Flash on mobiles/tablets

meStevo

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 20, 2004
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Since I think it's borderline trolling to continue this discussion in the Apple threads when it comes up, thought I'd start a thread to discuss the status of Flash on mobile/tablet platforms. Making a new thread will also allow the Apple guys to ignore this the way Apple actually does while the rest of us enjoy an intelligent discussion about it.

It's coming, in both Flash plugin and Air form, is currently in beta for the Android platform and many devices are touting 10.1 support when they are released this summer.

Here's a couple of simple games from one developer on Youtube.

Simple game from an existing developer:

Not just games... here's a training app built in Flash/Air:

Careful playing these videos, they are likely in flash in your browser, and that's buggy and bloated, just FYI.

Last edited by a moderator:
Air works fine on my desktop, Pandora's app is Air-based.

Mafia Wars is driven by Flash, and works fine - while I don't like some of the things they have done, Flash itself functions fine, and does not slow down the game.

There are some really cool apps made w/ Air, once hardware out there running Android catches up a little it will be really cool to see some of these apps come to those platforms.

It may be driven by the falling out between Google and Apple, but Chrome the browser and Chrome the OS are planning to have Flash built-in
Chrome OS to carry built-in Flash too | Electronista

This doesn't prevent them talking about HTML5 just as much as Apple does.

I don't believe Apple can kill Flash.
And have no doubts if it does survive and improve, the Apple faithful will praise Saint Jobs for this miracle.

Who gives a ****?

Diogen.

Excuse my ignorance, but when I had my xv6800, I had a special plugin for opera that would play those flash cartoons, circa 2007. When I got my TP2 and it was wm 6.1 the flash plugin no longer worked and the version that came out was too buggy, only working with some websites.
Did wm 6.5 ever fix this and does Opera now have a Flash plugin that actually works without freezing up my phone?
I'd like to get flash working again on my phone.

Point 1- If Flash is so easy, why doesn't Android already have full support? Seems it's like windows mobile issues too.

Point 2- Rubin's comment that being on the iphone is like being in a totalitarian government. I don't think the metaphor is valid because usually in a totalitarian government you don't have a choice and you can't leave. Here, we can use what we want from Apple and ignore the rest. That's what I do. I use what is good (for me) with Apple and ignore their stuff that I don't care for. When I use their stuff I accept that it may be closed to some operations I may wish to have but prioritize those desires against the good it brings me.

I typically don't like Flash-based websites but don't mind it for video. The biggest issue I have with Flash based apps is the interfaces some developer put on their flash applications. So I can't blame Adobe for that, but many UIs are just not very good and that will apply to HTML5 Canvas based apps also. Not matter if the technology is open or not, the app design is more important to me. The Mini cooper flash-based site comes to mind from the past (don't know if they still do their site in flash or not) but it was horrible to use.

I don't play any flash games so not really an issue for me.

So when is FROYO supposed to be out?

Not sure, but Adobe announced yesterday that Flash 10 for mobile will be released at the Google I/O conference in May, and then to the general public in June sometime.

I am suspecting that it will be possible to install it separate from the OS, but future versions of the Android OS will have it built in, and thus optimized. But that is just plain old speculation.

So today, if people just have to see Flash content, they should buy the Android tablets or use their ipad with virtual desktop to their PC and access the Flash content that way. It's what I do here. Yes, not as slick as immediate access but it works. What I do find is that the process on the ipad is as easy as closing out of safari, opening up my virtual desktop app on the ipad and entering the URL in Firefox and continue surfing.

It will be interesting to see if flash does make it to the iPad or not. Perhaps Adobe will come out with an energy efficient flash player that Jobs can say is worthy of the iPad. Chances would be enhanced if it somehow could only run signed apps that Apple approved...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts