Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Victor Ortiz

Controversy to end the fight. Ortiz headbutts Mayweather..ref takes a point away, Ortiz goes to apologize to ref...Mayweather lands a 1-2 and TKOs Ortiz while he is talking to the ref....
i watched the end of that fight about 5 times on youtube before they pulled it off. i thought it was disgraceful. typically boxers take a step back get there hands up and then fight. except Money saw an easy way out and took it

Exactly, that's always the risk when someone buys a PPV fight, you never know if it's going to be good or bad. Personally, if I was going to pay $70 for a fight, I'd like at least some kind of guarantee that it'll be a good fight that will last through all 12 rounds. That way, you know you're getting your money's worth. Of course, there's no such guarantee when it comes to boxing (or in any particular sport for that matter). You just have to be willing enough to take the risk and spend the money.

Looked to me the ref put both fighters in their corners and then did the hands together motion to signal that they could go at it again, then the ref was trying to take care of business at ringside as it resumed. I can see room for confusion, but can also see why it unfolded the way it did.

Gif of sucker punch........

8_medium.gif

Gif of sucker punch........

8_medium.gif

Thank HD, that is the 1st time I have seen the video of the conclusion and as much as I agree with "protect yourself at all times". Mayweather is a disgrace to boxing. To say he is a thug would be insulting thugs everywhere.

Have you HEARD the interview AFTER the fight with Larry Merchant?! I have never been a big fan of Larry Merchant, but the disrespectful way in how Mayweather behaved is downright insulting.

There is no video...but get a listen....

Floyd Mayweather vs Victor Ortiz - Post-Fight Interviews with Larry Merchant (HBO) - YouTube

Mayweather is the most disgusting professional athlete of my time. I have never wished bodily harm to anyone...until this man.

The newly crowned champion stood by his words at the post-fight news conference.

“Everyone is tired of Larry Merchant, everyone is tired of him. It is out with the old and in with the new. We need some young hungry reporters doing this now. It is a new era. I don’t regret saying it. I am not saying they have to fire him, but I am saying he needs to be fired.”

there you go....

EDIT:

Here is actual video AND audio of the interview with Larry Merchant... my new hero!

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/blog/bo...ostfight-exchange-Mayweather-vs?urn=box-wp752

Last edited:
Thank HD, that is the 1st time I have seen the video of the conclusion and as much as I agree with "protect yourself at all times". Mayweather is a disgrace to boxing. To say he is a thug would be insulting thugs everywhere.

First time I saw it too...it defines the term "Cheapshot Artist". You don't accept someone's apology, you don't embrace them and immediately sucker-punch them. I hope that I will one day see the refereree turn away while Pacquao beats Mayweather into a fruit-juicy pulp.

I've seen that referee in other boxing matches before and he's usually a good referee. He likes to say that he's "fair but firm." Anyway, I don't think it's completely the ref's fault for not telling Ortiz clearly enough that the fight was back on. He probably could have yelled it out louder but Ortiz still has to keep his guard up through out every single round. Meanwhile, I think we can all agree that Mayweather is an a$$hole. He should have at given Ortiz a second to make sure he was ready so the fight stays fair (at least that's what I would have done) But that's Mayweather for you. A guy who doesn't respect his opponents. (or interviewers for that matter)

Mayweather knocked him out after the referee told them to fight, Ortiz needs to be ready for the fight. Ortiz is the one who blatantly tried to headbutt Mayweather.

Mayweather knocked him out after the referee told them to fight, Ortiz needs to be ready for the fight. Ortiz is the one who blatantly tried to headbutt Mayweather.

Hey...if you see of my post, I have not stated that Mayweather cheated, I have not stated the ref "took the fight away" from Ortiz and I CLEARLY stated that "you gotta protect yourself at all times". Ortiz knows better, but at the same token Mayweather is a scumbag. I understand he want to play the "villian" role in boxing. But IF you are gonna play that role, be a "villian" with balls.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts