DynDNS: Experiences (good and bad)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I've used them for a number of years with no problem with multiple hosts (web, mail, FTP) under my domain name.

I'm just looking for basic stuff so that I can connect in remotely... I don't need it often, but I need it when I need it.

Using a name instead of having to look up the IP address when I need it would be a lot easier.

Thanks for the feedback :)

Add on edit:
I say basic, but I'm looking at my port forwarding map, and I have 8 devices I'm forwarding to so I guess it ain't quite so basic after all.

Last edited:
Worked fine for me. But I don't think they offer a free version anymore. If you're looking for something free you might check out www.noip.com.

Been using the DynDNS Pro for years, for exactly your use case, John. I paid for pro so I didn't have to worry about making sure an update happened every 30 days (since my Cable/ATT U-Verse IP doesn't change THAT often).

absolutely NO issues whatsoever with their service.

For $25/year, it's CHEAP and functional. That also allows up to 32 hosts.

edit: I just CNAME home.lerctr.org to lrosenman.dyndns.org, so I don't have to do anything weird with built in DynDNS clients in routers, etc.

Last edited:
Yep, I received an email the other day stating my free host service, which I've had for probably the last 10-years is going-away and that i will need a subscription in order to receive further service after this month. :(

Worked fine for me. But I don't think they offer a free version anymore. If you're looking for something free you might check out www.noip.com.

Is the purpose of something like this to keep a constant address for remote access without having a static IP address from your ISP? We have a VPN router at the office so we can remotely access our Windows 7 professional machines when we are on the road with a laptop. It works fine until our office IP address changes. Then you have to call and get someone in the office to see what the new IP address is so you can get in.

This is rarely an issue since our IP only seems to change if we lose power or have to restart the cable modem or router for some reason. Still, at $25 a year something like this might be worth it if it can eliminate that problem.

We have our routers register every hour or so. The IP address stays the same for months at a time.

I would say I'm pretty computer literate and I handle most of the minor computer problems around the office. We still used a client of ours who runs a 3rd party IT service to fix any major problems, set up our server, wire the building for ethernet, and get all this VPN stuff setup for us. I don't know the details of how he did everything but I would say that our IP address typically stays the same for months at a time too. The problem is that when it does change everyone in the office needs to make a change to the shortcut he setup on our laptops for us the next time they try to connect remotely. For about half the office this is a daunting task because they aren't exactly computer savvy.

Given that a domain name is in the neighborhood of $5-15/year and paid DynDNS is $25, $30 to $40/year is well worth it. You do not need a glamorous domain name. It is pretty easy to come up with a .info or .us that is short and easy to remember.

king3pj:

That's the point of DynDNS. You have a client that runs at intervals and they update a DNS record that points to that IP address.

So my IP address (10.20.30.40 (Intentionally in RFC1918 space for demonstrative purposes)) becomes jkotches.dyndns.org or .com or whatever TLD they are. When it changes, the client updates them and within a short period (based on the TTL) the entry is updated with the new IP address.

Cheers,

king3pj:

That's the point of DynDNS. You have a client that runs at intervals and they update a DNS record that points to that IP address.

So my IP address (10.20.30.40 (Intentionally in RFC1918 space for demonstrative purposes)) becomes jkotches.dyndns.org or .com or whatever TLD they are. When it changes, the client updates them and within a short period (based on the TTL) the entry is updated with the new IP address.

Cheers,

Cool! We already have a domain for our website and office email accounts so this might be a simple fix. I'll ask our IT guy about it next time he comes in to fix something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts