assume that at least 1.5 mill of those people have the 500 series dvr and if there is no nbr to ever come to these units thats a huge slap in the face to a whole lot of people

Well I just sent this e-mail to ceo, Charlie, & Jim Defranco. It probably won't help, but I now feel better.

Mr. Ergen,

It has been reported that the 921 will not be receiving Name Based Recording (NBR). My problem, if this is true, is the way Dish treats its "high-end" customers.

The 921 is Dish's "flagship" receiver. Most of its users have AEP + HD pack (in addition to these, I also have the Multi-sport pack, additional receiver fee plus ESPN Gameplan and several PPVs per month). But the 921 is treated by Dish like a "red-headed step-child". The lowly 111 receiver has better software (Open TV). As the flagship, the 921 should have every bell & whistle available to any other receiver on the market.

There have been several features announced for the 921 which have not been implemented.

I did not have a problem with the firewire port not being active. I wasn't planning on archiving.

I did not have a problem with the 921 price drop, that happens in electronics (even though an almost 50% drop hurts my feelings).

I do have a major problem with having to subscribe to locals to get guide data when I can get my HD locals OTA. This gives the appearance of just extracting an additional fee from "high-end" customers when DirecTv & Tivo provide this service for free.

I do have a major problem not getting NBR. This feature would eliminate the main attraction of Dish Network subscribers jumping to the DirecTv HD Tivo.

This whole ordeal is leaving a very bad taste in my mouth. I understand Dish needing to add new subscribers, but it will take 6 or more new subscribers to at AT60 to equal what I pay if/when I head out the door.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

The second answer is correct, both myself and Mark Lamutt from DBSTalk have this confirmed now.

I am upset about this. I have a $1000 satellite receiver that cant do half of what a receiver users get for FREE (on lease) can do!

Whats wrong with this picture?

I can only make so much noise, if you guys are upset YOU need to make noise as well.

I think E* fate with me is sealed now, and I don't even have a DVR. This is no way to treat your customers.

Looks like a HD Tivo is coming next year for me. Robert from VE - expect a call in Feb :)

n0qcu said:
I think the key words that Scott quoted are: "AT THIS TIME" that doesn't rule out the future.
"AT THIS TIME" is marketing speak for "NEVER". It's just easier to say and not as negative, although it means the same thing.

cdru said:
"AT THIS TIME" is marketing speak for "NEVER". It's just easier to say and not as negative, although it means the same thing.
Hey, I was just trying to give them a chance to wise up, change thier mind and say it would be coming to 921.

Its unfortunate that Dish Network treats its loyal customers this way.

No one forced them to go on the tech chat and announce that NBR was coming to ALL DVR's, they went on TV and did it on their own.

Its also unfortune that if we want them to listen we must yell at them, sending them email may or may not work, it is easy for them to delete messages they don't want to answer. (Which just shows how much they value you as a customer)

I suggest that perhaps its time we get the press involved.

I urge everyone to email mhopkins@mediabiz.com who is the editor of SkyReport. In your email to Michael Hopkins tell him why your upset, give facts and figures and tell him why you are upset, also tell him you are a SatelliteGuys or DBSTalk member.

Let's get the PRESS alerted to whats going on here.

We have the voices when we use them all together then listen to how loud we can yell. :)

Has anyone heard a reason WHY name based recording won't come to any other receiver? I have a hard time believing that it's a processor/memory issue...

Is it any wonder why they didn't mention NBR on Monday's CC? Oh, maybe it was because they were going to piss off many of their customers and didn't want to have to face callers.

From what I know its because they want you to UPGRADE to one of their new receivers. And from what I am hearing you will only be able to lease a new receiver not but one.

While the 921 is not dead yet it is on life support, the plan is to do a few more upgrades and bug fixes. After that its future is unknown. It looks like we will be getting 921 updates for at least the next 8 or 9 months.

Again please write to Mr Hopkins from SkyReport, its time to tell Dish Network enough is enough. And if Dish wont listen to us, maybe they will listen when the press starts reporting on whats going on.

Scott Greczkowski said:
From what I know its because they want you to UPGRADE to one of their new receivers. And from what I am hearing you will only be able to lease a new receiver not but one.
Lease. Buy. I don't care. But the fact is that I, as an existing sub not on DHP/DHA plans CAN'T lease ANY receiver. Let existing subs lease the 522 and maybe Dish won't have a wave of long-time loyal supporters....or maybe not.

Exactly. If they are sending out a message that they a moving forward on their receivers, let their existing customers lease them.

I love the leasing system and I would never buy any equipment that only works with a certain company. With dish network it's even better, because leasing is actually free anyways and is not costing you anymore than what the owners are paying. I'm glad I don't have to worry about the issues the people that paid for that junk are stuck with...

522 nbr

I Say Let All Threaten Them With A Lawsuit And Sue The Pants Off Of Them :mad: ,how Can They Do That To Someone Who Pays AlOT Of Money For A 921 Only To Be Shafted In The Rear End :shocked .....BY CHARLIE AND HIS BOONCOON GROUP OF GOOFY PARTNERS.... :no

OH WELL I FEEL BETTER NOW.............................. :D

i can atleast enjoy it on my 522...till it craps out....(fingers crossed) :smug

Scott Greczkowski said:
Its unfortunate that Dish Network treats its loyal customers this way.

No one forced them to go on the tech chat and announce that NBR was coming to ALL DVR's, they went on TV and did it on their own.

Its also unfortune that if we want them to listen we must yell at them, sending them email may or may not work, it is easy for them to delete messages they don't want to answer. (Which just shows how much they value you as a customer)

I suggest that perhaps its time we get the press involved.

I urge everyone to email mhopkins@mediabiz.com who is the editor of SkyReport. In your email to Michael Hopkins tell him why your upset, give facts and figures and tell him why you are upset, also tell him you are a SatelliteGuys or DBSTalk member.

Let's get the PRESS alerted to whats going on here.

We have the voices when we use them all together then listen to how loud we can yell. :)

done

I just sent this to Charlie

Dear Mr Ergen,

Why do you lead your customers on with false and misleading statements? Earlier this year you said that name base recording would be available on all of the DVRs that Dish has active, yesterday, you scaled that back to just one receiver that you provide as a lease. Think about it, your most loyal customers are the ones like me that invested with our cash up front, I own a 721, prior to that I owned a 501 (which I sold to my niece and gained US a new customer), prior to that I owned a 4900. All of the lease customers could leave on short notice and not be out any money that they invested. Speaking of investing, I've been a stockholder for years, but I'm considering liquidating all my echostar shares over this last broken promise.

Please give me some reason to stay with Dish, both as a customer and a shareholder.

Sincerly,

Gordon V. Martin
Aloha, Oregon

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)