Focal finder for scalar ring on dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
So in my original thread it was posted that the focal length of my dish is 33.75". So I would need to measure 33.50" ( or is it 34"?) from the center of the dish to my scalar ring?

I've been moving it around all over out there this morning, I can make it worse, but not better. :(
In, out, to the left, to the right ( the support arms are slotted) .

You would need to measure 33.50" to the point of the wave-guide nearest the dish (the inside part of the feed-horn that slides into the scaler ring).

Do not measure that distance to the scalar ring itself.

Fred

When I inserted the waveguide there defintely WAS a sweet spot for signal, and that's where it is, regardless of the distance printed on the side of the waveguide.
Stogie,

I just re-read one of your earlier posts. The markings on the side of the wave-guide are the F/D ratio settings.

Set that first, then the focal distance, then in and out with the whole assembly for fine-tuning.

Fred

Stogie,

I just re-read one of your earlier posts. The markings on the side of the wave-guide are the F/D ratio settings.

Set that first, then the focal distance, then in and out with the whole assembly for fine-tuning.

Fred

Okay, I think I followed that. I am going to take the whole thing off the dish, set the f/d, re install it on the dish, and go from there. Thanks. :up

And, BTW, you're never going to meet ANYONE as anal and perfectionist as I am. So don't worry about me giving up, nor that I will stop trying to get the last ounce of SQ out of it. :)

Correct?

Then measure 33.50 from the edge of the waveguide of the center hub of the dish.

Attachments

• IMG_1164.JPG
    IMG_1164.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 176
If your F/D ratio is .38, then you have it set correctly.

That is correct.

Fred
Its .375. there is no .375 marking...I didn't think .025 hundreths of an inch was gonna matter that much...anyway its blindscanning G11 now...the EWTN's were bouncing between 95-100 SQ. :)

:cool:

Now you are cooking!

That's what you have to do is round up or down some times.

Get the best signal you can on G11 KU, then swing over to White Springs and peak that, then over to AMC6 and peak the signals there on one of the weaker Ku muxes, then back G11 and see if anything has changed, then compromise for ends and middle, and you are all set.

Fred

:cool:

Now you are cooking!

That's what you have to do is round up or down some times.

Get the best signal you can on G11 KU, then swing over to White Springs and peak that, then over to AMC6 and peak the signals there on one of the weaker Ku muxes, then back G11 and see if anything has changed, then compromise for ends and middle, and you are all set.

Fred

The PA Cable Network on AMC6 was pegged at 100 SQ. :) The NASA's were better than I've seen them...above 70 SQ on my Sonicview ( threshold on the SV is around 20-30 depending on FEC, BTW.) which is pretty good. I am going to stop on every sat on the way back down and see what they look like. :)

Thanks Fred looks like I am in bidness! :up

Thanks again.

The TP were better than they were across the arc, they weren't consistant, but then I have no idea what the TP power is for each, either. I have some TP's on some satellites maxed out at 100 %, some at 75%, so I have to assume that the TP's themselves are at different powers.

I think I am pushing what a 7.5 foot dish can do inherently, anyway. :) I know with a smaller dish there are going to be some tradeoffs. I just hope I can lock some special transponders this weekend that I couldn't lock last weekend. ;)

i take it the 100 readings are with the sonicview ...... what kinda signals or how does that equate out to the coolsat :) and thanks guys i'm going to do the same thing this weekend.

i take it the 100 readings are with the sonicview ...... what kinda signals or how does that equate out to the coolsat :) and thanks guys i'm going to do the same thing this weekend.

I haven't checked but one satellite and the readings were similar. :)

those are good numbers over my coolsat on a 7 1/2 fter

i know its a different lnbf but maybe i can get some fine tuning done and bend that arm back straight. to gain a few points :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)