Flip Saunders Fired!

Personally, I would take a good Massaman or Panang curry over Michael Curry. Anyway, it's time to take out the trash if the Piston's are going to win another title IMO.

I wonder what Larry Brown is up to these days???

Well just to play Devil's Advocate for a minute, if you look at the numbers, the decision isn't not completely without merit.

The Pistons have been to at least the conference finals each year since 2003. They won the NBA Title in 2004 (in an upset victory over that star-packed Lakers team,) and then lost in the finals in 7 games in 2005. This was under Larry Brown (remember him?) Flip Saunders came on for 2006, and each year, they have lost in the conference finals, and they have lost 4-2 each time.

This means that the Pistons have essentially gone no where these past 3 years. They have made it to the exact same place 3 years in a row. When you're a team as revered as the Pistons who is always in the talk every year as a potential NBA champion, and you can't even make it to the Finals, that represents a problem. You can't keep hitting that EXACT same barrier each year with a team that talented and expect to keep your job.

I'm not saying that Flip is a bad coach, and you can point to a bunch of other factors to counter what I'm about to say, but the fact still remains that the Pistons have gone downhill ever since Larry Brown left... They have never reached the same heights they did when he was there since.

Sometimes a change is needed in situations like this.

Chuck Daly said that players stop listening after a while, I would say that Flip's message never sunk in. Flip knew what the job at hand was to win championships, and he didn't get the job done.
Indications are that Dumars won't stop here. Expect the core 5 to be changed as well. All but McDyess have high trade value. See Freep.com for the local papers take on this situation.
The bottom line is that the pieces were there to get the job done, but Flip didn't get it done. Coaches are hired to be fired. Michael Curry is rumored to be high on the list of replacements, but he sure is short on experience. (Only one year as an assistant, here in Detroit.) But he will do what Dumars wants, which would be giving lots a minutes to the young players on the bench.
It will be interesting to see what direction Dumars goes in. Will he be looking to stay competitive right away, or will he be looking to be competitive in 2 seasons with younger players? Hiring Curry might be an indication of the direction, easier to throw a first time coach under the bus with a developing team, than an established coach like Avery. It will be an interesting off season.
By the way, Your Beliefs, I agree 100% with what you said, as does Dumars.

Last edited:
Not like it's HIS fault the starting 5 is getting old.

They all have plenty of playing time left in their careers. What was getting old was them playing together. After last season, you may recall that I said 2 changes were needed, develop the bench and make a change in the front court. They did improve the bench, now Dumars will change the core. A year too late in my book.
We're still sitting in a better position than Phili or Miami.:D

You made a point about Billips and Hamilton being lights out, but you failed to mention that Billups played injured for most of the last series, things may have been different had he not came up lame.
And things would have been different for Boston in the 90's if Len Bias hadnt of overdosed. SO what?

Chuck Daly said that players stop listening after a while, I would say that Flip's message never sunk in. Flip knew what the job at hand was to win championships, and he didn't get the job done.
Indications are that Dumars won't stop here. Expect the core 5 to be changed as well. All but McDyess have high trade value. See Freep.com for the local papers take on this situation.
The bottom line is that the pieces were there to get the job done, but Flip didn't get it done. Coaches are hired to be fired. Michael Curry is rumored to be high on the list of replacements, but he sure is short on experience. (Only one year as an assistant, here in Detroit.) But he will do what Dumars wants, which would be giving lots a minutes to the young players on the bench.
It will be interesting to see what direction Dumars goes in. Will he be looking to stay competitive right away, or will he be looking to be competitive in 2 seasons with younger players? Hiring Curry might be an indication of the direction, easier to throw a first time coach under the bus with a developing team, than an established coach like Avery. It will be an interesting off season.
By the way, Your Beliefs, I agree 100% with what you said, as does Dumars.
Well of course you agree. After all, what was written was from Your Beliefs. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts