Flipped polarity satellites

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Desertnight

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
Up in the sky, out of the way
I am using a DSR922 and SV360 Elite. I need to find out why the 922 has to be turned "on" to view vertical channels on my SV360. :confused:

These vertical channels are almost always on the flipped polarity satellites (vertical channels are even numbers); the 922 does not have to be "on" for the horizontal channels.

But, on W1 103W, the 922 has to be off for the channels to come in on the SV360.

I don't want to leave my 922 on all the time cause I can see faint horizontal lines across the television screen. I do not want to see those faint lines.

I am using only C-Band. The line comes into the house and is screwed into a High Frequency splitter with the power pass port going to the 922 and the other port to the SV360.

Any ideas why the 922 has to be on? Any ideas on what to change to be able to have the 922 in the off position? :)

Why not run the coax to the SV360, and than using the out or loop on the SV360 to the 922. Leaving out the High Frequency splitter?

Like what Long Hair said. The reason is that the way you have it hooked up only one of the receivers can control polarity.
Are you using a LNBF (voltage controlled polarity) or a LNB and feedhorn with a servo?

I am using a DSR922 and SV360 Elite. I need to find out why the 922 has to be turned "on" to view vertical channels on my SV360. :confused:

These vertical channels are almost always on the flipped polarity satellites (vertical channels are even numbers); the 922 does not have to be "on" for the horizontal channels.

But, on W1 103W, the 922 has to be off for the channels to come in on the SV360.

I don't want to leave my 922 on all the time cause I can see faint horizontal lines across the television screen. I do not want to see those faint lines.

I am using only C-Band. The line comes into the house and is screwed into a High Frequency splitter with the power pass port going to the 922 and the other port to the SV360.

Any ideas why the 922 has to be on? Any ideas on what to change to be able to have the 922 in the off position? :)

I don't have a 922 so what I say is based on other receivers, but I'm curious whether you have a VCII module installed? On most C-band IRDs, if they have a VCII installed, when you turn it "OFF", it's not really off, just that the TV display is disabled, and while off, the receivers will often try to locate an active VCII channel (not many of those around anymore). I know my receivers would pause for a minute or so after being turned off, then would start cycling through the channels over and over looking. Not sure if it would ever stop or not.
With a 922, I don't know if they try to do something like that looking for DCII channels or what? But when you turn off a receiver like the 922, the LNB is still powered up, and unless it's doing some kind of searching like I describe, and actually changes polarity on it's own, most receivers will retain whatever polarity you've left it on, because the newer receivers generally send out polarity signals to the polarotor only for a few seconds, then stop, and the polarotor will usually retain that setting (assuming that you're using a polarotor rather than an lnbf).
But anyway, if you do have a VCII module installed, you might try pulling that out, since it obviously isn't of any use anymore anyway. It may stop trying to switch channels on you if you do that.

You hit hit the nail on the head! Just like with the VCII signal the 920/922 receivers when "powered off" will look for a DCII signal. If you "power off" on a non DCII channel and watch the front panel within a few minutes you will see the receiver indicate it has found a DCII signal when the DCII light comes on.

Thanks ya'll. I'm going to try what Long Hair said. Refreshing my memory from LongHair's reply, I seem to remember having done that set up along time ago when I was using the analog receiver as the dish positioner when I first bought my SV360. There were no polarity issues.

Then after having read, and read, etc. etc., I used information I either found on this forum or somewhere else and hooked up the receivers the way I have now. Polarity issues started happening with the flipped satellites causing the 922 having to be on.

Long Hair's answer makes sense to me. Now, since I got my Adjust All Satellite issue resolved, I can look forward to closing in on the flipped polarity issue.

B.J. -- That's true about the VCRS modules and the 922 being on even though the power is off. I remember you telling me a long, long time ago about removing the module. So, I did. Those issues we discussed were resolved. :)
My signature line says I removed all the modules. They are of no use, that's for darn sure!

I'm not trying to switch channels, only watch certain channels without the 922 having to be turned on.

I'll let ya'll know what happens.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts