FNG... got questions!

PokerMunkee

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
Woodland Park, CO
FNG = Fawking New Guy ;)

I've been a DISH customer since 06/01/2011, so not quite a year. I have the America Top 250, with a VIP722K and pay for the Protection Plan.

I am in the middle of running new RG6 cable to my outlets. My house is old, so there is a bunch of cable running on the outside of the house with holes drilled through the siding. I'm going to stucco soon, so I want all outside cables GONE. I will have a single coax cable from each outlet going to my utility room downstairs where the homerun to the dish comes in.

i'm hoping to be able to upgrade for under $200 with one Hopper and two Joeys.

So my questions:

1. Will the installer crimp all of my new cables and install faceplates part of the install?
2. Right now we can only recode 2 shows at once. Will I be able to record more than this at any time and any station? The whole PrimeTime thing confuses me. Will the Hopper only need one Coax cable to my utility room?
3. Where is the best place to buy a Sling? I really want to watch sporting events from my Android phone. Do they need to enable a service (charge me $$) for this to work?
4. Will Copper Clad Steel RG6 work for my runs from the outlet to the utility room? Won't be more than 60' in length, all inside. Should I get dual or quad shield?
5. Does the Hopper support WiFI? I currently have the ethernet thing over the power outlet. I think while I'm running RG6, I'll run a CAT5e cable so the DVR can have ethernet.

Thanx :)
PM

PokerMunkee said:
FNG = Fawking New Guy ;)

I've been a DISH customer since 06/01/2011, so not quite a year. I have the America Top 250, with a VIP722K and pay for the Protection Plan.

I am in the middle of running new RG6 cable to my outlets. My house is old, so there is a bunch of cable running on the outside of the house with holes drilled through the siding. I'm going to stucco soon, so I want all outside cables GONE. I will have a single coax cable from each outlet going to my utility room downstairs where the homerun to the dish comes in.

i'm hoping to be able to upgrade for under $200 with one Hopper and two Joeys.

So my questions:

1. Will the installer crimp all of my new cables and install faceplates part of the install?
2. Right now we can only recode 2 shows at once. Will I be able to record more than this at any time and any station? The whole PrimeTime thing confuses me. Will the Hopper only need one Coax cable to my utility room?
3. Where is the best place to buy a Sling? I really want to watch sporting events from my Android phone. Do they need to enable a service (charge me $$) for this to work?
4. Will Copper Clad Steel RG6 work for my runs from the outlet to the utility room? Won't be more than 60' in length, all inside. Should I get dual or quad shield?
5. Does the Hopper support WiFI? I currently have the ethernet thing over the power outlet. I think while I'm running RG6, I'll run a CAT5e cable so the DVR can have ethernet.

Thanx :)
PM

1. Yes.
2. The Hopper has 3 tuners, so you will be able to watch/record 3 shows at once except during Primetime hours if you have PrimeTime AnyTime enabled, where it will record your Big 4 locals in HD using 1 tuner, freeing up the other 2 to record other things.
3. Thru the Dish Internet Response Team when you order the Hopper.
4. Yes it should work fine, personally I would get Quad that is rated to 3ghz (required for the Hopper / Joey system.)
5. You don't need WiFi, but it does support it. Connecting ethernet to the Hopper will provide broadband connectivity to the whole system. I would go with CAT6 for future-proofing if I were you.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Tech will probably want to replace/use his own fittings anyway, so probably best to leave the cables bare.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts