Flash - pop - bad smell..........oh,oh.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Main power (20-24 pin), additional power (4 pin) and sometimes the PS fan speed contol.
The rest is peripherals...

Diogen.

Yeah, pretty much, but the last one I fixed had a 6 or 8 pin connector on the secondary power/sense connector. They do vary, so replacement supplies tend to have additional plugs and adapters. Best to unplug and replace one connector at a time, until you get good at it.

Yeah, pretty much, but the last one I fixed had a 6 or 8 pin connector...
The only use for the 6-pin power connector I've seen was on those small Dell boxes with an external power supply: the 6-pinner connects this PS to the main box...

Diogen.

Not what I meant.
There are a bunch of thin wires going from the case buttons: power led, reset, HD led, speaker, etc.
One of them is Power Switch.
It has to be connected to a particular pin pair on the mobo, just where all the other wires go.
Without it the PC will behave just like you describe...

Diogen.
I know the ones you mean and I did check them both at the mb and the inside from cover.

edit: these are NOT coming from the PS - right?

Last edited:
There are also 2-3 cables from the power supply to the MB. You only speak of the big 2x pin one. Did you connect the others as well?
We're approaching over my head now. LoL I believe I hooked the new ps up with the same groups of wires to the same places that the old ps had with the only exception being the big 24 pin plug. On that one I had to disengage the 4 end pins and I did that per the instructions and the only way it could go.

This has me puzzled as the only wires from the PS are the big (24 pin) plug and the 4 pin black & yellow. The rest all go to peripherals like the HDD, 2 DVD drives & floppy drive. What are the "2-3" other cables?

Yeah, pretty much, but the last one I fixed had a 6 or 8 pin connector on the secondary power/sense connector. They do vary, so replacement supplies tend to have additional plugs and adapters. Best to unplug and replace one connector at a time, until you get good at it.

diogen said:
The only use for the 6-pin power connector I've seen was on those small Dell boxes with an external power supply: the 6-pinner connects this PS to the main box...

Diogen.

Ok, there IS a 6 pin plug with 3 black & 3 yellow that I did NOT plug into the mb because there wasn't an equivalent harness coming from the old PS. I did however plug in the 4 pin black & yellow that is like what the old PS had.

There is also a tiny 3 hole plug with 2 thin wires (1 black & 1 blue) that I don't have plugged in. I thought that was for fan monitoring.

The only other wires I don't have plugged in are a couple left over plugs on the peripheral harness and a couple independent flat plugs, each with a single Yel, Blk, Red, Blk Org. These are both similar to ones that were also not used on the old PS.

If you are able to remove everything obstructing your view of the motherboard, have a look at the capacitors on it to see if you have bown any of them out. If you have one that has popped open, leaking, or bulging then unless you can handle a soldering iron you will need a new mobo.

bad_cap.jpg

Ok, there IS a 6 pin plug with 3 black & 3 yellow that I did NOT plug into the mb because there wasn't an equivalent harness coming from the old PS. I did however plug in the 4 pin black & yellow that is like what the old PS had.

There is also a tiny 3 hole plug with 2 thin wires (1 black & 1 blue) that I don't have plugged in. I thought that was for fan monitoring.

The only other wires I don't have plugged in are a couple left over plugs on the peripheral harness and a couple independent flat plugs, each with a single Yel, Blk, Red, Blk Org. These are both similar to ones that were also not used on the old PS.

No, you are good. I meant to say 2-3 plugs, and you seem to have them both.

I'm surprised about Antec. I always viewed them as about as good as PC P&C, and have bought a couple.

If you are able to remove everything obstructing your view of the motherboard, have a look at the capacitors on it to see if you have bown any of them out. If you have one that has popped open, leaking, or bulging then unless you can handle a soldering iron you will need a new mobo.

bad_cap.jpg
Actually I remembered this advice from another post - mine all look ok. The only residue smell is located in the old PS, so if something blew on the mb, it's not readily apparent ) - at least to me.

I'm surprised about Antec. I always viewed them as about as good as PC P&C, and have bought a couple.
Actually Antec is the new ps. The old one that blew was a Power Man.

The ANtec is brand new and should be ok. Is there anyway to confirm that it is in fact ok. I'd hate to give up here or spend more time and money trying to figure out what is wrong if, by coincidence the replacement ps is bad too.

Everything electronic is run by "magic smoke" within the parts.

If the magic smoke comes out, it won't work any more. :D

Actually I remembered this advice from another post - mine all look ok. The only residue smell is located in the old PS, so if something blew on the mb, it's not readily apparent ) - at least to me.

Ok, so it sounds like the psu. Probably took out the mobo as well. Just had a Gateway do that. New mb and psu put it back to work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)