FLASH: No Name Based Recording on 921, 721, 501, 508, 510

Status
Please reply by conversation.
This may be the last straw with me and E*. Hell....I can't even get a referal to work out because E* F*cked up that with 2 friends of mine making me look like an idiot. Charlie does not care about us now...he is a billiionare because of you and me.

Just got this from Marc Lumpkin of Echostar

Hi Scott, yes, we plan to implement name-based recording on new DVRs going forward and will include that software feature with the 522 DVR. We will have several new DVR models available in 2005. Stay tuned for more info on those.

To which I have replied back...

What about the older models, 921, 721 and 50x series? These were all mentioned on the Tech Chat in March as getting this feature. Does this mean those plans have been dropped?

Thanks

Scott

I will post any reply I get when I get it.

I just got this back from Marc Lumpkin

The focus is on the new models going forward.

My question to him was...
What about the older models, 921, 721 and 50x series? These were all mentioned on the Tech Chat in March as getting this feature. Does this mean those plans have been dropped?

Thanks

Scott

I'm thinking of selling my new 921. Any takers?

:crickets chirp:

Serious, any takers?

I'll trade you a crap 811, lol. This company has no respect for customers.

isn't it odd that nobody has seen any of the supposed new dvrs except the 942 that E* refuses to admit exist. Theonly up side to this if all the new dvrs would be mpeg4 compliant and lease for free!! I have already fired off my email to Mr. Ergen....

Chas said in the last chat the 942 will be shown at CES this January, with it being available this spring. He also said it will be priced higher than the current $549 921 HD-DVR.

Anyone hear if it will be MPEG4 capable?

The 942 is not supposed to be mpeg4 compliant from what I have read and heard from others. Unless they decide to hold the this receiver up till mpeg4 is available. From what Charlie said this week they will have an explosion of hd channels this time next year. I do believe this receiver will be lease only. I also believe this is a ploy to get everyone to move to the lease deal. What about people like me that want up to 4 dvrs like I do now? No, I don't want one common hard drive to share with another tv. Currently they won't let you lease more than 2 receivers on my account upgrade - dish n up promo page. Either way it looks like I will be going to Directv by summer/ when my commitment for my free 510 dvr is up.

I am tired of all this abuse. I already work for the Texas Prison system. I don't need any more abuse from my satellite company. Something better needs to happen on Dish's part , between now and then to change my mind. I really feel like I got the old bait and switch routine from Dish over the 921. I can't in good conscience recommend Dish any longer to anyone of my friends and family. I can't believe I got my Dad & Mom to switch from Directv for this. And I have 2 accounts . One for me and one for my Aunt in Arkansas.

Oh well Sorry Charlie, Greed will get you nothing from me. I am getting off of this sinking ship after 8 years, come summer and moving to the competition. I am going to take my Parents back too. At least they have some rock solid dvrs that work already with NBR features. Oh yeah, and when you buy a hd Tivo you get 2 ota tuners as well as 2 sat tuners, and the software actually works right the first time. That is well worth the $1000.00 I threw away on the 921. :mad:

Why would someone want to BUY a 942? The only thing you are assured of anymore with Dish that the only features that you will ever get are the ones that are working the first time you turn on the unit.
Of course, now I open it up to removing feature because they make the unit unstable :p

I am going to wait until tomorrow befoer I send off my useless email to the ceo address, so I can my time and compose my thoughts instead of a rant.

You notice that when they talked about the 942 pricing they said that the MSRP would be higher than the current reduced price of the 921. This does not rule out a leasing option. It could have an MSRP of $550 or a lease of $9.95 a month ($9.95 since it seems to be the going rate on cable systems right now for rental of a DVR).

gpflepsen said:
Chas said in the last chat the 942 will be shown at CES this January, with it being available this spring. He also said it will be priced higher than the current $549 921 HD-DVR.

Anyone hear if it will be MPEG4 capable?

just like they said current dish network PVRs would support name based recordings.

don't trust dish.

goaliebob99 said:
unfortuanatly his source is true. I was told this too.
Only the 522 of any currently available machines.

I don't believe it.

Maybe they plan on having all new DVR's at a certain point in 2005 to all be MPEG-4 and move their way down to the basic receivers later in 2005 or 2006 and then do a swap out for those that didnt take a lease for an enhanced DVR in 2007 or 2008.

DirecTv may push Dish to have to come up with a lot quicker plans to swap their receivers for MPEG-4 DVR's if they swap everyone of their customers to a DVR. I imagine that they would want them all to be HD as well. Maybe that is what Dish is waiting for, the price to come down on HD hardware before launching all MPEG-4 HD receivers.

Wow that blows for you guys still with DISH. I am glad I bailed when I did and got the HD Tivo. Does the 942 have one or two OTA tuners? If only one then E* really botched it up again.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)