FNC large subscriber cost increase

GaryPen said:
Of course I'm a capitalist. Just because I'm not a right-wing, racist, sexist, homophobic, jingoistic, born again, ignorant, hate-filled yahoo doesn't mean I don't believe in making an honest dollar.

The hate that comes from many liberals is unbelivable! In this whole thread, the hatred comes from those that oppose FNC, not from those who support it.

Since FNC has twice the ratings of CNN, they should receive more per subscriber than CNN. However, $0.60 per subscriber for CNN and $1.00 per subscriber for FNC both seem too high.

GaryPen said:
Hey Mutt - "Separation of church and state" is not a cliche. It is the cornerstone of a democratic government. When they are not separated, you end up with the Taliban. A Christian Taliban, perhaps. But, just as bad for a free society.

And, "right to privacy" is another cornerstone of a free and democratic society. Of course, a right to privacy has nothing to do with killing babies. Last time I checked, killing babies was still against the law, and hopefully will remain that way.

Blah Blah Blah

Ultimately all channels may be ala carte in some sort of way when IPTV takes hold (or ala carte will not be needed because of the IPTV service). Everyone could just get the channels directly from the channels themselves which would allow us to get it at a cheaper price or the same price without commercials, have many more packages to where you could order just certain things saving money, and so forth. It would be the ultimate DVR. Everyone would want this service and people wanting the monthly packages would be less. The less demand for something the less the price. There will always be a demand for live television/locals/news though.

CPanther95 said:
1.25 million viewers is a lot bigger than it sounds. That's average viewers during all primetime hours. NBC gets about 8 million - UPN & WB generally get about 3.5 million.

As far as the bias, it's fairly consistent that liberals view the more liberal news sources as middle-of-the-road. And conservatives view the more conservative news sources (or source) as middle-of-the-road. Everyone likes to view themselves and their opinions as mainstream.

Well, then the 1.25M is exactly what I thought it was, a very small minority.

As to your second paragraph, I don't consider myself middle of the road or mainstream at all. And the difference between the FNC viewers and their opinion of FNC and my opinion of CNN & the Networks news programs, is that the FNC people are satisfied with FNC, while I'm not the satisfied at all with the pablum served up by CNN, NBC, et al.

As I said before, I find it entertaining when conservatives label so many media outlets as having a strong liberal bias. As an avowed progressive liberal, I will state that the only "news" programs I know of on E* that I find to be liberal are Bill Maher and Jon Stewart, oh, and the Al Franken show on Sundance. I find CNN to be oh so disappointingly conservative. To the point that I rarely watch it.

Still, as I've said before, they, FNC, deserve a fee that is in line with their ratings. Any entertainment channel deserves as much.

JohnC said:
The hate that comes from many liberals is unbelivable! In this whole thread, the hatred comes from those that oppose FNC, not from those who support it.

John, you are so right. Look who their leader is... Howard Dean... probably the most hate filled individual in politics today. But look on the bright side, as long as he is their leader they will continue to lose national elections. I hope he is the DNC chair for the next 2 - 3 decades. :eek:

GaryPen said:
Hey Mutt - "Separation of church and state" is not a cliche. It is the cornerstone of a democratic government. When they are not separated, you end up with the Taliban. A Christian Taliban, perhaps. But, just as bad for a free society.
QUOTE]

One of my favorite things to do is to ask conservatives about how much mention is made of God in the U.S. Constitution. About 90% of them respond that the Constitution recognizes God or is formed under God or something to that effect.

The correct answer is that the U.S. Constitution makes no mention of God whatsoever. And it makes a point of stating that there shall be no religious test ever required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.

An early justice of the Supreme Court, Joseph Story, explained that statement as meaning: "This clause is not introduced merely for the purpose of satisfying the scruples of many respectable persons, who feel an invincible repugnance to any religious test, or affirmation. It had a higher object; to cut off forever every pretence of any alliance between church and state in the national government."

Tom Bombadil said:
One of my favorite things to do is to ask conservatives about how much mention is made of God in the U.S. Constitution. About 90% of them respond that the Constitution recognizes God or is formed under God or something to that effect.

The correct answer is that the U.S. Constitution makes no mention of God whatsoever. And it makes a point of stating that there shall be no religious test ever required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.

The constitution does not say "separation of church and state" either. Saying a prayer before a football game, having a christmas parade our having under god in the pledge does not establish a state religion. As long as the left keeps attacking the time honored traditions and institutions of the huge majority of people in this country, they will continue to marginalize themselves.

Good luck at the ballot box. ;)

Texanmutt said:
The constitution does not say "separation of church and state" either. Saying a prayer before a football game, having a christmas parade our having under god in the pledge does not establish a state religion. As long as the left keeps attacking the time honored traditions and institutions of the huge majority of people in this country, they will continue to marginalize themselves.

Good luck at the ballot box. ;)
The "time-honered" tradition of saying "under god" in the pledge of alliegence is only 50 years old. It was added during the McCarthy era of rabid commie-phobia, which was mostly athiest-phobia.

Personally, I love Christmas parades. But, that's because I love Santa. He always brings me good toys. (I'm always a good boy.)

As for public prayers before a football game? If it's a public school football game, it's wrong. Period. Religion has no place in gov't funded activities. Any religion. In any public school activity.

You believe in your god, your way. Great. Excellent. Freedom of religion. But, it's just like gay sex. If you wanna practice it, go right ahead. But, don't force me to practice it.

It's wrong when Muslims do it, as you would no doubt agree. It's just as wrong when Christians, Jews, Hindus, or whoever else try to run my life because of some book they believe in.

jimboeau said:
John, you are so right. Look who their leader is... Howard Dean... probably the most hate filled individual in politics today. But look on the bright side, as long as he is their leader they will continue to lose national elections. I hope he is the DNC chair for the next 2 - 3 decades. :eek:

Look I'll agree that what Dean said about the RNC and Hotel staff was something stupid and could be picked apart by Conservatives so instead he should've said paid. Anyway my opinion is that the RNC is biased against Blacks. How can I say this? Look at Alan Keyes. A Right Wing fringe nutjob who sounds more like Jesse Helms than one would EVER expect a Black person to sound. Colin Powell is another example. No I'm not bashing Powell merely showing the Republican politicians don't want Black moderates or people with the wool not in their eyes. Michelle Malkin is another one, I can go on. Clarence Thomas. Show me ANY current Black Republican that is anything but a far Right extremist. Why is this the case? So Republicans can bring them up for a Supreme Court nominee and call the Democrats racist when they oppose them even though it's clear they're more a hard Righty, the minority. Look at John McCain and Hagel, the ONLY Republican moderates we hear about in the news and they're both White. Oh and you might count Arlen Specter. All of these guys are bowing under the pressure of the Hard Right of their party except Hagel. McCain's so intent on being President the blood has left his brain and I think you can parse out the rest. Needless to say he can't see straight. Rove is the jerk who mudd racked him about having adopted a Black or Interracial child. Where in here can you say Conservatives, at least your politicians, while perhaps not racist, still use garbage like that to try to get racist voters to vote for Bush.

Tom Bombadil said:

Actually, Article VII mentions Jesus :D

Article. VII.

The Ratification of the Conventions of nine States, shall be sufficient for the Establishment of this Constitution between the States so ratifying the Same. done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven and of the Independence of the United States of America the Twelfth In witness whereof We have hereunto subscribed our Names,

Tom Bombadil said:
Well, then the 1.25M is exactly what I thought it was, a very small minority.

As to your second paragraph, I don't consider myself middle of the road or mainstream at all. And the difference between the FNC viewers and their opinion of FNC and my opinion of CNN & the Networks news programs, is that the FNC people are satisfied with FNC, while I'm not the satisfied at all with the pablum served up by CNN, NBC, et al.

As I said before, I find it entertaining when conservatives label so many media outlets as having a strong liberal bias. As an avowed progressive liberal, I will state that the only "news" programs I know of on E* that I find to be liberal are Bill Maher and Jon Stewart, oh, and the Al Franken show on Sundance. I find CNN to be oh so disappointingly conservative. To the point that I rarely watch it.

Still, as I've said before, they, FNC, deserve a fee that is in line with their ratings. Any entertainment channel deserves as much.

If you actually expected a majority or even anything near 50% tuned into FOX News nightly, that would be extremely unrealistic. Only the Super Bowl garners that many viewers - once a year.

As far as your perception of the news outlets, you prove my point. The majority of conservatives are not "happy" with FNC in the sense that they feel they are conservative enough. They feel that it is balanced and give the liberal view equal time - while the others lean left. You'll find all but the most liberal outlets to be too conservative - like CNN. (Although, CNN is clearly moving away from the far left in recent years to tap into some of that Fox News audience)

By the way, if you look past the jokes, and the fact that Jon Stewart is a self-professed liberal - you'll probably find that you get more actual news in that half-hour than you will in a days worth of viewing any of the 24/7 news channels.

Sarang said:
Ken you INSULT Liberals like me whenever say every other broadcast TV bit is Liberal. Do they ever show people like Amy Goodman or Thom Hartmann on those channels? No they don't. Nuff said. They're not Left Wing.
Just because something isn't unabashadly Right Wing does not make it Liberal.

I worked in piddly-local news for many years, and here's how it really works.

-The reporters are mostly liberal.
-The editors, owners, ect are mostly conservative.

So the editors send the reporters out to do stories with a right-wing slant. The reporters get pissed and put a liberal spin on the story.

Likewise, if there is a liberal issue that simply can't be ignored, the editors will insist that the reporters seek out one of the few people on the right that will speak against it.

Example...I live in an extremely left-wing town. When Bush came to visit in 2002, there were more people protesting outside the event than actually showed up FOR the event. They bussed in kids that should have been at school. I was assigned WITH a reporter to cover the Air Force One landing, even though the airport was essentially closed so there was no one to talk to. There was another team at the event (which was actually just to promote a Republican running for congress.)

The team at the protest had all the interesting footage and interviews. (Of course, they went out of their way to get the biggest left wing nut jobs on camera.) Their story wound up being cut down by the producers so it focused on the one guy that got arrested. They took out most of the protestor interviews and put in the dull police interview.

But the editors and producers only look at the scripts. They never look at the finished video before air unless it is a super-sensitive story. When we photographers get the homoginized scripts, we wind up editing in the footage that makes the story interesting again. So while the reporter is reluctantly talking about those "bad" protestors, the viewer is seeing shots of school busses with "Help, we've been kidnapped by Republicans!" signs in the windows. If we have a shot where Bush looks particulary goofy, we will linger on it as long as possible, to counteract the verbal ass-kissing.

Actually, the photographers/video editors don't have much of a political agenda- we just hate the producers-and some of the stupider reporters. If the script says "1000's showed up to support the President", we will show as few people as possible. We will shoot one guy standing in the back waving stupidly.

So you have left wing reporters forced to cover right wing stories, filtered through underpaid photographers who distort things just to amuse themselves and spite everything else.

The left sees that their issues aren't being covered, and says the media is biased to the right. The right sees the obvious spin put on by the reporters- and attack the "liberal media". And the photographers do their best to cover-up any actual news that might be left.

That's why I got out of news and into advertising. It's refreshingly honest, comparatively.

CPanther95 said:
If you actually expected a majority or even anything near 50% tuned into FOX News nightly, that would be extremely unrealistic. Only the Super Bowl garners that many viewers - once a year.

By the way, if you look past the jokes, and the fact that Jon Stewart is a self-professed liberal - you'll probably find that you get more actual news in that half-hour than you will in a days worth of viewing any of the 24/7 news channels.

I was afraid FNC was up to around 10%-12%. Learning that it is closer to 2-3% does my heart good. That's still just a fringe element.

I include Steward as a "news" program for exactly the reason you stated. He does pass along a good bit of news. So does Maher. And both are very liberal, frequently criticizing people like Kerry, Edwards, et al for being too conservative (or gutless).

I am a regular church goer. However I believe it is best for my religion, and for your religion, for the government to stay separate from religion. And this separation should never, never, ever be subject to a vote of the people. The last thing we need in the USA is for the Alabama government to be a wing of evangelical Christianity, or for Utah to be a wing of the Mormon church.

As noted by a previous poster, I've known many evangelical Christians who want the right to merge religion and government yet who would vehemently oppose the same for a Taliban-controlled government. Likewise right here in the USA, I doubt we would find many of these same evangelicals who would 100% support and desire to live under a Mormon-controlled state government. Or perhaps even a Catholic-controlled state government.

People who advocate against the separation of church and state should be very careful about what they wish for.

Church run state would not be a good thing at all. Hell, even among Christian Protestants, we have so many different denominations because there are many subtle differences in beliefs. However, there's a difference between the government not endorsing or promoting a single religion (or discriminating against others) and the government banning all references to religion. Recent rulings have gone way overboard in addressing the separation of church and state.

GaryPen said:
The "time-honered" tradition of saying "under god" in the pledge of alliegence is only 50 years old. It was added during the McCarthy era of rabid commie-phobia, which was mostly athiest-phobia.

Personally, I love Christmas parades. But, that's because I love Santa. He always brings me good toys. (I'm always a good boy.)

As for public prayers before a football game? If it's a public school football game, it's wrong. Period. Religion has no place in gov't funded activities. Any religion. In any public school activity.

You believe in your god, your way. Great. Excellent. Freedom of religion. But, it's just like gay sex. If you wanna practice it, go right ahead. But, don't force me to practice it.

It's wrong when Muslims do it, as you would no doubt agree. It's just as wrong when Christians, Jews, Hindus, or whoever else try to run my life because of some book they believe in.

Drinking a beer while watching sunday afternoon football might only be a few decades old, but it is a "time honored" tradition to a great number of people.

Just because there is a prayer going on at a football game does not mean you have to participate in it. No one is going to force you to do it. If it makes you feel left out, oh well. No one is going to burn you at the steak for not bowing your head.

Oh BTW i havent been to church in 3 and a half years. Not even on christmas or easter. And i have no plans of going any time soon.

Texanmutt said:
Oh BTW i havent been to church in 3 and a half years. Not even on christmas or easter. And i have no plans of going any time soon.
You know you're gonna burn in hell, right? ;)

But, seriously, I do agree on how some people do go overboard on references to god in government. However, I will never move an inch on my belief that our government's policies and nation's laws must NEVER EVER be based on religious beliefs. Banning public funding for stem cell research, creationism taught as "theory", banning Harry Potter books in school libraries because they promote witchcraft. These are very dangerous things. Plus, no wonder the rest of the world is starting to think we're a nation of backwards, ignorant, superstitious, morons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)